Wrists not growing ?

Louno

In the past months ive put considerable efforts to grow my arms, it worked to some extend , except for my wrists, my wrist are still as small as they were before ( i can see my wrist bones )
What i did to add mass was i added hammers , wrist curls and reverse wrist curls to my hst workout, it worked really well for my forearm like i said and im happy but my wrist arent really bigger, is there something wrong with my exercises? or do i need to put on more mass to my forearm to get my wrist to eventualy grow ?

Small wrist is actually a good thing. Your arms will look bigger with small wrist.

If you want to add size to them, you have to gain fat.

Wrists will not be bothered by RBE. They are very resilent. Put a barbell or some DB's under your bed or in your john. Try 3 times per day, 15 to 25 reps, every day, to failure:

Wrist curls

Reverse wrist curls

Took my wrists from below average to large. It takes a while but well worth it. Once they are big, they do not even need any special maintenance work to stay big.

If you are a grown adult your wrist won't grow(or only marginally), even though there are large amounts of tendons attached there is very little musculature in the wrist itself.

I disagree Dan. I added 3/4" to my wrists after age 40. Theh again, no one has ever accused me of being a grown adult!
laugh.gif

Not gonna disagree with ya O&G, I just don't see how. Once the bones are grown the musculature in the wrist is so small that at most you might see fractional growth but IMHO that's it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Feb. 25 2005,7:25)]I added 3/4" to my wrists after age 40. Theh again, no one has ever accused me of being a grown adult!  
laugh.gif
Good for you, O&G! Never give up, never surrender. ;)

Actually, I would've posted as Dan did, had I posted first. If reality is going to go and prove me wrong, guess I'll have to change my mind again. *HUGEsigh*

I enjoy reading your posts, O&G. As a mere pup of 50, it is nice to have someone showing me the way...

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

The Wrist Flexion Exercise works the flexor muscles which are located on the palm side (anterior) of the forearm. Flexion of the wrist is obtained primarily through the flexor carpi radialis and flexor carpi ulnaris and secondarily by the palmaris longus and long abductor of the thumb. The flexors flexors of the fingers only assist if they are extended and are not gripping an object. These muscles extend to the hand itself.

The Wrist Extension Exercise works the extensor muscles which are located on the posterior (back side) of the forearm. Extension of the wrist is obtained primarily by the extensor carpi radialis longus and brevis and by the extensor carpi ulnaris. The extenders of the fingers assist in extension only if the fist is clenched. These muscles extend to the hand itself.

The Wrist Supination Exercise (turning, rotating the palm up) works the supinators of the forearm. Supination is performed in the forearm by the supinator muscle, extensor carpi radialis longus and the biceps brachii of the upper arm.

The Wrist Pronation Exercise (turning, rotating the palm down) works the pronators of the forearm. Pronation is performed by combined action of the pronator teres, pronator quadratus, and the flexor carpi radialis and, and in extremely forceful pronation, the palmarus longus. The brachial radialis muscle is considered by some anatomist to be both a pronator and a supinator form the extremes of supination and pronation.

The Wrist Radial/Ulnar Deviation (abduction) Exercise works the radial and ulnar flexors of the wrist. Ulnar abduction (movement towards the fifth finger) is obtained by the combined actions of the extensor carpi ulnaris and flexor carpi ulnaris. Radial abduction (movement towards the thumb side) is obtained primarily by the long abductor and short extensor of the thumb, and secondarily by the extensor carpi radialis longus and brevis, flexor carpi radialis and the long extensor of the thumb.

ncie cut and paste - who wrote the origonal at FAQ?

the wrist itself wont be effected much by a increase in forearm musculature, as there is not a whole lot around the wrist itself. For bbing incraesing the size of the wrist is pointless, as you are trying to appear as large as possible.

yea thick bones give you that blocky powerlifter look - great for supporting a 600 pound bench but horrible for bodybuilding.. what you want are massive forearms.. have a look at Mike's for inspiration... :)

Am I being scolded for peeing on the rug or something Aaron?  
blush.gif

Actually I lifted that from a paddleball website advertising a gadget called an RGT wrist builder:

(http://www.paddleball.com/paddles/Accessories/wristbuilder/faqs.htm)

If it appears in this website's FAQ also, I suggest that whoever put it there got it from the same source that I did. Actually I could have complicated the explanation by referring to studies by such noted neurologists as Shah and Fagg but I prefer to use simpler language when possible since most of us on here are not latent kinesologists but just regular Joes trying to optimize stength, hypertrophy and health.

For all my fellow wrist fetishers, here is a simple test to see how your wrist stacks up to "normal".  Using your thumb and middle finger, wrap it around your wrist past the "bump" (notice the technical language)  
happy.gif
 on the forearm side. If you can wrap it all the way around and then some, your wrist is somewhat skinny; if you can just barely have your finger tips meet, it a on the larger side of average and if you have a gap of more than 1/4", then you have some pretty good sized wrists and it ain't all bone baby.    
thumbs-up.gif

Personally, I wear long sleeved shirts about 7 months out of the year. I prefer to have good sized wrists rather than slender ones under those conditions.

BTW, the biggest genetic advantage you can have to making your upper arms look bigger is not in having skinny wrists. It's in having short arms. You can't beat a 17 1/2" collar with a 32" sleeve!  Get out the bone saws!    
crazy.gif

Ok so HST wont work well for wrists ? i need to do 15 + reps per set ?

I can definitively wrap my thumb and middle finger around it...
And yes exactly i wear long sleeve shirts too...

Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls is what i do, but i do them hst style with a barbell, I feel i could use heavier weights but it hurts ( especialy on the reverse ) so im doing 60lbs for wrist curls and 30lbs for reverse , i can do about 8 reps.

If i switch to higher reps / lower weights, will this affect my hst workout for my forearms because these exercise do work my forearms too and i want to grow them too :)

thanks for the help everyone btw

Louno, that is a good question and I don't have a good answer for you. My experience that the three muscles groups that you use the most in everyday living, calves, wrists and forearms, are the hardest to get to grow. It has something to do with fast and slow twitch makeup and the repetitive non weight bearing exercise they get every day. To get my 3 stubborn groups to grow, I found that I needed very high volume, very high frequency and moderately high reps. That basically came down to training them 3 times per day with about 3 sets each at 15 to 25 reps. Even though it takes a while to see the results, I have found that once I got the size I wanted, I never had to directly train them again. Just everyday living seems to keep them there. I certainly would not discount HST as a way to train those 3 groups although I remain convinced that very high volume and frequency will still be key to their development. It's worth the effort though. Who wants to be some limp wristed guy who has to use straps to do lat pulldowns. That is as bad as doing them by swinging your bodyweight way back and then letting the weight fly back with a 1/10th second eccentric rep.    
laugh.gif

BTW, all three of those muscle groups can be exercised multiple times daily without any sophisticated equipment. All you really need is a desk or counter with an overlapping top and a little creativity.
happy.gif

i injured my left wrist and it's not completely healed after a month... i guess bb curls aren't for me
sad.gif
i can't do any curls yet so i transfered to hammers. my therapist said to do the wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. and i want a forearm like the picture above and hopely with that kind of forearm my wrist wouldn't give up any more
tounge.gif

Back