Workout Drink

Louno

My workouts take between 1h15 and 2h ( depending on alot of things ) when i get at the end of the workout im feeling really hungry so i thought maybe i should drink something while working out.

I use a pre and post workout protein shake.
I just bought some gatorade powder, i was wondering if it was a good ideal to drink 1 bottle while working out, what are the pros and cons of using a carb drink during workout ? does it have any effects on the shakes you take before/after ... is it good ? is water better ? ...

I usually just drink water. It's easy to mistake thirst for hunger. There'd be nothing wrong with drinking gatorade during a workout.

If your workouts are going over an hour, just sip on a protein/carb drink. You want to make sure your amino saturation stays at peak levels and the carbs will help to keep energy up. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just use whey and dextrose. Or throw a scoop of protein in with your gatorade.

That's a good option and something I've done before. Some unflavored whey in a gatorade, shake well, and you're set.

if you put whey in your workout drink, isnt this going to make your post workout drink less effective ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Louno @ April 27 2005,11:05)]if you put whey in your workout drink, isnt this going to make your post workout drink less effective ?
Not at all. The only thing you have to worry about is keeping amino levels up so the muscles stay consistently saturated during a long workout. After the workout, follow up with your regular post-workout shake.

So, what youre telling me, is that, protein+carbs in your workout drink can only be good ?

then, wouldnt it be good for everyone to have a workout drink ( a little protein + carbs + water ) in addition to the pre/post shakes :confused:

no, because you aren't in the gym to eat. If you have your shake before you workout, then you just go to the gym, do what you need to, and get out. 2 hours in the gym is wasted time, you're only in the gym a few hours a week (well, supposedly) so get in there and make the time count.

why do you say 2 hours in the gym is wasted time ?

I go to the gym with a friend, we do a full body workout, with 13-16 exercises + 8min of bike.

I take 1-2min rest between sets... sometimes a little more during the 5s if i want to be able to finish the sets, and im in the 5s right now and it takes me 2hours to do my workout... i dont talk much while working out, on average i have to wait about once or twice for someone to finish their set because my gym is kidna crowded.

I dunno, I was doing about the same thing and getting out in an hour. How many sets are you doing? It might help to tighten it up

Squat or Dead
Press of some sort
Chin
Row
Hamstrings
Triceps (optional)
Biceps (optional)
Calves

done.

I'll let someone else who's more informed than myself go into detail but its generally accepted that workouts lasting longer than an hour or so are counterproductive, I'm not sure if continuous intake of protein and carbs reduces the effect of rising cortisol levels but I don't think there's any need for a workout that long anyway.

I do a full upper body workout and only use 5 exercises (one chest, one back, one shoulder, one bi, one tri), the most I'd ever do would be 8 (extra one for the chest/shoulder/back) if i was doing legs too then the max I'd add would be 3....so I don't understand how you've got to 13-16 exercises, especially if you're doing multiple sets?

If you want to spend more time in the gym I'd advise halving the volume and doubling the frequency...

cheers

rob

If im alone it takes 1h30-1h40 but with a friend it takes a little more time but its much more enjoyable.

Also the reason i have so many excercise is that i read somewhere in here that if your body can handle it, do it, more work = more gains AS LONG as your body can handle it and you dont go to failure etc. So far so good i started at 137lbs and im now at 156lbs, after 8months, i know i could have gained much more but im only eating just a little above maintenance because i dont want to gain fat, and it works pretty good i actualy lost some fat noticabely around the waist and gained muscle at the same time.

Also another reason is that im trying to work as many muscle as possible.

Here is my workout :
PS: i dont do squats or deadlifts because im afraid im going to injure my back again like i did when i first tried to go to the gym 4 years ago ( i quit 2 months after )

Leg press ( incline seated squats or something like that)
seated calves
leg curls
bench press
fly
narow grip back row
chin up wide grip palms facing away
shoulder press
barbel bicep curls
cable tricep pulldowns
wrist curls
reverse wrist curls
seated incline bicep curls