Weights, cardio and stuff log

A word about cardio...
I haven't gone thru each post, but you mention it in your title...
In my opinion, light cardio is okay if you're wanting to burn a few more calories a day and start dieting down...
But interval is much more effective at burning fat and preserving muscle than straight up cardio.

I'd only do cardio work if I was training for a marathon...which I'm sure most here aren't.

I work on a indoor rower, 20 min a day, doing a pyramid interval routine, and in 3 weeks, I've probably dropped my body fat percentage nearly in half (mostly around my midsection)...
Everywhere else, I'm ripped.
At 43, the tummy fat is stubborn!

The routine looks like this...
0A0B3040-91E3-4724-8E82-67B6E65A3C00-3642-0000024F74375680_zps056854cd.jpg

On the high intensity interval, I go as HARD as I can...

Another routine I use is this one...both are killer!
7415EDE5-143B-42B5-B5C9-15F4B6597201-3642-000002507267F344_zps7a552e0a.jpg

My HST routine is pretty much by the book, every other day (I don't take off two days during the weekend)...sometimes I do an AM/PM split.

As far as my interval training, on my off days, I'll do that first thing in the morning...
On my HST days, I'll do the interval work right after the weight training...

I meant, can you give me a detailed run down of your interval training ?

That pic isn't telling me a 1,000 words unfortunately :p

Lol sorry...
The green bars represent low interval excursion.
The red, max excursion.
The pyramid interval program, you can see visually that the max intervals ramp up in duration, peak them gradually decrease...with a 5 minute warmup and cool down at each end.

The 4X4 sprint interval program is basically the same idea, but instead there are 4 blocks of 4 repeated, short, max intervals, with 10 second low excursion intervals in between.
And of course, a warmup and cool off period.

Hope this helps.

The pyramid intervals ramp up...
Starting at 30 seconds and peaking at 1:30.

The 4X4 has 20 second max and 10 second low intervals.

For the max intervals, as far as rowing, I go as hard as I can while keeping proper form. Maybe 27 strokes per minute at a 900 cal/Hr speed (according to the rowing computer).
On the low intervals, it's very casual, maybe 21 strokes per minute and 600 cal/Hr.

But you don't need gym equipment to do max interval training. All-out sprints with the same program works very well also.

4x4 means;

(warmup)

-20 sec max
-10 sec slow
-20 sec max
-10 sec slow

x4 ?

Sorry, but not getting an idea of what to actually do

Nope...warmup, 20, 10, 20, 10, 20, 10, 20, 3 minute cool down, repeat 4 times.
There are 4 max intervals in each block of 4 "sessions", hence 4x4.
:)
The red blocks are max, green blocks low...

I haven't yet...only on my second cycle and only been rowing for 4 weeks.
But I plan to. Wanna bring my fat % down before next cycle and try to keep it down somewhat.

Nope...warmup, 20, 10, 20, 10, 20, 10, 20, 3 minute cool down, repeat 4 times.
There are 4 max intervals in each block of 4 "sessions", hence 4x4.
:)
The red blocks are max, green blocks low...

Right ... that's what I wanted to know :) Cheers.

I think I'll add in any interval work on the day I do that body part for weights (rowing for upper, cycling for lower).

Let me know how it works out for ya.
Immediate effects, with proper diet of course, are pretty dramatic...within the first couple of weeks.

I don't count my calories...
But with that said, I eat probably 7 "meals" a day. Small meals, with protein in every one, and usually protein shakes as 2 or 3 of those meals.
Nothing processed, good fats, if I have to have sugar, it's raw, natural sugar, no transfats, no junk...
I rely on how my body feels as to my calorie intake...I never stuff myself and the hunger feeling is usually a half hour to an hour after I eat.
I have a cheat day once a week where I allow myself to eat anything I want.

20 clustered landmine press; 5 - 20kg (warm ups), 5 - 40kg, 5,5 - 45kg, 5 - 47.5kg.

15 clustered deads; 5 - 70kg, 3 - 120kg (warm ups), 5 - 150kg, 4 - 155kg, 4 - 160kg, 2 - 165kg. The last two are PRs for reps and load, respectively.

5 clustered one-arm BB rows; 5 - 80kg. This will be bumped up next workout.

1x5 DB cross, low-high - 15kg. Maybe replace cable w/DB, not sure.

Back