warmup questions

xarfox

how should i warm up
how long and with what intensity
what exercises

does anyone have a structured warm up routine that i could borrow

i know hst says to do 1 to 2 sets, i'm not sure how many warm ups i should be doing before those

thanks!

My entire warm up consists of 1 set each of bodyweight pushups, chinups and squats before my regular worksets. I have doing that for a lot of years and never had an injury. If you do too much, it can take away from the overall effectiveness of your workout.

I agree with O&G. My warmup is similar to what he stated. I think that as long as you get your temperature elevated and your blood pumping a bit, you should be fine. Although I suppose if you are more prone to injury, you may need to do more. I've never had to though.

I like to do at least a couple warm-up sets with most movements, concentrating on an explosive concentric to myself neurally primed for the movement. This is less of a physical warm-up than a performance-related thing.

thanks guys, i like the pushup, chinup, squat warmup
those compound movements pretty much hit all of the muscles

one thing i learned while reading max OT, is that before the real sets it said to do 1 rep of near Max weight (called weight acclimation), this of course is HST, not max ot

i was trying this for awhile and i felt like it helped me push heavier weight

i also read that stretching does nothing to reduce the risk of injury, and previously i've spent a lot of time stretching

i never had a serious injury before, i guess thats why i'm being so cautious

Stretching can actually reduce your performance, according to some studies, so I wouldn't do stretching around weightlifting at all. I recommend stretching though, but in my opinion you should do it at a different time of day or at least wait until after your workout.

According to Thomas Kurz, author of stretching scientifically it is a good idea not to use passive stretches in a warm up but to do them after a work out, maybe as part of a cool down. But dynamic stretches (not to be confused with the potentially injurous ballistic stretching) should be okay for a warmup.

Back