Weird pop in lower ab area

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, great to see the new forum. Well, I'm back... sorta. After the classic story of a long layoff due to life, I'm back in the game yet again. I'll start a log to discuss how things have been going and what is going on, so let me get to the point...

Yesterday at the gym I've been going to, I was using a weighted crunch machine which I maxed out the stack a long time ago and have started pinning plates to the side of the stack. I was doing crunches with 205 lbs when I felt a weird pop in my lower ab area. It didn't really hurt or anything but felt kind of tender after that so I dropped the weight down to just 155 and repped out on that for 20 or so to see how it felt. It felt fine...

But I'm a little worried. My buddy had a hernia a long time ago and has made me cautious about it especially now that my odometer has finally rolled over to my 30s, I don't want to injure myself and get back out of the game when I'm making serious progress again finally.

So. Could it have just been something that I don't know about that isn't a concern or should I be worried? By the way, I did do 4 sets of 5 with 405 lbs on the deadlifts 15 minutes after this without any problems, so I'm thinking maybe it's not a big deal?

I would go to your doctor and tell them what happened and let him check for a hernia. If you have one you sure as heck don't want to make it worse.

Hey Totz, long time no post! Glad you are doing okay and able to get back to the iron.

If there's no residual pain or soreness it probably wasn't much. Maybe a slight tear in the fascia down there? If it was a hernia then it most likely won't heal and you will notice it again - at which point you would need to get it seen by a GP and decide on what course of treatment to take.

I sustained my inguinal hernia while deadlifting, although I wasn't actually aware that I did it until afterwards - no obvious popping sensation. I elected to have a mesh fitted - life wasn't much fun for a month after the op but then things began to improve and now, 10 months on, I don't really think about it anymore. Deadlifting might still cause me a bit of anxiety but that's to be expected - it always does! :)

Looking forward to checking your new log for training details.

All the best!

Thanks for the comments. I did a full workout today including rack pulls and didn't have any problems so I'm thinking maybe it was something pretty minor. I'm sore in my ab area but it's a normal muscular soreness from all the heavy weighted core work I think. It doesn't feel like an injury soreness.

However, next physical I will definitely ask my doctor about it.

Back