Wave Loaded Caloric Intake

colby2152

I didn't get much feedback when I posted this here in the SST forum, but it deserves its own thread right here.

How should I eat if I want strength but not size? My answer to this riddle is eating at a rate between a slow-cut and maintenance levels. This may be a bit over the top, but what about an HST/strength balanced routine with wave loading applied to caloric intake?

Sample Week
Day - Time - WO - Caloric Intake - Index
Sun AM low 1
Sun PM low 1
Mon AM low 1
Mon PM HST high 3
Tues AM low 1
Tues PM SST medium 2
Wed AM low 1
Wed PM HST high 3
Thur AM low 1
Thur PM SST medium 2
Fri AM low 1
Fri PM HST high 3
Sat AM low 1
Sat PM low 1
Average 1.571428571

The corresponding index values are fairly trivial. The average consumption over the week comes out to be a low to medium caloric consumption equating to a slow cut. Caloric intake is ramped up around HST workouts for optimal protein synthesis. Medium caloric intakes are around the strength workouts for metabolic reasons; you'll need plenty carbohydrates and protein for an efficient workout no matter if you are cutting or bulking.

Thoughts?

seems like it would be worth a try. how it would translate into strength gains but not size gains i have no idea.

honestly that type of eating sched. looks like its just a small breakfast removed from an IF eating style (at least during the week). have you givin any thoughts to going that route during the week and and just having all your intake around the w/o (since your doing a w/o everyday) instead of 2/3 or 3/4?

personally i dont think im real clear on the "problem". i thought the idea was to train legs a certain way so as to not add more mass since you feel you have enough already. ok i understand that (and wish i had that problem) but certainly more lean mass (or keeping what you have) on the upper body wouldnt be a bad idea. i think overall diet is too much of a blunt instrument to be used this way. much easier (more effective) to train the legs slightly diff. so as to limit size gains but eat in such a way as to maximize strength/size gain or retention in all other areas...............especially when cutting.

good luck

My goal is to train the legs differently, and it something that I have been doing. I am simply looking into better ways for a caloric intake on a cut - to center more food around HST workouts for optimal protein synthesis.

I was thinking the same thing as blue. You might try experimenting with an IF type protocol, keeping your weekly total calories around or slightly under maintenance as you said. People are accomplishing some bizarre things with IF, so it may be worth a try. If you stick to a 3x3 protocol with your legs, that probably wouldn't be enough volume to get a lot of growth, so hopefully it would be mostly strength gains, but you could do as you were thinking and keep your calories a bit lower on the leg days and higher on the upper days, then lowest on your non-workout days.

If you want to learn more about IF, you can read through the massive threads on Lyle's site, or check out Work aka Martin Berkhan's site about it at http://leangains.com/

3x3 for my legs may be a better way to go, but I will still be doing higher reps to workout form and build up high rep strength. It's good to hear that you vouch for my wave loaded caloric intake because I think it's a good solution for what I want to do. There is a lot to go through in that guys' training log, but thank you for the link. I tried finding the basics of the IF diet, but I have come up short on Lyle's website and his log. I will admit I didn't research long, but if you have a quick link then that would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks Tot!

here is an interview martin did that spells out the basic frame work of his IF protocol.

http://www.fatlosstroubleshoot.com/if.html

from there i would look thru martins site (not updated very regularly but still has some good info on it) and bodyrecomp. if memory serves there was a post requesting a compilation of most (if not all) the IF threads and in the 1st few posts was half a dozen thread links about IF (not all good threads mind you but most had some real good info).

if i can find it again ill link it.

im currently on a IF eating bulk. still too early in the game to come to any real concrete conclusions but it seems real promising. personally i did about 2-3 months of reading/research on IF (as well as other diet strategies) before feeling comfortable with what its really all about. lyles site has quite a bit of info on it but you have to read thru a lot of stupid posts and BS to get to any real good useable info. outside of lyles and martins site there is very little.

who knows, it may turnout to be another passing fad or the beginings of real good "partitioning" strategy. time will tell. all i can say is from what ive read and exper. there certainly seems to be some value to it.

hopefully come summer ill have something more substantial to talk about in regards to IF.

Tot and Blue,

Thank you for the IF information, but after reading through some of the literature I find it is not for me. I really would not be able to do 16 hour fasts every day. Some of the evidence in the research that backs IF may support my advanced caloric cycling approach. Once again, this IF scheme looks great, but it will not work for me. I do not like to fast, and my brain is fried in the morning until I have some food. Right then and there, my fast would stop at about 8-10 hours depending on the last time I ate the night before.

Thanks guys!

it is certainly not the right approach for everyone and lyles site abounds with folks who have customized it (for better or worse) to meet there needs/sched. etc.

i will throw out this caveat though. when i 1st gave it a shot i was wrapping up my own cut but my sched was such that the regimented w/o and diet set up of ud2.0 was too difficult to continue. decided to try IF (recomp)for a few weeks as a trial run since most literature concerning IF is about recomp or cutting not bulking which was up next.

i was convinced this was NOT for me. i have trouble eating any serious amount in 1 sitting, love breakfast, keep a fairly busy/active sched. and hate to be hungry. i figured id give it week or two and then move on to plan A (since i was sure id hate this approach).

well ill spare you the details but i quickly came to like this approach and im pretty excited about my results to date (both recomp and gain) as well as the future possibilities.  

again its not for everyone and i think a week or so would tell you what you need to know. at least in my exper. what i "thought" would be problems and limitations turned out to be anything but.

just keep it in mind for future reference......im thinking well be seeing more and more written about it.

good luck with the current plan. ill be watching your log.

yes
i eat from 3pm to around 10-11pm. amount and cals and macros vary depending on recomp or cut or bulk as well as w/o non w/o days.

im a pretty strict dieter but i am also realistic. if its more convienient or im real hungry i eat a little earlier or a little later etc. some days (holidays etc) its just makes more sense to eat "normally" so i do...........havent noticed any real diff. since these are usually 1-2 day changes.

i stick with the basic 8/16 set up each day.........once your body/mind/apppetite adapts to that sched. it actually quite easy to maint.

i dont have much exper. with other "options" (such as normal weekend eating etc) but i dont see why they wouldnt work. as long as cals are still kept in the right range.

honestly i find your orig. idea interesting. as time goes on, like i said before, you may find that your only a small breakfast away from IF which puts a whole days intake just before and after a w/o. might be worth giving it a shot to see how you respond.

Thanks for your input Blue! I think I will try my caloric wave loading idea... It is similar to IF except with a period of low caloric intake instead of an all out fast.

I really couldn't find anything relating to this topic at Lyle's board. The closest I get is intermittent fasting, so I assume those same principles can be applied here. I may end up doing an IF anyways, and this would be my transition phase into an IF diet.

IF Basics

Holy cow, on WO days that would be 480 grams of carbs for me, and in an 8 hour windows no less!
rock.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

There are various ways to approach this

Bascially if using IF or whatever type eating plan I would suggest that at the end of the week cals are around maintenace level. Try to maximzie nutrient timing.

thanks
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com

<div>
(coach hale @ Feb. 04 2008,18:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There are various ways to approach this

Bascially if using IF or whatever type eating plan I would suggest that at the end of the week cals are around maintenace level. Try to maximzie nutrient timing.

thanks
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com</div>
Eat at maintenance even if I am cutting?

Back