Westside style Strength training

style

I have been training for strength recently. Max-Stim is sweet for this. However, I find myself not gaining when I try to lift heavy for 20 reps every 48 hours. I am interested in trying to mix in a 'power' workout every other workout.

So basically I would be training 3x a week. Training only 3 movements- squat, military press and pull ups. Workout A would be a 'heavy' workout ar 90% of my 1RM x 20 reps max-stim style. Workout B would be a 'power' workout with 50-60% of my 1RM doing 25 reps in sets of 3.

I'd be especially interested in Aarons opinion.

Monday

Squat (heavy)
Mil Press (light)
Pull Ups (heavy)

Wednesday

Squat (light)
Mil Press (heavy)
Pull Ups (light), unweighted

Fri

Squat (heavy)
Mil Press (light)
Pull Ups (heavy)

Instead of completely resting a muscle group, you keep the frequency up but not the load being lifted... Hmm, and you are also working with 65-90% of your 1RM. It seems like a mix between HST and SST. With Max-Stim, I am sure you will have some strength gains. It seems interesting Style!
cool.gif

I've been working on a similar idea, tried it for a bit but got injured (not lifting related, fell down the damn stairs) and had to lay off.  I had four days planned, this is how it went.

Day 1: Dynamic Effort for Chest and Back / Maximum Effort for Legs.  Dynamic Effort is the power/50-60% 1rm work from West Side.  Maximum Effort I did 3 sets 8 rep work, 3 sets 3 rep work.  Dropped to two sets because volume seemed heavy to me.

Day 2: Max Stim method for Chest and Back

Day 3: Dynamin Effort Legs / Maximum Effort for Chest and Back, same basic set up as the other day.

Day 4: Max Stim for legs.

Here was the workout all told:

Day 1
Bench 20X2 DE
Row 20X2 DE
Dead Lift 3X8,3X3 ME
Calf Raises 3X8,3X3 ME
Lunges 3X8,3X3 ME

Day 2
Bench 20 reps, MS style
Row 20 reps, MS style
EZ Bar Curl 20 reps, MS style
Triceps Extensions 20 reps, MS style

Day 3
Squat 20X2 DE
Flies 3X8,3X3 ME
Military Press 3X8,3X3 ME
Lat Pull Downs 3X8,3X3 ME
Rack Pulls 3X8,3X3 ME
Shrugs 3X8,3X3 ME

Day 4
Squat 20 reps, MS style
Ham Curl 20 reps, MS style
Calf Raises 20 reps, MS style

Repeat

Basically as long as you get two days in per week you've hit the whole body twice.  I tried leaving 1 day between each workout.  It's doable, maybe when I was younger I could have kept it up.  Two in between worked better for me, especially given the fatigue management of the MS days.  You end up working at a very high intensity as determined by average load used vs 1RM, but with the fatigue management and the alternating Dynamic Effort days it was really managable.

Edit: As usual, I've got it in a spreadsheet if anyone wants to give it a shot.

Xahrx, I'd like a copy of that spreadsheet. Sounds interesting.

totentanz at gmail dot com

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 26 2007,17:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Xahrx, I'd like a copy of that spreadsheet.  Sounds interesting.

totentanz at gmail dot com</div>
Sent. If you need help operating the sheet let me know. Should be fairly self explanatory though once you see it.

Very nice. I've been just kind of working out aimlessly, but now I'm getting more time to actually follow a program. I'm 99% sure that I'm going to use this, though I'll have to find some maxes first. I'll make a log for it, should be very interesting.

Oh, to be specific, I meant I'll be doing your WS-MS hybrid. This is a very nice spreadsheet, all kinds of great stuff on it.
I'd encourage everyone to get a copy while xahrx is offering.

Both sent. Enjoy. As a note, you can use whatever weight you want and plug in your max at the top, and it should pretty accurately figure your maxes for the listed rep ranges. It's been a while, I honestly forgot the details of how I worked it out, but I think it's the same formula the weight calculators on exrx use.

I may not try this for some time as I have many new routines to try: Dual Factor HST, 5x5 SST, 912 HST... However, I am interested in this spreadsheet of yours xahrx.

colby2152 at gmail dot com

<div>
(xahrx @ Jun. 26 2007,17:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 26 2007,17:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Xahrx, I'd like a copy of that spreadsheet. Sounds interesting.

totentanz at gmail dot com</div>
Sent. If you need help operating the sheet let me know. Should be fairly self explanatory though once you see it.</div>
Me, too, pleez!

Culver1950 at yahoo

Thanks much!

Both sent. I guess I should say my favorite is the Dual Factor II Workout with a clean and press instead of the current entry for military press. I like it because I configured it to calculate a switch to 3x3 whenever you feel the volume is getting to heavy, and then you can go back again to 5x5 when you feel you've peaked, maybe drop back a workout or two and see if you can start heading up again.

Back