whey isolate - isopure

CNoyes

I tried Isopure this morning. It's see through! This made me skeptical about it. Whey isolate as good as any other kind? Better as Isopure claims?

Is all whey protein equal when it comes to hypertrophy?

I am told there are different types of processing that produces different levels of peptides, and other things pertinent to growth. I can talk to my distributor at our supplement store and find a link or two on it if no one brings one in. He seemed to know a lot about it.

concentrate breaks down slower than isolate which breaks down slower than hydrolysate. there are also different methods of filtering the isolate which are supposed to have an effect. IMO, for the recreational lifter (those of us who don't get paid to work out), it D/N make much of a difference. get the cheapest stuff that tastes good to you.

<div>
(terp @ Feb. 10 2007,15:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">concentrate breaks down slower than isolate which breaks down slower than hydrolysate.</div>

There is no evidence that concentrate is slower than isolate. There is actually no currently available evidence that an isolate is slower than a hydrolysate.

but I do agree with getting the cheapest that suits what you want.

All I can add here is anecdotal: the very cheapest are usually the ones with the worst taste. Middle of the road for me.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 10 2007,05:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All I can add here is anecdotal: the very cheapest are usually the ones with the worst taste. Middle of the road for me.</div>
Agree.

I buy what Sam's club carries! Right now, it's EAS whey. Not bad tasting. Better than the Body Fortress stuff they used to carry. It costs $25 for 6 pounds.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 10 2007,23:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All I can add here is anecdotal: the very cheapest are usually the ones with the worst taste. Middle of the road for me.</div>
A concentrate is slghtly sweeter/creamier than an isolate. Microfiltered isolate will have a little bit more flavour than an ion exchange isolate.

if you want bad, taste an extensively hydrolysed product

Been mixing in a bucket of Optimum Nutrition stuff, spoon by spoon, trying to get rid of it. Whey protein concentrates, egg albumin and hydrolised whey protein.
It takes a long time to get rid of a 5 lb. whey accident.

afaik, a big advantage of whey isolate - for a few people - is that it contains minimal lactose, and lactose intolerant people can therefore often tolerate isolate OK. Aside from that, I haven't seen a convincing reason why most people should bother paying the extra for isolate.

To add my anecdote, I use about the cheapest whey concentrate you can buy here (equivalent of c. $60 for 5kg of unflavoured whey) which actually tastes OK - normally have it just with water, and sometimes add a few spices... Actually prefer it to some of the more expensive, flavoured powders I've tried...

The amount of lactose in concentrate is ~4%, so a 30gram serv would provide 1.2g which is too small to really be detected in a lactose intolerant person.

that's interesting. I know people with lactose intolerance sometimes say that concentrate aggravates this, but whether that's all in the mind or not I don't know...

whether the symptoms they report have anything to do with lactose is the issue...

Lactose intolerance symptoms assessed by meta-analysis: a grain of truth that leads to exaggeration.Savaiano DA, Boushey CJ, McCabe GP.
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA. [email protected]

A meta-analysis was conducted to compare the lactose intolerance symptoms of lactose maldigesters after consuming lactose (as milk, lactose dissolved in water, milk products, or commercial product) with responses after a placebo under masked conditions. An English language MEDLINE search was conducted using the medical subject heading of &quot;lactose intolerance&quot; from 1966 to January 2002. From an initial 1,553 citations, 2 independent reviewers selected 21 studies based on study design (randomized, crossover, blind) and use of an amount of lactose likely to be found in a meal (7-25 g) and a placebo among subjects free of gastrointestinal problems and &gt;4 years old. Mean severity of symptom responses were analyzed as standardized differences, and the presence or absence of a symptom was estimated as pooled incidence differences (ID). For severity of flatulence, the standardized difference was 0.18 (95% confidence interval [CI] -0.16 to +0.52). The CIs for abdominal bloating and pain, degree of diarrhea, frequency of bowel movements per day, and frequency of diarrhea per day also included 0. For abdominal bloating, the ID was 5.9 more people per 100 with symptoms after lactose than placebo (CI -0.07 to +0.19). This same nonsignificant relationship was found for abdominal pain. The ID for diarrhea or loose stools was 0.15 (CI 0.03 to 0.28). Although the incidence of diarrhea was significantly higher, the size of the effect was very small. The results indicate that lactose is not a major cause of symptoms for lactose maldigesters following usual intakes of dairy foods, that is, 1 cup.

ah, thanks for the info
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Feb. 12 2007,16:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">whether the symptoms they report have anything to do with lactose is the issue...

Lactose intolerance symptoms assessed by meta-analysis: a grain of truth that leads to exaggeration.Savaiano DA, Boushey CJ, McCabe GP.
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA. [email protected]</div>
Finally! Now find me one for the oft used excuse, &quot;low blood sugar&quot;.

Low blood sugar symptoms assessed by meta-analysis: a grain of truth that leads to a plethora of whiney idiots. Freely IP, Humpalot IW
Department of B &amp; D, Virtual University, West Lafayette, Indian, USA.

Back