working out after hernia surgery

kal_el

I had a groin hernia repaired on December 5, 2006 at the Shouldice Clinic near Toronto (they only do hernias there and their patients come from around the world).  They suggest the conservative approach to recovery - walk all you want, but hold back on any lifting or heavy physical activity for several weeks or more.  Today (December 10), I returned to the gym just because I missed being away for a week, and I only did some very light lifting.  I tried only exercises and used a weight that I felt would not put a strain on the groin area.  I tried some curls, tri pulldowns, and sitting chest press.  If anyone can make some suggestions for exercises that create little or no pulling in the groin area for me to try while recovering over the next few weeks, I would appreciate it.  I feel I need some variety to get me through this phase.

Don't lift weights.
rock.gif

It will do no good, unless you lift heavy enough to cause potential intra-abdominal pressure which can cause your groin muscles to contract.
ghostface.gif

Even doing heavy triceps pushdowns or barbell curls you might hurt something.
Take a break from the gym. You won't lose much strength, and what you do lose will easily come back once you resume training. The 'light' training is useless too, if it is light enough to be safe for your injury, it is too light to accomplish anything.

Agreed, doing light workouts will not really accomplish anything, I would only suggest continuing to lift lightly to fulfill your "gym junkie" fix, which it sounds like you have bad if you're missing the iron after only a week!

Other than that follow your doctor's directions and let it heal, then get into a proper program as soon as its safe to do so.

Yup, I'm with Sci. Sounds like you are in a big hurry for what? To possibly set yourself back even longer?

However hard it seems to take a couple of weeks off, it just doesn't make sense not to.

It'll be a really good SD and you'll get to spend some more time with the misses, gf, kids, whatever.

Thanks for the replies. It must be a reaction to the surgery trauma that's created the "gym-junkie" needs.
smile.gif

I never had problems with SD before. Maybe it was the drugs they had me on at the hospital.
biggrin.gif

I'll try and be sensible.
Cheers

Listen to your doctor who told you several weeks or more. I just had an appendectomy seven weeks ago, and I just returned to the gym last week after he recommended no lifting 4 to 6 weeks.

Back