what Cycle while cutting?

Hi folks, long time since I have posted.

We discussed this several years back, but I cannot find the thread. What is the best way to set up a cycle when in a cutting phase? IOW the only goal is to preserve muscle while losing fat. IIRC, it was a plain 6 week cycle with no negatives, 1 week SD.

I have Lyle McD.s books UD 2, etc, but the straight HST variation was a tad different.

All input appreciated.
Dean

im new to HST so im not 100% sure. I know when I would cut on my 4 day split that i would still lift as heavy as i could for the same about of reps. The only thing that changed was my diet (less calories). It make sense to me to lift the same way that you were to avoid losing to a lot of size/strengh. I would think you would lose a lot of size if you cutback on both calories and weight lifted at the same time.

No SD unless you are burning out, and don't cut calories back during SD if you do the SD. I use the SD period as a refeed and only do it after a few cycles or so. Don't do 15s while cutting and start at a minimum of 80% for each rep range. I extend the 5s for up to six weeks if possible.

Thanks Tot, that is what I seem to remember. I have to SD, being almost 50, and agree that cutting while on SD will just result in muscle loss. Also, SD serves to pick the hormones back up that calorie deficit causes. IIRC, some said to not even do 10s, but just stay with the 5s with low number of sets.

I do the 10s but just don't cut the calories as hard during that time. Also, depending on how low your bodyfat percentage is will dictate how often you should SD and bring calories back up to maintenance. I recommend a 9 day SD bringing calories up to maintenance over the course of the weekend then spending the whole next week at maintenance. If you do the 10s, during the first week of 10s, only use half the calorie deficit you will be using once you get heavier, go to a full deficit the second week of 10s.
You can certainly skip the 10s and just do 5s. The 5s will definitely be better for sparing muscle mass. The only reason I recommend to still do the 10s is because you can usually stretch the cycle out a bit longer then before you get burned out from lifting heavy on a deficit for so long.

Back