workout with out righ hand

Smee

Hi All,

I need some advice on working out without the full use of my right hand. I had a slight diy accident necessitating the reattachment of my little finger
blush.gif
.Besides the obvious grip issues, I was also in a dressing which immobilized the whole wrist and all the fingers for awhile and it will be weeks before I get my strength and range of motion back.

I have access to a pec deck if I find I'm struggling with benching (not ideal but better than nothing) and legs obviously aren't a problem.

The difficulty is the pulling - rows, lat pull downs, deadlifts.

Are there any alternatives that don't rely as much on the hand / grip ? Do you think straps will be able to compensate for finger grip issues in those lifts ?

Any advice is appreciated as even without further surgery which might be necessary I'll not have full use of the hand back for weeks.

Thanks!

PS. You won't believe what a proper "sd" will do to your muscles! I literally couldn't move a muscle in my forearm for 2 week and when the dressing came off I was shocked, it was basically skin and bone !

Managed to get some straps and am pleased to report back that it seems like it will do the trick
laugh.gif

Started 15's today extra extra light to get the feel, so it's a little early to tell if the use will come back before the weight gets to heavy, but at least I'm back !

Must say that after a 8 week lay off, even the extra light weights got the muscles burning
biggrin.gif

Bottom line, straps help your grip one helva lot!

smee

dont know how i missed this one the 1st time. as youve found, straps work great for your very situation. im sure your in therapy so your grip strength should come back slowly. as it does you can still use the straps just dont wrap them as tight as you currently do and that will help your grip improve while not having to rely on it 100%. hopefully in time you wont need them at all.

good luck

<div>
(bluejacket @ Nov. 15 2006,15:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">smee

dont know how i missed this one the 1st time. as youve found, straps work great for your very situation. im sure your in therapy so your grip strength should come back slowly. as it does you can still use the straps just dont wrap them as tight as you currently do and that will help your grip improve while not having to rely on it 100%. hopefully in time you wont need them at all.

good luck</div>
No worries!!
biggrin.gif

Having never used straps before I wasn't sure if what grip I had would be enough, but it works great.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Back