What happens we loose muscle mass ?

Smee

I know the answer to this is probably more complicated than I could handle, and I don't even have the physiology vocabulary to articulate my question properly so I hope you can read between the lines, but .....
What are we actually loosing when our LBM / muscle mass goes down and what happens to it ?
Are we using up irreplaceable muscle fibers ?
I hope there are some mind readers out there that understand what I'm trying to get at.
Thanks !

When you lose muscle mass you are dissasembling proteins and using their amino acids for other purposes.

So, a muscle fiber has a bunch of proteins arranged in such a way as to make the muscle contract. These proteins can be built just as easily as they can be broken down. It all depends on what the environment is like.

The proteins are sometimes used to remake other more important proteins (signalling proteins, carrier proteins, binding proteins, etc). Other times the proteins get caught up in the energy cycle and used for fuel.

The good news is, when something signifcantly catabolic happens and you lose a bunch of muscle, their is a rebound effect that will allow you to replace that muscle quickly when the environment changes.

Back