Weight gainer? recommendations

HST newbie

I'm a severe hard gainer, and have found that I put on fat very easily when trying to gain. I have a small appetite and there's no way I can eat 2800+ cals of solid food a day (required for me to bulk) with my schedule and my appetite. So, what's a recommended gainer? Muscle milk (seems to have lots of fat even thoug they claim it's good fat), Cytogainer? something else someone might recommend?

Dear HST newbie,

Perhaps, make a muscle-building cocktail of thine own?

1. Milk (skim or whole - how much calories do you want?)
2. Fruit - bananas, peaches, mangoes etc
3. Natural Peanut Butter - this is good stuff. Add flax seeds or olive oil too if you want.
4. Protein Powder - get a standard WPI or perhaps, WPC.
5. Extras - cocoa powder, ice-cream, yoghurt, barley malt, milk powder etc.

Add all this to a blender and away you go. Takes some effort in quantifying how much of each you add for how much calories but do it once right and you'd have a standardized drink from then on.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

man diabanol - your recipies are so inspiring! Good stuff :)

Curious tho: What's the upper range of calories you could consume in a single "drinking" for good efficacy? (efficacy with respect to efficient digestion and balanced/healthy utilization of body. Would saturating it with (healthy) calories cause it to store more as fat, or create undesirable/desirable conditions in the body?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Mar. 24 2004,12:15)]Curious tho: What's the upper range of calories you could consume in a single "drinking" for good efficacy? (efficacy with respect to efficient digestion and balanced/healthy utilization of body. Would saturating it with (healthy) calories cause it to store more as fat, or create undesirable/desirable conditions in the body?
If you have to eat 4000 kcals per day and you eat all of them in two meals you will create two big anabolic bursts. If you eat them in six meals, you will create six smaller bursts. You will store more fat after the two big meals but you will burn it later because you will go more time without any meal. In the long run you want to have a more steady flow of nutrients to your muscles so more meals will probably result in better partitioning (AFAIK studies on old people showing better gains with fewer protein meals have not been replicated in young people or bodybuilders). Especially for protein, timing is more important.

As for digestion problems, it depends on the indivindual and the food ingested.

I have made good progress with a product call Mass fuel from Twinlab, I still use it. However, i get it from Belgium i don't if you can get it in your country given that Twinlab uses different label for Europe.

You can actually improve your intake of Protein , Fat .etc.... by watching what you are eating and not by blindly trying to eat a big quantity of anything...
I am relatively skinny.
So I wrote a diet that includes calorie calculations(all based on science) that would allow me to gain weight , considering the fact that I also have a rapid metabolism.
I tried to follow it, but it was impossible to eat that much...
So I discovered that I could substitute many things with one thing that has more Protein and Fat in total..
So now I have a diet in which the quantity of what I eat is actually smaller but the protein/fat/... is the same. And I am able to follow it.
And I have to say, I surely didnt get suddenly bigger overnight but it is definitely working. I can definitely notice a difference now two weeks into this diet..
hope this helps
Roland

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HST newbie @ Mar. 19 2004,6:46)]I'm a severe hard gainer, and have found that I put on fat very easily when trying to gain. I have a small appetite and there's no way I can eat 2800+ cals of solid food a day (required for me to bulk) with my schedule and my appetite. So, what's a recommended gainer? Muscle milk (seems to have lots of fat even thoug they claim it's good fat), Cytogainer? something else someone might recommend?
If using the 16 Multiplier then you weigh in the neighborhood of 175+-, if you are getting 8 hrs of sleep a night then that leaves 16 hours of eating time. If you tried to eat 7 meals a day @ around 400 cals ea. You could be able to eat your 2800 cal/day. But we all know it is extremely hard with job pressures and other commitments to eat every 2.25 hours. So I would recommend bulk loading your meals for Breakfast and Lunch of 600 Cal ea, then two quick protein drinks for meals 2 and 4, adding say 300 cals. So we are up to 1500 cal and still have pre workout, dinner and bedtime snack. A well balanced 600 cals for dinner plus your 300 cal pre workout drink, a glass of milk and peanut butter sandwich for bedtime and you got your 2800. Keep your heavy carbs in the morning and pre workout. Keep fats to good fats.

Muscle milk is a great product - I lost bodyfat on it while putting on some weight. However, if you really want to pack on the pounds dont rely on a protein powder supplement! Look at all the mass-gainers out there and you will see they are mostly carbs - and lots of sugars at that.

I know you want a quick fix but lots of real food is the way to go. Lots of complex carbs especially. So dont miss your oatmeal in the morning! A great thing I do is microwave a bunch of sweet potatoes and snack on one or two (cold) while I am at work. But I love sweet potatoes.

Plus I hope you are putting in your time at the squat rack.

Back