Yet Another Shoulder Injury

Crackerman

Last Monday I injured my shoulder while working out. I'm not exactly sure which exercise was the culprit but I have a feeling it may have been behind head press (smith machine) or the incline dumbell bench. I feel I may have overstretched on one of these exercises and now have a fair bit of discomfort in the front of my left shoulder. Any movement that brings in to play that muscle and I instantly get a shot of pain in my shoulder.

Is this likely to be anything serious? I've had problems with my other shoulder previously but this feels totally different.

I've not been back to the gym since.

Thanks

Hello Crackerman :)

How serious that is depends on the pain you feel. If it doesn't feel like ordinary muscle pain, then that's bad news dude, sorry.
sad.gif
That might actually be a joint problem, which means you really have to rest.

Hopefully, that won't last long. I've had a right shoulder problem that I think is similar to what you're saying, except that mine only bothered me whenever I was benchpressing or executing flys. I just rested enough, decreased the weights, and I got over it ok.

And btw, did you do the 15's during this cycle? If you skipped that, that might be the problem. But you probably didn't skip them. Anyway, since you are in SD right now (you said you haven't been to the gym right?), enjoy the SD, then be sure to start your next cycle with 15's. Unless that's a really serious problem, I'm sure a little over a week of SD and the 15's will fix you right up.

Hope that helps! :)
- JV

I was actually just beginning the second week of 10's. I took a short SD this time around and then headed straight in to the 10's skipping the 15's. I dont really know if this had any bearing on my injury though. My warm up may have been inadequate.

I think ill just give it until the end of next week and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it will mend quickly.

how far did you bring the bar down? i heard somewhere not really sure where though, but the bar shouldn't go bellow the ears.

and my trainer told me that my arms should be perpendicular.

I would have gone lower than ear level!

I read the same thing also but I thought that rule only applied when the weights got really heavy.

Heya, Crackerman :)

Well, I believe the term for that is overstretching, and I also believe it really isn't advisable to overstretch. It is only particularly highlighted during heavy weights because there if you oversretch you really will be "punished" for it.

Another thing to consider (but I don't think it might be your problem right now since you were just in the 2nd week of tens) when it comes to avoiding injuries like those (joint-related) is to make sure you really aren't using too much weight. I did that once, but had to pay for it with my right shoulder. So I just threw my ego out the window! (Hey, it was either that or my shoulder!
tounge.gif
)

Well, goodluck, hope you heal fast! :)
- JV

I have trouble with my left shoulder, too. I've hurt it in the past by letting the bar down too far on military, and now don't let it down farther than the back of my head--it seems to have solved THAT problem. But about a year ago I really hurt my shoulder doing warm-ups on a flye machine with hardly any weight. No idea what caused it, but it was sudden and painful, and I stopped training for a few months waiting for the pain to go away. It didn't. I started doing yoga, then, and this helped considerably, and then I went back to the gym and worked my chest with dumbbells and dips, and have only experienced minor discomfort since.

I heard somewhere that if you injure your rotator cuff, that you should continue working it lightly to avoid muscle scarring. I don't know if there is any validity to this claim, as it is just something I heard around the gym, but I did notice that when I started working it lightly again, the pain went away.

i think i strained my right shoulder... i'm just going to dump the cycle for now and rest for 2 weeks.

i COULD workout and finish the cycle i'm sure... but it's not a big deal now.. just a lil soar... in the belly of the muscle... BUT i DON'T want to risk it.

so SD time for me!

i only got in 5.333 weeks of cutting.. kind of disappointing but hey.. it happens. right?

Yeah, injuries suck. Some u can work through some u can't. Happened to me just couple of weeks ago (shoulder injury) just like u described it. I'm back to doing bench presses but i'll lay of military presses for a while because it still feels iffy.

Back