Which Protein ?

Captain Crunch

I have been using Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey protein and have found great results with it but this past weekend I was into the local Health Food Store and the guy was telling me about this Iso-Whey which is supposed to be better. Now I'm not sure what to think. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

It doesn't really matter much. Which is cheaper? You don't have to worry about the quality of protein so much, as long as you can get a lot of it.

Before buying into Health Store Hype, read the bottle.
ON (optimum nutrition)100% Whey contains Hydrolized Whey Isolates. If you are happy with it, and you can afford it tell the health store guru (
sneaky2.gif
) to "bugger off".

Whey protein is in reality made up of several different compounds which appear to have unique effects. For example, some components of whey appear to act as antioxidants or help reform glutathione, one of your bodies antioxidant defense systems. Other components may augment the immune response or have direct effects on invading microorganisms. Focusing on just the protein content of whey is just one way to view the product. In theory, by concentrating whey protein, one leaves out these other constituent parts in the filtering process. As somebody else mentioned, its what you can afford and if you are having good results with the product, that’s all that counts.
Joe Cannon, MS, CSCS
www.Joe-Cannon.com

wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JoeCannonMSCSCS @ May 26 2005,6
wow.gif
1)]Whey protein is in reality made up of several different compounds which appear to have unique effects. For example, some components of whey appear to act as antioxidants or help reform glutathione, one of your bodies antioxidant defense systems. Other components may augment the immune response or have direct effects on invading microorganisms.
you mean like the variety of bioactive compounds that are within whey at extremely low levels? lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase etc? with little to no oral efficacy data?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Focusing on just the protein content of whey is just one way to view the product.
which is why you do not focus on the single product within the whole diet.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In theory, by concentrating whey protein, one leaves out these other constituent parts in the filtering process.
concentrating the whey is hte process of removing excess fat and lactose from the stream, to a variety of concentrations. Concentration strangely enough concentrates the (extremely) low levels of these bioactives up, it does not remove them.

When it comes to protein, I think at one time or another I have had every kind under the sun. From the stores brand itself(bodytech from the VitaminShoppe) to the GNC brand, to ON, and so forth. I have made gains on every single one, except the generic store brands(gave me horrible gas). I would just say go by taste/affordability. You dont want drinking ur protein shake to turn into a traumatizing experience!

is it safe to say that you can drink ON 100% Whey Protein even on off days since its considered as "fast" protein? Or would you need a different kind of protein shake replacement?

consuming hte whey with anything, including sugar will slow down the digestion.
If you want better than casein, drink small amounts of whey consistently over the day.

Back