Will this bulk make me Fat? I'm worried.

Nitrosoxide

My Goal is to gain muscle.

I'm two weeks into my HST (starting 10s next week)

and I've been doing the following. Training days, I've been taking the following protein shakes

Morning: 1 Scoop Muscle Milk (150 Cal)

Before Workout: 1 scoop Muscle Milk (150 Cal)
After Workout: 1 Scoop optimum Whey (130 Cal)

Bed: 1 Scoop Optimum (120 Cal)

On non- training days I do the same but, without the before/after workout shakes.

I thought that this was a good idea until I read this by Lyle McDonald

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/Fat%20loss/initialbodyfat.html

Which apparently warns that

"1. If you’re above 15% body fat (about 24-27% for women), diet first. " before training.

I'm at 18% bodyfat so I'm wondering if I should

A. keep going with my bulk and HST cycle and then after try his Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.

B. Stop taking the shakes and continue the cycle.

Yep, you're gonna be one of those fat boys who insist on taking a pic of themselves every week to show off their guts. I vote diet down to 12% then bulk...or at least 15 anyway.

You are going to gain fat on any bulk. But to determine whether you are going to become a fat slob, we'd need to know more than just the fact that you are taking shakes. Are you tracking total calories? If you aren't, you should learn how right now because you are going to need to be able to have some idea of your caloric intake if you want to cut down later.

Anyway, you might as well just finish what you are doing now and then go on a diet after that. That's my vote. You are definitely going to need to go on a cut eventually, but I think it is important to follow through with what you are doing now so you don't develop the habit of changing what you are doing every two weeks.

Not tracking total calories... But, even if I was all I know is that I should be aiming for (while bulking)

1.5 g/ lb protein

Haven't got a clue about how many total calories I should be intaking. Nor g's of carbs and fat I should intake.

Anyone know a good resource on these topics.

I'm kinda leaning towards continuing HST, but stopping the shakes and getting down to 12%. If I did this would the HST during this still promote hypetrophy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So should I continue HST while doing it?</div>Yes
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I mean will I still promote hypertrophy in anyway if I'm doing a diet</div>Probably not

You will get much farther along in bbing if you stop worrying about all that and focus on cutting down to a certain bodyfat or bulking up to a certain bodyfat level.  Alot of this depends on how big you are also.  18% on me looks like i'm the staypuff marshmallow man...on you it might look skinny

<div>
(Nitrosoxide @ Jun. 08 2008,7:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not tracking total calories... But, even if I was all I know is that I should be aiming for (while bulking)</div>
Ok, that is just frikken stupid.  If you don't track calories you're doomed for failure......sheez I'm getting internet forumitis again.  I&quot;m taking my toys and going to play in another sandbox for 3 months.

Cut the carbs out of your diet. Sugar, starch, anything that can spike your blood glucose and insulin, cut that out. Cut out the soft drinks, the potatoes, the bread, the sweets, the pasta. Eat meat with the fat. Eat roughage i.e. green leafy vegetables. Cut the supplements except perhaps vitamin D and potassium. Vit D is good for bones and potassium is good for protein retention. But don't take my word for it, read about it for yourself.

Visit this link for more information about how you get fat and how you get lean:
www.lowcarb.ca

If your goal is to get lean as quick as possible, stay in bed. If your goal is something else like grow muscle or grow strong, train for it. If you're hungry, eat. If you're not hungry, don't eat. Take your time and watch how you react to a low/zero carb diet. If you're tired during the first few weeks, increase your fat intake by eating full fat cream or cheese or bacon or even some oils such as olive oil and fish oil and coconut oil. If you don't eat carbs, you end up using fat for fuel. If you don't eat enough fat, you get tired. Also, as you eat fat, you also eat cholesterol and cholesterol (it's a component of bile) is needed to digest and absorb fat so the more you eat, the better you can digest it. If you're like most people on this planet, you've become adapted to a high carb diet and mis-adapted to a high fat diet. It takes time to adapt to a high fat diet so be patient.

Have fun.

Back