Would it be a mistake to train abs on off days?

Dvst8or

(Yes I did a search)

My goal is just to have a stronger core. I am not trying to have more visible abs because I know abs are 90% diet.

I'm curious if it would be working my abs too much without enough recovery since they are worked on deadlifts, squats, weighted pullups, etc. My workouts are already running pretty long on training days so adding them at the end of my workouts is not something I really want to do.

I would just be doing a few sets of hanging leg raises and some lying leg-hip raises. Again just trying to strengthen core, not really hypertrophy.

Hi Dvst8or.. Don't think you'd be getting much of a core workout from those exercises.
I think you'd be hitting rectus abdominis and hip flexors almost exclusively.

But if you where to go for better core exercises on off-days, with deads,squats,pullups in your main sessions, I'm sure it would be to much.
if all sessions include all 3 lifts, i'm also sure no additional core training is necessary.

Well I do them like Lyle recommends in this thread:
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=6235&highlight=abdominal

Which is to make sure you round your back/curling your hips up which I already do. Although after reading that thread I may just do weighted crunches. Regardless I would prefer not to add them to my workouts becuase of how long they are already getting.

My sessions don't include all 3! That would be murder lol. I use an A/B split and alternate them on Mon/Wed/Fri. A - has deads and pullups and B - has squats (no thats not all I do). So one week is A/B/A next week is B/A/B then repeat. So I would be wanting to do ab work on Tues and Thurs, possibly Sat if I was up to it.

But as I said (and so did you) I am wondering if that would be too much work on the abs and not enough recovery.

If you're only considering doing abs, i'm sure you'll be fine.
But as i said, you won't be adding much to your general core strenght. rectus ab. is only 1 among many stabilizers.

Aah I see what you are saying. Yes I am only considering abs because I am already hitting a lot of the other core stuff already. Abs are the only ones that I feel I may be 'neglecting.'

Back