Weird Freak injuries

quadancer

wow.gif
...so Deb and I are taking a day of moving firewood, cutting branches and generally spring sprucing the place up...we decide to move some large pavers that have sat on the ground for years, and one is stuck in the ground. I'm too lazy to go to the garage for a shovel, so I hook my fingers over the edge, brace myself and pull like a mule with a one-arm db row.
All of a sudden my "bird" finger emits a loud "pop" accompanied by some intense pain
ghostface.gif
with my wife asking 'what was that?' -
I find the joints and bones are intact, but the second and third knuckle hurt, along with the muscle between them. I have no idea just what it is that happened, but it's WAY more than just popping the knuckle.
Can we get strong enough to rip ourselves apart, or am I JUST GETTING OLD? (Yeah, like I don't realize that...
biggrin.gif
)

Ouch!  
sad.gif

The small muscles in your forearms/fingers are no match for your brute back strength, Quad! I hope it isn't anything too serious!

<div>
(nkl @ May 23 2008,5:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ouch!
sad.gif

The small muscles in your forearms/fingers are no match for your brute back strength, Quad! I hope it isn't anything too serious!</div>
Ditto... sounds like you pulled a ligament in your finger.

Yes and no on the straps. It still hurts but not as much. Ice, rest and ibuprofin...along with a little mandolin practice have it working again. I'm sure something tore; this is abnormal pain. Swollen a bit from #2 to #3 knuckles.

I am sorry to hear this Quad. If it is a ligament tear it will take a good while to heal properly which will be a nuisance for work and training. I'm sure you'll figure out how to work around it though, being the inventive chap that you are.

I expect you somehow managed to put a lot more load on just that one finger rather than spread it evenly among all four. That's a classic case of real world usage over gym usage. BBs and DBs allow us to train our muscles so easily and safely compared to lifting rocks and stuff. More unusual for you though, as you use your hands a lot in your work (I assume?). Anyway, I do wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks guys. Ligament sounds right, since the bones, joints and muscle still work. I'll just add it into the 'list-of-things-that-hurt' and deal with it. I never saw myself as one of those old guys who sit on the porch and gripe about pains and stiffnesses, but that rocker is getting closer all the time!
I've maxed out my fingers thousands of times pulling at stuff, and this never happened before; I hope it's just a freak shot and not the new &quot;norm&quot;.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 22 2008,9:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
wow.gif
...so Deb and I are taking a day of moving firewood, cutting branches and generally spring sprucing the place up...we decide to move some large pavers that have sat on the ground for years, and one is stuck in the ground. I'm too lazy to go to the garage for a shovel, so I hook my fingers over the edge, brace myself and pull like a mule with a one-arm db row.
All of a sudden my &quot;bird&quot; finger emits a loud &quot;pop&quot; accompanied by some intense pain
ghostface.gif
with my wife asking 'what was that?' -
I find the joints and bones are intact, but the second and third knuckle hurt, along with the muscle between them. I have no idea just what it is that happened, but it's WAY more than just popping the knuckle.
Can we get strong enough to rip ourselves apart, or am I JUST GETTING OLD? (Yeah, like I don't realize that...
biggrin.gif
)</div>
id be interested to know your exact words after you did lol.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 24 2008,8:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but that rocker is getting closer all the time!</div>
Don't worry, Quad. We figure you'll be off your rocker for some time yet...
laugh.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ May 23 2008,11:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes and no on the straps. It still hurts but not as much. Ice, rest and ibuprofin...along with a little mandolin practice have it working again. I'm sure something tore; this is abnormal pain. Swollen a bit from #2 to #3 knuckles.</div>
Fix your finger the Russian way... by taking a hammer to it.

Hey, maybe you'll knock out your nerves!

Hope the finger heals. Did you try working out with tape?

I'm on SD right now anyway. It's pretty swollen; I'll keep it moving and not stress it hard. Might try pickin' with the boys today at a church picnic.

I dunno, but it gets worse with age!
Finger is better; I practiced with the band tonite using only the mandolin, which is harder than the guitar to play and I did allright. I can handle it now, and we're scheduled to perform for a &quot;folks&quot; home Saturday. At least if I make mistakes, the geezers on thorazine won't notice...
Scary thing is I'm almost ready to come off SD.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 27 2008,11:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Finger is better; I practiced with the band tonite using only the mandolin, which is harder than the guitar to play and I did allright. I can handle it now, and we're scheduled to perform for a &quot;folks&quot; home Saturday.</div>
The mandolin may be hard on your fingers, but the bluegrass is good for the soul...
smile.gif

Especially 'Gospel Grass'!
I'm virtually pacing around like an animal in a cage the last two days; joints feel better (except the mystery pang in the knee is back) and energy is coming up from flat. I can feel the effects of coffee again. I might even start having sexy thoughts again. I am SO tempted to get back in there and hit some 15's with my tiny 16's!

Back