widen shoulders

aamar

Hi I just want some help on how to widen my shoulder. I do military presses, upright rows rear delta raise, and lateral raise. can anyone suggest more exercises.

Thanks
Aamar

Hi Aamar, most over-head pressing movements will give you plenty of delt size if you progressively load over time. Weighted dips are great for delts too although not the primary focus.

To get more out of a cycle where you use the press, for example, it's worth switching to push-presses for a couple of weeks following the end of the 5s. You get to use a bit of hip extension to help get the load up and then you can focus on the negative portion of the movement. Rest with the load overhead rather than at your shoulders, ie. make the turnaround at the shoulders an unbroken part of the movement. Always remember to keep your butt tight so that you keep your lower back in extension—it's easy to allow your lower-back to hyperextend if you are struggling to raise a weight overhead. Not good.

Handstand presses against a wall are a great movement too. When you can do 10 good reps (head touches floor each rep), try putting a weight under each hand so that you have to lower your head a little further before it hits the floor. The beauty of this movement is that it feels different to pressing a bar overhead because your hands are effectively 'fixed' to the floor so they can't move about and you can focus on just driving yourself up. It still requires some balance skill.

Just regular handstand presses will probably feel tough to begin with but eventually, you might want to get hold of some parallettes which will allow you to drop down a lot further for a greater ROM.

Thanks for getting back. I think I have an idea of what your saying is it that I rest the weight which I am pressing over my head instead of my shoulders. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Aamar

Yeah, so take your next breath with the weight overhead rather than when it's in the lowest position. Be sure to keep active shoulders when the bar is over your head—ie. drive your shoulders into your ears!

Thanks for getting back. I think I have an idea of what your saying is it that I rest the weight which I am pressing over my head instead of my shoulders. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Aamar

Back