Why does this happen ?

Why does this happen ?

I have had two major cuts down to 5% bodyfat.  During the cuts I gradually lower calories and gradually increase cardio.  As I do this my strength starts to plummet.  In my major lifts my strength decreases by 10% or more.  After the cut is over I begin to bring back the calories by adding 250 more calories per day, and continue to increase them weekly. After about a month of doing that my strength soars, and I'm stronger than I was before I began cutting, and am larger than I was before cutting.  Right now I'm stronger than I have ever been in the past(just like I was the last time I went through this).  Very soon my strength increases will taper off and I will stay pretty much the same for a long period of time, with minute increases here and there.  Then I'll do a cut, and experience the same things all over again.  

Why such a big increase after the cut is over, when my diet is the same as it was before I began cutting ?  Am I going through some kind of "deconditioning" phase when I cut ?  Is my body reacting to higher cals in the same kind of way it reacts to weights after you do a strategic conditioning ?

I think...

When you cut, even if you do it with the same "bodybuilders diet" just with slightly less calories, you are going to in the end be holding less water. Remember your carb grams diminished the same as your protein and fat grams.

Muscle cells with more water in them will be bigger and stronger.

As you start eating more again, you will replenish nutrients and put more water back in the cells.

As they get fuller, they get stronger. I know that after I began eating enough, my strength skyrocketed (for me). I can almost deadlift for a single what most of the 12 year old girls on the Chinese Olympic team do for their first warm up set now.

You probably don't want to hear it and have heard it enough already, but lots of people actually get stronger while cutting on a timed carb diet then when they switch nutrients back around - look out on the strength...up it goes.

Thats good old over-compensation at work, your stored resources are dramatically bled off then when you refill they over-compensate to help deal with further bouts of depletion. It is basic GAS/LAS at work.

This is much like the ATP deficit theory where one only takes creatine post workout. The idea is bleeding off all your ATP stores during training then super feeding allows your body to store extra – to over compensate. This type of hoarding of supplies is likely part of what makes us stronger from training and is why I personally feed major simple sugars post workout.

Regards,
Andrew

Steve,

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I can't answer it though.

I have actually read about this over a Lyles.

I know my body went from prob around 1700 calories a day to over 3000 and I stayed the same weight for a while...yet I got bigger?

My guess is the extra calories revved up my metabolism and got me fuller quick...making me bigger.

I stayed at that weight for a while around 3 weeks and then boom...my weight started shooting back up.

Right now I am 194 since august of weighing 174.

I have read somwhere were you body takes fat off first in the last place you gain it meaning arms chest and things of that nature.

The belly is the last to go.

Right now I have got to get to eating better b/c my waist is starting to get bigger finally.

As i get closer to 15% bodyfat the gains come down and the waist starts stretching!

<div>
(stevejones @ Feb. 06 2007,11:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So, do you not have a pre workout meal in order to burn off all your atp stores ?</div>
Well I never eat close to a workout at least an hour and a half minimum needs to go by or I feel sluggish regardless of what I eat. What I am saying is that I don’t take creatine or carbs until after workouts.

Your body responds (temporarily) to caloric (especially carbs) restriction by filling up and boosting metabolism slightly when you start feeding again. Once the new level of calories becomes the norm here comes the fat! Man is a beast of feast and famine.

Regards,
Andrew

Back