1 five-rep max vs. 5 one-rep maxes

I would say yes, but I don't have any experience with it. This is something I plan on implementing into my next cycle so that I can train at different weight/rep but similar intensities.

I understand the paper's point on total fatigue for the week, but I think you should probably just use your historical average to setup a range. For instance I was doing a 3x5 @70% 3 times a week for Squat, Bench, Deads with a progressive overload added in. So I was in the 1.5 - 2+ range for my cycle, but my wife using the same percentages of her 1rm could have easily done a 4th set for each lift, because she has a different capacity for sub-maximal loads. She is better at the work aspect but not as good at the maxxing aspect. So my point being, I would figure out your historical work capacity, then program groups of muscles within your capacity with the progressive mechanical load.

Just posted my first session using this system based on INOL of 0.5, think later in the 5s maybe a problem as it suggests quite low reps per session but I will see how it goes

I generally start the 5s at 80% of 1rm then 82.5, 85 and finally 89%, so at 85% that would be 7/8 reps and at 89% it would be 5/6 reps. As you can tell I don't follow the normal HST progression, my progression is at %s of my 1rm and as follows 15s - 52.5%, 57.5%, 62.5% and 67.5%, 10s - 70%, 72.5%, 75%, 77.5%, 5s as above which is why managing fatigue is required as apart from 15s I am working at 90% or above of the max load for each rep range!!

Back