Vain men

ian

I watch the last bit of 'vain men' last night (on sky 3, UK).It showed quite a cross section of gym goers.

The first person they stated as super vain, always in the gym, shaving legs, tanning etc. I bet your imagining a bodybuilder now.... he looked terrible! Clearly one of those people that looks in the mirror and Arnie's looking back at him. In the end he was choosing his wedding gear because he thought it made his legs look big! I swear down you couldn't tell this guy had ever been to the gym, but if you heard him speak you'd have thought he was up for Mr O.

The second guy was a tall fat guy who decided to have surgery to make him look good. He therefore had implants in his legs, calfs, biceps, chest etc. End result, he looked exactly the same, maybe slightly bigger around those areas, but it was clear it wasn’t muscle and while he pretended to be happy with the results he said a lot more work was needed.

The third guy looked really well, big and ripped, think he’d just won a competition to be a cover model of some magazine. The only thing I would say about him is, this lad had the face and physique of a 30 year old yet was only 22? I’ve seen a lot of young gym goers, yet none facially/physically that looked that mature?

Just wondering if anyone else saw it or had any thoughts?

<div>
(ian @ Apr. 11 2008,04:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I watch the last bit of 'vain men' last night (on sky 3, UK).It showed quite a cross section of gym goers.
The first person they stated as super vain, always in the gym, shaving legs, tanning etc. I bet your imagining a bodybuilder now.... he looked terrible! Clearly one of those people that looks in the mirror and Arnie's looking back at him. In the end he was choosing his wedding gear because he thought it made his legs look big! I swear down you couldn't tell this guy had ever been to the gym, but if you heard him speak you'd have thought he was up for Mr O.

The second guy was a tall fat guy who decided to have surgery to make him look good. He therefore had implants in his legs, calfs, biceps, chest etc. End result, he looked exactly the same, maybe slightly bigger around those areas, but it was clear it wasn’t muscle and while he pretended to be happy with the results he said a lot more work was needed.

The third guy looked really well, big and ripped, think he’d just won a competition to be a cover model of some magazine. The only thing I would say about him is, this lad had the face and physique of a 30 year old yet was only 22? I’ve seen a lot of young gym goers, yet none facially/physically that looked that mature?

Just wondering if anyone else saw it or had any thoughts?</div>
i didnt see the show but i think the first passage describes what alot of women are like,i mean shaving legs, always worried about how they look in a pair of jeans ,£100 for a hair cut or perm. except when men do it they are super vain ,go figure.

i guess this comes around through such things as peer pressure and the media which tells women how they&quot;should look&quot; in todays society. and to an extent this is being aimed at men too.

having said that i would never go to the lengths he went to. ok i like to sunbath in summer and like to look good in my clothes, but thats about it. a little vanity never hurt anyone, just not a truck load.

i remember in the 70's and 80's alot, but not all ,men had beer bellies and tashes lol. now we seem to be heading toward the skinny emo types who walk down the street holding hands.

luckily the weight lifting or bodybuilding physique has become more exceptable today.with thanks to people like stalone and arnie.

a lot of it is to do with mag models men and women,who people try to aspire to,not realising that they have probably been dieting/watching food there whole lives,also a lot of the photos &quot;probably all&quot; have been airbrushed,the good thing is in britain they are trying to stop airbrushing going on in the top mags now,which has got to be better.

It sounds to me that whoever made that show doesn't know diddly damn about the average bodybuilder. Had I done a show like that, I would have put the guys in four different camps: competitors, dedicateds (most of us), recreational, and wannabees.
Unfortunately here in the states, the recreational and wannabees are flooding the new &quot;studios&quot; (I dare not call them gyms) and their highest hopes aspire only to come near to the men's fitness models as an ideal.
We shall always be counted as odd, eccentric, vain, overbearing and such as long as our numbers are small and there are those occasional &quot;posers&quot; who make a bad name for the rest of us.
But don't come at me with your &quot;vanity&quot; bull. I mow my lawn, brush my teeth, wash my trucks and cars, do a good job at work and buy my wife dresses because of my vanity.

hahaha calm down, not my title, the programs title!
It did make quite interesting watching though

The first guy looked in the mirror and saw the most perfect person in the world looking back (how many terrible looking guys have we all seen checking themselves out in the gym mirrors while the rest of us are just wondering what they see)

The second guy trying to do it the quick way with implants and being clearly gutted with the results

The third guy looking good after years of training dieting etc and going on the front cover of a mag telling people 'how to look like this in 6 weeks'

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But don't come at me with your &quot;vanity&quot; bull.</div>
I didn't mean to imply YOU Ian, I meant anybody: and I've heard it before. Some people think we walk around kissing ourselves. The guy with the invisible rolls of carpet under his arms and the mirror posers don't help much either.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 11 2008,11:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But don't come at me with your &quot;vanity&quot; bull.</div>
I didn't mean to imply YOU Ian, I meant anybody: and I've heard it before. Some people think we walk around kissing ourselves. The guy with the invisible rolls of carpet under his arms and the mirror posers don't help much either.</div>
LOL yeah the carpets kill me too.

i havent started kissing myself yet but i do look in the mirror when im at the gym ,is this bad?
rock.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 11 2008,11:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But don't come at me with your &quot;vanity&quot; bull.</div>
I didn't mean to imply YOU Ian, I meant anybody: and I've heard it before. Some people think we walk around kissing ourselves. The guy with the invisible rolls of carpet under his arms and the mirror posers don't help much either.</div>
I know exactly what you mean. I look pretty decent and you can tell I work out, so people always assume I spend hours staring into the mirror and that I am extremely arrogant. Maybe I come across that way online but in real life, I am actually quite humble and actually have a low opinion about my body, so...

I think it's typically just jealously on their part when people assume those sorts of things.

im often accused of looking arrogant by people, but once they know me there opinion changes. i get a lot of stares from men too, i dont know if its jealousy,admiration or the &quot;i think i can take him&quot; look. it used to bother me but now it doesnt.

we as bodybuilders are automatically labled as vain and self obsorbed. so be it. its a simple case of prejudice on their part

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 11 2008,19:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe I come across that way online but in real life, I am actually quite humble</div>
Me, too. I am just a humble guy. I hate it when the peons try to get my autograph...
wink.gif

I try to have good posture and when walking around in public I think some people take it as being really arrogant. Walk around with your shoulders back and head up with a decent chest and people take you as trying to be &quot;better&quot; than the rest or something. I can tell some people read me the &quot;right way&quot; and see that I just try to have good posture, though.

Paying attention to your diet and daily routine in a disciplined way and getting success from that has a way of getting some others to question their ways I think, in a way that they really can't deny.

I think society tries their best to write disciplined people off as really vane and self absorbed. By doing that most people can go back to their meat heavy, corn syrup filled, Standard American Diet (SAD) with no exercise being done.
sad.gif

Only if there was a mirror on the fridge door!  
laugh.gif

Mirrors should be standard issue for refrigerator doors. Vain men could then pose with their carpets in front of the fridge before eating their SAD food, replying 'I'll be back' to the fridge. But I'm afraid super vain women would never open the fridge and thus starve to death. So close, but no... Isn't that a tragedy?

Hm, where is my humor?  
wow.gif

Lol, i've nothing against anyone looking posing in the gym mirror every now and again......

well let me rephrase that..... i've absolutely no problem when someone who clearly puts the effort in on a regular basis poses in the mirror. It's when the nubie walks in and stands in between the ronnie coleman and jay cutler of the gym, gets his stomach out and starts posing as if he's superman!

Back