What do you guys think of German Volume Training

Thanks DKM, That's the one!
I'm going to re-quote Bryan here for everyone
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I myself have written about it when elaborating on Siff and Verkhoshansky's work. However, I did not present any info to support or refute it...I was simply passing on concepts then current in respected strength training camps.
However, today, several years after having written about the topic, there is evidence that "irrational hypertrophy" or the pathological increase in sarcoplasm relative to contractile proteins, is a false concept.
For one, there is a fixed nuclear to sarcoplasmic ratio...meaning, the muscle cell can't increase its volume without increasing its number of nuclei. Why? Because the nuclei are required to produce contractile and cytoskeletal proteins in proportion to the increase in volume. If you prevent new nuclei from being added to muscle cells they simply won’t grow.
We now have a newer model explaining the sometimes-observed imbalances in muscle size and function. If you recall, researchers are now showing that rather than imbalances in sarcoplasm, muscle function is determined by the cells oxidative capacity which is determined largely by the frequency with which it is flooded with metabolic by products etc. (M. J. Rennie. How muscles know how to adapt J. Physiol., August 15, 2001; 535(1): 1 – 1 and related articles in same issue) Just another example of the S.A.I.D. principle involving enzymes etc. Not a structural issue.

The stretching involved in DC isn't strictly quantifiable, in terms of progression....is it?

Ok, given that....how does one make certain that they aren't stretching too 'hard' too soon? Presumably the extreme stretching contributes to hypertrophy until RBE catches up right?

And it helps strength gain right?

after the first workout you will be sore as hell, provided you do everything right and long enough. After that, it'll depend. My back still gets really sore for at least 2 days, chest and shoulders usually only last one day after the workout, legs stay sore for at least 2 days and triceps and biceps are completely unpredictable.

It will add strength indirectly if it leads to hypertrophy I guess. It will temporarily decrease your strength, as will anything that causes significant microtrauma, which is why it's done after using a specific body party.

2 qu's:

Is increasing the time for holding the stretch progressively going to make a difference...e.g. 15second, to 30 to 45....

When should these be incorporated into HST? During the last heavy period?

Back