Weightlifter's Headache

BoSox

This is something that's been bothering me since about a week ago. I've seen it on other boards but I've never really found a reliable consensus on what to do about it.

Last week I was going particularly hard on a heavy set of squats. After I racked the bar, I noticed by head was POUNDING, just an awful pain mostly around the back of my head, around the base of the skull and the neck. At the time, it is quite possible that I wasn't breathing correctly (valsava maneuver perhaps) and somehow caused this. However, this was over a week ago and still, whenever I even nominally exert myself (ie. hit my 6th rep using my 10RM) it starts to come back.

I rested it until today and its still hanging around. It's frustrating because avoiding something as intense as squats isn't enough, it seems like anything will cause it now. How long does it take for this to go away and is there anything I can do to help it?

Time, it's the only thing I found that get's rid of it and acetaminophen. Mine comes and goes particulary in the heavy stuff during squats and bent rows. I noticed it more during HIT than HST but it still comes every now and then, I think it has alot to do with breathing. I had one so bad one time I thought I had given myself an aneurysm, during deadlifts, went to the doc and he said it's called exertion headaches. I've had them last as long as two weeks, everytime I worked out.

my BP is normal, I forget what but I'm 18 and very active, no history of high BP etc, although I know BP can get very high during strenuous weight-lifting, which I was sure doing (15 rep squats)

The problem now is that I'm not returning anywhere close to that level of exertion but I'm still getting that headache, so for the time being I have a heightened sensitivity to this problem.

Try an anlagesic before the workout, stear away from tylenol though, try advil or plain ole aspirin. It helps dull mine enough so I can still workout.

do you get it often? because this isn't just a regular migraine. In fact it feels fine until I start lifting, which makes it hard to judge whether it has improved because I have to lift in order to feel it.

Do they start to resolve on their own even if you are still working out?

The problem isn't probably your head it could be something else , have you gone to the doctor? it could be something wrong with you spine. Like your form is putting to much pressure on the nerves inside the spine as you lift, that can also cause headache.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ April 24 2005,9:51)]do you get it often?  because this isn't just a regular migraine.  In fact it feels fine until I start lifting, which makes it hard to judge whether it has improved because I have to lift in order to feel it.
Do they start to resolve on their own even if you are still working out?
I haven't had one now in about a month, they only come when lifting and subside about 30 minutes to an hour after I'm done lifting. Generally when I am in the heaviest stuff, or I hold my breath during a lift, needless to say I am now very conscience of my breathing during lifts. For me they come on quickly and that's how I know it only happens when lifting but once started they re-occur (only when I lift) for about a week or so. I've had them so bad that I had to stop lifting and lay down for the rest of the evening. I notice it more, like I said in squats, bench (decline, when I used to do them), leg ext (only in heavy work) and bent rows (rarely). The local pain is around the top portion in the back of the skull and radiates down to the base. HIT used to give them to me a lot more often. I guess the exertion of really pushing to failure. Now what I do after the first one occurs, is take some advil immediately, aspirin makes me ill, and then take advil before each workout which seems to help a lot, even though they come they aren't nearly as severe and I can at least workout.
They seem to stop on their own for me after about a week or sooner (5 days or so) even when I am still working out.

I strongly recommend going to see your Doctor, just in case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exertional Headache
Benign exertional headache has been recognized as a separate entity for more than 60 years. In 1932, Tinel (7) first described severe but transient headaches following exercise. Since then, these headaches have been associated with exercises such as weightlifting (8) and wrestling (9).

Recent studies (8-10) have delineated a clear-cut exertional headache syndrome: Straining or a Valsalva-type maneuver precipitates the acute onset of severe throbbing pain, usually occipital, for a few seconds to a few minutes. The headache then settles to a dull ache lasting 4 to 6 hours. In subsequent weeks to months, the headache recurs with exertion. The patient has no history of migraine and a normal neurologic exam.

In the largest series to date, Rooke (11) followed 103 patients with benign exertional headaches and found that approximately 10% had an organic cause for the pain, usually a skull-base anomaly. Clearly, the major differential diagnosis--subarachnoid hemorrhage--needs to be excluded by appropriate investigation.

Exertional headaches are thought to be vascular, but this is unproven. According to one theory, exertional headache occurs because exertion increases cerebral arterial pressure, causing the pain-sensitive venous sinuses at the base of the brain to dilate. Studies of weight lifters (12) demonstrate that, with maximal lifts, systolic blood pressure may reach levels above 400 mm Hg and diastolic pressures above 300 mm Hg. The throbbing, migrainous nature of these headaches, together with the finding (13) that intravenous dihydroergotamine mesylate can relieve them, supports the supposition that these headaches have a vascular basis.

A related type of vascular headache caused by sexual activity is termed benign sex headache or orgasmic cephalgia (13). Angiographic studies (14) of both benign exertional and benign sex headaches have demonstrated arterial spasm, further implicating the vascular tree as the basis of these conditions. However, despite their vascular nature, no convincing association with migraine is demonstrable.

Treatment strategies include NSAIDs such as indomethacin at a dose of 25 mg three times per day (15). In practice, the headaches tend to recur over weeks to months when the patient performs the provoking activity and then slowly resolve without treatment, although some cases may be lifelong. In the recovery period, a graduated symptom-limited weightlifting program is appropriate.

7.Tinel J: La céphalée à l'effort, syndrome de distension douloureuse des veines intracraniennces. Médecine 1932;13(Feb):113-118
8.Powell B: Weight lifter's cephalgia. Ann Emerg Med 1982;11(8):449-451
9.Perry WJ: Exertional headache. Phys Sportsmed 1985;13(10):95-99
10.Diamond S, Medina JL: Prolonged benign exertional headache, in Critchley M (ed): Headache: Physiopathological and Clinical Concepts. New York City, Raven Press, 1982, pp 145-149
11.Rooke ED: Benign exertional headache. Med Clin North Am 1968;52(4):801-808
12.MacDougall JD, Tuxen D, Sale DG, et al: Arterial blood pressure response to heavy resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol 1985;58(3):785-790
13.Hazelrigg RL. IV DHE-45 relieves exertional cephalgia. Headache 1986;26(1):52
14.Silbert PL, Hankey GJ, Prentice DA, et al: Angiographically demonstrated arterial spasm in a case of benign sexual headache and benign exertional headache. Aust N Z J Med 1989;19(5):466-468
15.Diamond S, Medina JL: Prolonged benign exertional headache: clinical characteristics and response to indomethacin. Adv Neurol 1982;33:145-149

thanks a ton Dan, for the "official" info and for the personal experience. The big thing I was wondering (which you answered
thumbs-up.gif
) was about the recurrence, at least in your experience. Because it's definately getting better, so I'm glad to have some rough idea of when it should subside.

I'm taking another day or two off then I'll probably give a relatively less intense workout a shot, after an advil or two.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ April 25 2005,2:50)]thanks a ton Dan, for the "official" info and for the personal experience.  
Honestly the first time it happened to me it scared the hell out of me, I thought I had popped something. Anyway the article was sent to me by my Doc after I went to him, he's cool, young with a ponytail, neat guy
thumbs-up.gif
anyway I hope it gets better, but I would still check with a Doc.
I also have personal experience with tineas versicolor (fought it for years), if you ever get it I'll tell ya what gets rid of it. Hope not though
thumbs-up.gif

This probably doesn't apply to you, but here goes anyways.  I experienced the same thing last summer where I would get major headaches right in the middle of my sets.  I tried everything (breathing correctly, etc ...) to try and get rid of it and nothing worked.  I saw a thread on a bb board about aspartame headaches, and since I had been taking a protein powder artificially flavored with aspartame for quite some time, I decided to switch to one flavored w/out aspartame and the headaches were gone in a couple days.  Apparently these aspartame headaches are more common than you might think, and if you've been using a protein powder frequently w/ artificial flavoring it's worth a shot.

Hey BoSox, I've gotten those exertion headaches, too, exactly as you describe. In my case, I was at the bottom of a hack squat when all of a sudden I felt the most blinding pain at the base of my skull. I had to stop where I was and crawl out out of the machine, it was so excrutiating.

Every time I tried to weight-train after that I'd feel the pain start to return, even just a few reps into a set. It forced me to take a layoff. Frustrating as hell, but my body was telling me to knock it off. So I focused on cardio for a couple of weeks, and when I came back to the gym, the headaches were history.

I think time (not too much of it, luckily) is the only thing that helps.

well, for anyone that's interested, I hit the gym yesterday for a decent workout, pretty un-intense though. I'm staying away from squats until next week and I stayed a good 3 reps away from failure at least, and I was able to work out with no pain at all. Granted, whenever I felt myself working even a little too hard, I ended the set. For sure though, I'm much better.

It took me a little over a week off from serious lifting, for anyone who's wondering and ever ends up with the same situation. I wanna thank everyone for their help, I found plenty of medical info on "exertional headaches" online, but nothing helped more than the experience of others. Thanks guys
worship.gif

hey BoSox

The Same thing happened to me, I loaded my bar with some weight and figured I pump out as much squats as I can (I was bored maybe... no logic behind it) I hit 15 reps felt it then on my 19th rep it came back really bad and I had to rack the weights, wobble over to my room and then I passed out on the floor.

I took 2 weeks off then adopted a diff squat stance and it's been 2 mnths and I'm back with the heavy weights with no more headaches

interestingly enough my squat stance before was rather narrow and my feet were lined parallel to each other, now the stance I use is about shoulder width, and with my toes pointing slightly outward this stance lets me go pretty low also.

maybe it could be b/c to get really low (I full squat not half like everyone else in the local gyms here) I was overtaxing something or the other to make it right down. My form didn't suit my frame/build.

Get some weight lifting trainers or some HEAVY squat veterans to critique your form

good luck
hope your back to squatting soon!

To prevent Exercise Induced Headache try starting your exercise sessions with some light neck work and then switch the order of your exercises so that you finish with the most demanding exercises such as squats, leg presses, and deadlifts. This has worked for many.

Back