Week Hammies?

Fausto

HST Expert
Hi guys

I know this questions has been around before.

Here's the problem, when doing my last week of deadlifts, at 120 Kg x 5 x 3, my legs always shake when I first lift it off the first and second reps, after that it stops.

I feel this is week hammies, I could be wrong, but if it is, what is the best corrective approach?

SLDL's? Good mornings? Leg curls?

Some good opinions from the big dead lifters...and others of course, would be most welcome!
biggrin.gif

I've got good results from seated leg curls, but when I started Squatting ATG I got sore in the hams. I also found out that SLDL besides working the ham (didn't get sore from these) also improve stretch.

Personally, I prefer RDLs to SLDLs and feel they benefit my hamstrings more than SLDL...

RDLs rule for hamstrings. I always get so sore from these, its hard to walk or sit on the toilet the next day!

RDLS: start at the finish position of deadlift, standing up straight, arms holding bar at sides, now bend at the hip only, (not the spine) and let the bar drop below your knees (as deep as you can go with your own hamstring flexibility) and then go back up. A great exerise for hamstrings and lower back.

I'll also cast my vote for RDLs. Just to add to what Sci said: keep the bar next to your legs the whole time too. It shouldn't move away from your legs as it would in a typical SLDL. Unlock your knees slightly (and don't let them move forward at any time during the movement) and then shove your hips back as you allow the bar to begin to descend. You should feel the tension in your hams increase all the way to the lowest point (which will depend on your flexibility). If you can get the plates to touch the floor you will be experiencing a pretty good stretch by then.

i only do RDLs,i dont like stopping at the bottom it gives me back trouble,i would rather keep the stress on the back all the way through.

So RDL's is the solution, is this the dillema?

Is there a purpose in Rack pulls? Does it help one's Deadlift?

Rack pulls are used to train the top portion of the deadlift from just below knee level to lockout. Heavier loads can be used than would be possible for a deadlift. Rack pulls specifically focus on the hams, glutes and lower back with very little quad involvement - you start the movement with your shins just about vertical and with the bar against them. They are less taxing on your CNS than the full deadlift movement which can help to manage fatigue.

Regular deadlifting gets more and more taxing the stronger you get, so partial movements like rack pulls and haltings are a good way to be able to train for the deadlift without incurring as much CNS fatigue. Ripp suggests that rack pulls and haltings can be alternated on a weekly basis. I suppose this way you could do a full deadlift once every three weeks. Of course, the partial movements are also useful if you have a specific weak point in the deadlift. Just pick the one that works your weakness.

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 07 2008,6:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Personally, I prefer RDLs to SLDLs and feel they benefit my hamstrings more than SLDL...</div>
Yup, I've had some success with RDLs, too.

Guess I have to plead ignorance again. What is the difference between the RDL, the SLDL and the Straight-Back SLDL? The ExRx site is good as it centralizes a lot of information but the description of the lifts isn't very clear and that low quality video doesn't help.
While at it, do you guys know of a good, centralized site that shows explains lifts and has videos with good form?

<div>
(electric @ May 08 2008,11:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Guess I have to plead ignorance again. What is the difference between the RDL, the SLDL and the Straight-Back SLDL? The ExRx site is good as it centralizes a lot of information but the description of the lifts isn't very clear and that low quality video doesn't help.
While at it, do you guys know of a good, centralized site that shows explains lifts and has videos with good form?</div>
An RDL is a variation of a SLDL. Don't think about raising and lowering the bar. Concentrate on sticking your butt out towards the wall behind you your back arched while keeping the bar in light contact with your legs. The bar will go up and down by itself. The amount of knee flexion is up to you. Try it with an empty bar to get the feel. You should feel it in your hamstrings.

Watch the following lengthy video. It's well worth the time.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

I'm glad to see this post.

I have a real problem with STDL (my lower back pumps up so much I can't walk)

And leg curl just aren't very effect IMO

This might be a good alternative

Seems to have the benefits of SLDL without the overstressing the lower back

Thanks guys, its a lot clearer now what I must do!

Lol great advice there, since I haven't excatly did that many rack pulls in my time, any old &quot;trick&quot; to keep &quot;milking&quot; the 5's is worths its weight in gold.

Can't keep going for much longer, the joints are starting to tell me its time to take a break, but there is still a little way to go, maximum 2 weeks!
wink.gif

I'm a deadlift fanatic and have been for about 15 years. With the any of the SL variations, when the bar goes more than 2-3 inches below the knees, you are probably shifting the tension from your hams to your back.

I personally squeeze at the top and bottom of SLDL and typical deads (I don't touch the floor on typical deads either).

If you feel your quads are overpowering your hams, you're probably going too deep. Also with typical deads, try bringing your feet just slightly wider and turn your toes out just slightly (maybe 15-30 degrees) to shift some tension from quads to the ham/glute focus.

Back