XFatMan's Basic Strength Program I

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One question - how do you get to 124 and 184 pounds? What plates are you lifting with?</div>
Over here in Brazil, everything is in Kilograms. The conversion is Kg / 0.453. If that sounds weird to you, you should see the amounts in Kg.
laugh.gif

Friday, April 04, 2008

75% of projected 5 RM

Squat
3 sets / 5 reps / 120 lbs

Overhead Press
3 sets / 5 reps / 84 lbs

Power Clean
3 sets / 5 reps / 74 lbs

Bent-Over Row
2 sets / 5 reps / 48 lbs

The bent-over row is okay. I’ll just add 2 Kg / 4 pounds each workout so I can watch my form. The power clean is not that bad anymore, but there isn’t a real jump yet. But if I can get the rest under the belt first, the jump will come in naturally as weights increase.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

The changes (in inches and pounds):

Waist 31.5 (-0.6)
Hips 37.4 (+0.4)
Thigh 22.2 (-0.2)
Body Weight 157.6 (-0.4)
Body Fat Percentage 14.8% (-0.5%)

I’ll stick to the 500-calorie deficit for one more week. I am going to add another 3-minute round to my daily jump rope session, which then consists of 6 rounds. One round burns nearly 50 calories, so that means slightly more food at the same calorie deficit.

Monday, April 7, 2008

80% of projected 5 RM

Bench Press
3 sets / 5 reps / 132 lbs

Squat
3 sets / 5 reps / 128 lbs

Deadlift
1 set / 5 reps / 198 lbs

The Squat is horribly heavy and my form is suffering to the point that I get a stiff neck. I know I’m looking up on ascend, and know it’s wrong. But it’s something I’m doing almost unconsciously. I need an urgent solution to get stronger on this lift. Should I do assistance exercises for squats? Or perhaps cut back to two days and start with Front Squats on the other day? Or perhaps just keep my form in check and increase the weight by 2 Kg / 4 lbs each workout? Any advice here is very welcome.

The Bench Press is certainly becoming heavy now. But in my last cycle, I needed to cluster at that weight. This time, I went straight through the sets.

That was my best Deadlift set in a long, long time. This really made my day.

Pick a spot a little above eye level on the wall in front of you when squatting. Keep your eyes fixed on that point throughout the lift.

Back