What kind of deadlift is best ?

Louno

Hi,

im doing deadlifts this cycle, its the first time, and im pretty weak, right now my max is 90lbs x 5 rep ... maybe i could do more but i want to take time to adapt...

Anyhow, i was looking at exrx and i saw 4 kinds of deadlifts :
Barbell Deadlift , Barbell straight lef deadlift , Barbell Stiff leg deadlift and Barbell straight back straight leg deadlift

Im not sure which one would be best for me... I do squats just before my deads also and my general goal this cycle is to gain whole body strenght while i cut, so that when i come back to hst with more stenght ill be able to gain more mass...

thanks

It depends on what you want to accomplish to a degree. I believe all but the first one you mentioned will be more or less a stretch type movement for the hamstrings (the non-stiff leg versions producing less 'stretch'). The first one is more a full-body dead lift.
If you want a hamstring exercise, do the stiff-leg version, if you want a full body movement, do the Barbell Deadlift.
I've done deadlifts for a long time and might suggest you look for a deadlift bar. It's shaped kind of like a hexagon in which you stand. It is much more stable and more effective (in my opinion) than using a regular Olympic bar. The weight can be moved in a more linier fashion (you can stand straight up and place it straight down without your knees getting in the way, and it is by far easier to keep your back straight during the movement).

barbell deads are by far the best mass builder and will give you the greatest strength increases.

ive been doing deads regularly for a year now my weight lift has gone up 220lbs@1 rep maxfrom 275lbs to 495lbs,they are great,i wouldnt train without them i do 3 heavy warmups  30% 50% 80% effort then do 1 effective set 3x a week.this way i dont overtrain as deads take a lot out and i wouldnt recommend multiple heavy sets.

After viewing those four links, I just realized that the SLDL's I started last August have morphed their way into regular barbell deadlifts! Next week, I can't wait to get back into lifting after a horrid 3 week SD. 20 reps a set for Deadlifts, and then Squats!!! BRING IT ON!

My answer to the question is of course: Barbell deadlifts

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Olympic-Weight-Trap-Shrug-Bar-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ7243907004QQcategoryZ15281QQcmdZV
iewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Oly....iewItem</a>

There's a shrug/trap bar in case you didn't know what one looks like.

Louno, you mention you squat before you deadlift, that's probably why you're not pulling much weight. Alternate the squat and deadlift, do them at different workouts.

Yeah, I'm with Liege. Actually what I do is squats followed by SLDLs one session alternating with normal deads the following session. That way I can really put some effort into my deadlifting without compromising strength from any squats. If I find that my lowerback is suffering too much during 5s I'll just stop doing SLDLs after squats and just alternate between squats and deads until the end of the cycle.

Back