weak weak weak shoulders

After reading this thread I think I will switch BN presses for military and change out upright rows for lateral raises. No real problems but slight discomfort lately tells me it's time to avoid possible trouble.

I think that much of it may be from benches, though. I've been working lighter lately, just getting up to intermediate weights, and have been going slower in my reps. Thinking about it, I've also been hitting the chest a bit higher. When I'm going heavier I tend to touch below the nipples and move the bar back to shoulder level as I get closer to lock out. This has the effect of keeping my elbows closer to my body (I use a grip a little wider than shoulder width) until the bar is well above my chest.

I think that I probably need to make sure that I keep this technique even with lower weights that don't force me to do it that way. Touching at or above the nipples seems to be affecting my shoulders, when doing it the other way with heavier weights doesn't.

<div>
(Fausto @ Aug. 07 2006,08:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One suggestion that worked well for me, one day military presses, the other a superset of seated incline lateral raises followed by rear lateral raise with no rest, three months of that and I was soon pressing my body weight! try it!</div>
Fausto, I just happened across a post in one of the old stickys where you linked to an article on Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum (try saying that 3 times, real fast!).

Did you ever find any of those exercises necessary or helpful, as opposed to more standard compound exercises like you mention here?

Just curious....

I looked at the article and thought that with HST they would be used at the end of a workout as specialty work, rather than an 'exersize' in the routine itself. Interesting though.
I may switch to BB overhead presses since I've been doing 'A' laterals for a long while. I find that I can do these with a lot of weight. You put the D/B's in front of your lap, and raise them (pronated, of course) slightly in front rather than directly to the sides, as high as you can go, then pull the elbows in a bit (still swinging up) and press them overhead, all the while trying to do as little pressing in the ROM as possible. In other words, you try to do a full lateral. The heavier you get, the more you'll have to press, at least that's how it's gone for me. I'm using about 48 lbs. now in the 8 rep range. It turns into a press about level with the ears for me.

Lifting N Tx

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto, I just happened across a post in one of the old stickys where you linked to an article on Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum (try saying that 3 times, real fast!).

Did you ever find any of those exercises necessary or helpful, as opposed to more standard compound exercises like you mention here?</div>

Yes, for healing purposes, I use most of them for a warm-up before starting any lifting!

Can't see myself doing cuban presses as a standard shoulder exercise, no siree! I believe in Military's, OHP's, Push presses, but darn shoulders need TLC so these awkward funny looking L-flyes and such stuff are good to get the rot cuffs in order.

Hope this helps.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Aug. 24 2006,16:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto, I just happened across a post in one of the old stickys where you linked to an article on Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum (try saying that 3 times, real fast!).

Did you ever find any of those exercises necessary or helpful, as opposed to more standard compound exercises like you mention here?

Just curious....</div>
I injured my shoulders, especially my right one, during the 5's in my first HST cycle. Too many sets.
Anyways, I took about 20 days SD, then started cycle #2. Instead of doing any direct shoulder work, I am doing the exercises listed in that article. Cubans, 45Degree, external rotation. 20 reps, maybe going down to 15, depends how it goes.

I've just started so I can't say how its gone. My shoulder is still sore, but it is has been getting better since the days I injured it, and the workouts have not stopped that progress, so for me thats good. In a few weeks I'll have a better idea how its going.

Thanks, Fausto. I think I'll play with these a bit on off days, just to see what they feel like. Preventative medicine is a good thing.

Good luck with the rehab, Tradnyx.

I have rotator cuff problems and my shoulders are weak, but I have a feeling it is my rotator cuff wich is giving way not my deltoids, I went to a physiotherapist who gave me excercises to do, and its exacly the same infomation thats in this link, personally I think every weight lifter should do these exercises as shoulder clicking is common and annoying.

http://familydoctor.org/265.xml

My shoulder problems have been agrivated badly, they click when I reach for things, do a shoulder shrug movement or a bench press movement, even when I reach for a bottle of water or my cd player in my car, I went and saw a physiotherapist and I was told I cant lift heavy and that it would take 6 months to get better.
The exercises I am on at the moement are for my scapula to correct my posture and it is giving me sharp pain in my lower traps, and it hasnt improved the clicking at all.

So I am going to indonesia to see a physiotherapist there.
My mate had a really bad lower back problem and he was getting physio here in Australia for 3 months with barely any improvement, he went to indonesia for other reasons and was refered to go see a physiotherapist there and his back was fixed in 1 week, its been months now and he has had no back problems at all.

uhh i think my post is missing. i remember posting a question whether to continue doing presses on the smith machine because my shoulder clicks everytime i push. it doesn't hurt but it's disturbing. so..anyway...what do you guys say?

Smith machines take up valuable gym space (space that could be used for a lifting platform and bumper plates) and should be avoided, unless for use as a towel rack.

They also make a handy chin up bar substitute if there's no handles in your gym for shoulder width supinated chins!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(skinnyman @ Sep. 17 2006,06:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">uhh i think my post is missing. i remember posting a question whether to continue doing presses on the smith machine because my shoulder clicks everytime i push. it doesn't hurt but it's disturbing. so..anyway...what do you guys say?</div>
I remember reading somewhere if it doesn´t hurt, you are okay.
I would still have it checked first. On ceratin days, there is a symphony being played in my right knee when I do squats, but it is checked and given the okay.
The Smith machine is the devil manifested in machine.
It is good for towels, pull ups and even those funny pull ups which
are very low, like reverse push ups.

I also have/had clicking shoulders. Did recommended exercises (while not working them directly) and the problem slowly went away.

But it just came back.

I was doing BN presses for years, and continued to do them after the therapy exercises.

If you want my advice avoid BN presses like the plague....looking back.....I know that's what has given me such shoulder issues.

I'm a newbie but a longtime lifter. I quite doing military presses years ago. Once you get into heavy poundages, you are likely to have an injury whether behind the neck or in front of it. (Ditto for upright rowing.) Forward dumbell raises done with good form will give you just as good development.

Back