What is your goal?

JonPaul

What is your goal?  Do you want to be as big as a barn? How about bigger than the average guy, or look like a brad pitt/underwear model type of look?  Is appearance not so important? Maybe your going for athletic strength, sculpted look, or maybe you just work out for health?

What's your thoughts?

It will say alot about this board and what we want collectively.

Please vote, thanks!

Similar poll I started here...Poll:lifting goals
Although this one is more specific. The funny part is more people here at the HST site had strength goals than image goals...surprising since this training is directed at hypertrophy, but guys who just want to be super-strong obviously like HST for its strength benfits.

I didn't like the ambigousness of that poll. I mean, I think I tried to cover my bases on this poll. My vote was for the athletic sculpted appearance. I think TO looks darn good, but it's functional sports related muscle and I dig it. The Ronnie Coleman types to me are more of an oddity than anything. That much muscle has got to be a hinderance for clothes, movement, etc. Just my opinion for me.

My optimal size would be around 245 lbs at 8-10% bodyfat. I'm 6'1 or so, so... not too huge, but bigger than those twig underwear models and Brad Pitt in Fight Club wannabes.

A lean 225/230 would be absolutely awesome at my height of 5'10". However, I'm much keener on attaining my strength goals using no aids except for maybe a lifting belt. A 500lb ATG squat would be my ultimate lift but I have so far to go until I reach that that it isn't worth thinking about. 400lbs seems just about attainable perhaps at the end of this year if I train really hard and consistently.

I am doing a three month cut right now (and not enjoying it already). After 2 weeks I have lost around 5lbs but I think some of that was fluid today as I spent the day digging trenches for drains and didn't drink enough. Even though I was pooped from the digging, I managed to get a PB in my squats tonight for 15s with 250lbs (yeah, I could have skipped the 15s seeing I'm cutting but decided not to). Just hope I can keep it up for the rest of the cycle.

I would love to be over 220 lb.s and under 10% bodyfat. That would look pretty awesome but not freakish on my 6'1" frame.

Right now I am pretty far from it, probably need to add 30 lb.s of lean mass to my frame. I am still in my first year of serious training with HST/max-stim principles so I think it is doable in a few years of consistent training and eating.

I have strength goals too, but those I listed in the other poll.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 12 2007,21:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would love to be over 220 lb.s and under 10% bodyfat.  That would look pretty awesome but not freakish on my 6'1&quot; frame.

Right now I am pretty far from it, probably need to add 30 lb.s of lean mass to my frame.  I am still in my first year of serious training with HST/max-stim principles so I think it is doable in a few years of consistent training and eating.

I have strength goals too, but those I listed in the other poll.</div>
SM, have you found your experience with HST different than your experiences doing more traditional weight programs? Do you feel HST results have been &quot;amazing&quot; or &quot;accelerated&quot; compared to other more traditional programs?

<u>*LONG, BORING, AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL POST ALERT*
</u>
Well, technically I am using Max-stimulation which is an HST branch developed by Dan Moore.
I started lifting when I was about 15 years old.  I was a very, very thin.  I was 6'1&quot; and about 140 lb.s when I started!  I didn't know jack-**** about lifting or nutrition so I didn't get very good results.  Eventually I read a crap-load of magazines and books about training and I learned some stuff.  But I was very impatient: I would start a routine, stick with it for a couple of months and then quit when I didn't get huge overnight.  Then I would read more articles in search of the 'magic program' that would make me huge.  I eventually found HIT to be very logical and studied Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer's ideas.  Since I was such a slacker with training and eating, it took me about 6 years and at 21 I was finally about 170 lb.s....still thin, but healthy-looking.  I lost interest in lifting for a long time and stayed about the same...170 lb.s, somewhat lean.  I still lifted very infrequently to maintain what I had.

I bought my first house last spring of 2006, and the fact that I had enough space to build my own home gym motivated me to get back into lifting.  I googled 'hypertrophy training' and found HST, but at first didn't like it.  Bryan Haycock seemed arrogant and the fact that he was selling supplements made me skeptical.  But he got me interested in researching the science myself instead of mindlessly spoon-feeding ideas like Mentzer was doing in his books.  I then googled 'hypertrophy research' and found hypertrophy-research  I was instantly in love!  I realized that all these years I was listening to Mike Mentzer enlighten me on 'the one true science of bodybuilding' he never did use any science to back his claims up.  On hypertrophy-research.com, here was pages and pages of real scientific studies about skeletal muscle hypertrophy.  I studied for days, took notes and formulated my own training routine.  Then shortly after that I read enough scientific theory about Max-stimulation written by Dan Moore to start training that way.

It was May 2006 that I started Max-Stimulation training.  Of course I gravitated here seeing as my mentor, Dan, is an HST expert and Bryan Haycock is his mentor.  I was somewhere between 170 and 180 lb.s when I started in May, now, 8 months later I am 193 lb.s and my waist has only increased 1 inch, my chest has increased 1.5&quot;, my arms have increased 1&quot;, and my thighs have increased 1.5&quot;.  So in 8 months of using Max-stim and HST principles I gained ~15 lb.s of mostly lean mass.  I really admire Dan Moore as my mentor and I am the second-highest poster at his site and now officially a &quot;M-time expert&quot; along with a handful of other guys.  I feel I am just beginning to see the results I have always wanted and won't stop until I have pushed my body as far as it will go naturally.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jan. 12 2007,14:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My optimal size would be around 245 lbs at 8-10% bodyfat.  I'm 6'1 or so, so...  not too huge, but bigger than those twig underwear models and Brad Pitt in Fight Club wannabes.</div>
I am with Tot, and being at 6&quot;2', I would opt for 10% bodyfat at 250. Unless I grow a few more inches in these last growing years (22-25), then 250 is my max weight.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 12 2007,23:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
SM: Awesome story, Thanks for your background! I relate to the getting nowhere fast syndrome, and the put some muscle on overnight issue as well.

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 12 2007,21:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A lean 225/230 would be absolutely awesome at my height of 5'10&quot;. However, I'm much keener on attaining my strength goals using no aids except for maybe a lifting belt. A 500lb ATG squat would be my ultimate lift but I have so far to go until I reach that that it isn't worth thinking about. 400lbs seems just about attainable perhaps at the end of this year if I train really hard and consistently.

I am doing a three month cut right now (and not enjoying it already). After 2 weeks I have lost around 5lbs but I think some of that was fluid today as I spent the day digging trenches for drains and didn't drink enough. Even though I was pooped from the digging, I managed to get a PB in my squats tonight for 15s with 250lbs (yeah, I could have skipped the 15s seeing I'm cutting but decided not to). Just hope I can keep it up for the rest of the cycle.</div>
Lol, what has been your experience with HST &amp; HSN? Have you found your progress has been increased doing HST training?

6´1&quot; (this I can´t change) 190lb, 10%
Seems low, but I opt for strength over size and any bigger
would make mountain bike racing a lot harder.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Jan. 15 2007,02:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">6´1&quot; (this I can´t change) 190lb, 10%
Seems low, but I opt for strength over size and any bigger
would make mountain bike racing a lot harder.</div>
This was my love in life until I got on this crazy idea I could look like Muscle Bound beach bum.

Got the Beach Bum part right, it's the muscles I am worried about.

I miss Mountain Biking, although my buddy broke his ankle on 007 near Bass Lake, this sucks.

Back