Whey Protein + Milk = Bad ?

Louno

Ive been taking whey protein for about 2-3 years now, and for some reason i never heard anybody tell me that it wasnt optimal to drink whey with milk because it slows down the absorbtion rate after your workout... I just did some google search and it appears that its true... but, i dont really trust sites like Yahoo answer and such so id like to get opinion from you guys
smile.gif

it may slow down absorption a tad b/c of the casein naturally present in milk, but I wouldn't worry about it. I mix w/ water pre w/o & milk after.

Terp has it right. Casein is slower digesting, and assuming you're using nofat (skim) milk, I recall something Dan posted about the two being better for you, and it had me doing it the way Terp does it; water pre and milk post.

Why would slower absorption be a bad thing? Protein synthesis doesn't fall back to baseline after only an hour post-workout.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 13 2008,9:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why would slower absorption be a bad thing? Protein synthesis doesn't fall back to baseline after only an hour post-workout.</div>
elevated PS lasts a good while longer, as Tot says. i think bryan says it comes back to baseline 36-48 hours.

i thought that was why you always wanted fast protein before and after work out, so you could continue to stuff your face shortly after the post WO shake. why slow down the post workout shake with casein? I don't get it.

so like, when I get the whey/casein thing down, i'll grow &quot;ten lbs of muscle in 5 weeks&quot; right!
smile.gif

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Jun. 15 2008,1:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 13 2008,9:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why would slower absorption be a bad thing? Protein synthesis doesn't fall back to baseline after only an hour post-workout.</div>
elevated PS lasts a good while longer, as Tot says. i think bryan says it comes back to baseline 36-48 hours.

i thought that was why you always wanted fast protein before and after work out, so you could continue to stuff your face shortly after the post WO shake. why slow down the post workout shake with casein? I don't get it.

so like, when I get the whey/casein thing down, i'll grow &quot;ten lbs of muscle in 5 weeks&quot; right!
smile.gif
</div>
Hence why training every 36 hours is the most optimal.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Jun. 15 2008,1:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

smile.gif
</div>
I would think a fast protein before and a slow protein after would be better. That way you get a constant stream of protein after training.

I don't know, personally I do not worry about it. I don't take a preworkout shake most of the time because having my stomach full results in vomiting on occasion and reduced performance when I need a solid core (squatting, deadlifting, etc) so I just skip it. I always eat a good solid meal a couple hours before hand though.
To be honest, I rarely use protein powders anymore (because I stupidly bought 16 lbs of that vile gemma protein, bleh...) and I've actually been having the best gains this year that I've had since I was a newbie. I don't attribute that to not using protein powders, what I read into that is that this won't matter a whole heck of a lot unless you do something retarded like fast before and after the workout (when your goal is gaining muscle.)

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 16 2008,12:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

smile.gif
</div>
I would think a fast protein before and a slow protein after would be better. That way you get a constant stream of protein after training.

I don't know, personally I do not worry about it. I don't take a preworkout shake most of the time because having my stomach full results in vomiting on occasion and reduced performance when I need a solid core (squatting, deadlifting, etc) so I just skip it. I always eat a good solid meal a couple hours before hand though.
To be honest, I rarely use protein powders anymore (because I stupidly bought 16 lbs of that vile gemma protein, bleh...) and I've actually been having the best gains this year that I've had since I was a newbie. I don't attribute that to not using protein powders, what I read into that is that this won't matter a whole heck of a lot unless you do something retarded like fast before and after the workout (when your goal is gaining muscle.)</div>
amen

Back