15s

Bryan Haycock

Administrator
Staff member
First week back after 2 weeks of SD. ARGH!!!!! The pain of it all.
biggrin.gif

i hear ya, i got hurt in the beginning of the third week and missed a little more then two weeks, just started back up this week on 15s and whoaaaa

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Oct. 12 2006,14:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">First week back after 2 weeks of SD. ARGH!!!!! The pain of it all.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Just remember...

Anything over 5 reps is cardio!

Hey Bryan can you please post the details of your routine?

Exercises, target reps, weights, tweaks etc. (This is your chance to brag
tounge.gif
)

Thanks! Now I don't have to feel so bad. During the 15s in my next cycles, alls I gotta think about is, &quot;Hey, they're kickin BRYAN'S butt too!&quot;
laugh.gif

Its not exactly an ego boosting experience but it sure does set you up nice for the rest of the cycle.
cool.gif

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Oct. 12 2006,15:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Bryan can you please post the details of your routine?

Exercises, target reps, weights, tweaks etc. (This is your chance to brag
tounge.gif
)</div>
This is probably more info that most of you care to know about. But here goes anyway.

I'm using an upper/lower 6 day split.

Legs
Leg press, leg extension, leg curl. Also stiff leg DLs and lunges. Calf raises too.

Chest:
Hammer Iso-lateral incline, bench and decline. I'll also do Incline DB press and Dips.

Back:
Hammer Iso-lateral row, high row, and lat-pull (or something). I'll also do Chins (all grips) and pull downs. I'll do seated row (machine) as well as narrow grip pulldown o machine. On occasion I'll do giantsets of lying rear delt raises w/1-arm DB row. Hyper extensions too.

shoulders:
Front raise, lateral raise, shoulder press on Smith machine, lying rear delt raise, and read delt on pec deck.

Arms:
DB curls, preacher, incline, bent over 1-arm (sort of like a concentration curl) and EZ bar using wide grip.

Push Downs, lying triceps w/DB or EZ bar, 1 arm over head tri extensions.

I do incline sit ups and one of those seated twisting machines for my &quot;core&quot;. I hear It's cool to call my gut my &quot;core&quot;.
smile.gif

reps:
When I start my 15s I just go for feel the first week. So for example, today I decided to do horizontal leg press. The weight was very light (220) so after I did 15 reps I changed my stance and repped out 15 more. Needless to say my legs were on fire and I asked myself why I was doing this if I was never going to have quads like Ronnie Coleman.

During the second week of 15s I focus on getting the weight as high as I can and still hit multiple sets of 15.

During the first week of 10s I do multiple sets of 10 reps. During the second week of 10s I'll do at least one or two sets of 10, then perhaps do a couple sets of 6-8.

The 5s are all about weight all the way through. Multiple sets of 5-8 with as little rest as I can handle. I almost always do super sets so I have time to rest one muscle group while I work the other.

Sets:
As many as time and strength will allow. Of course, by doing this my strength is often not fully recovered from workout to workout. However, bacause I am not lifting with my RMs every workout I am still able to utilize heavier weights each workout when indicated.

weights:
Nothing to brag about. All over the map. I'll use as little as 10lb DBs for lateral raises during the 15s. I go as heavy as I can for as long as I can extend the 5s. Although I am not pushing my maxes to their absolute max, I am happy to say that I am injury free (for the moment) and still making subtle improvements (rear delts?)

cardio:
Yes, I said cardio. I do 1-2 mile walk/jog first thing in the morning (5:30am). Then I'll do another 30 minutes of the stair mill, eliptical, or treadmill after my workout. I'm doing this mostly at this time to lean out. I'm approaching 40 and its becoming more and more difficult to drop bodyfat at will. So I want to get in great shape and stay there instead of my perpetual &quot;mass cycle&quot; that I've been doing for the last 1o years.

tweaks
When doing front raises, I'll do them alternating while holding the dumbbells in the upper position. Same with lateral raises. This just helps me get a little more out of them with less weight. I'll do the same on the isolateral leg extension and leg curl machines. Of course, during the 5s that type of thing goes out the window and I just do regular reps.

The other thing I do that might be a tweak is holding a stretch position at the end of a set to induce a burn. You don't have to hold it with any real stretch, just enough to impede blood floor for about 30 seconds.

I always do super sets, if that's a tweak. Chest/back, quads/hams, bis/tris, etc.

upper/lower six-day split...I am guessing this means upper body m/w/f and lower body tu/th/sa?

I have currently been doing only 6 compound lifts, but have recently contemplated adding some exercises like arm iso's, calf iso's, trap iso's and more angles for lats, delts and pecs.  I was very undecided about how much too add, etc. But after seeing Bryan's extensive routine, I think there is nothing wrong with adding a few exercises!  Geez, Bryan you have like a hundred different exercises!  I have always been a minimalist, but compared to Bryan, if I add a few exercises, I will still be doing basics!
tounge.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 12 2006,20:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">upper/lower six-day split...I am guessing this means upper body m/w/f and lower body tu/th/sa?</div>
Yep.

My most successful HST run was higher volume, kind of like Bryan described (though not quite that much), similar upper/lower split (if memory serves).

The difference was that I personally found a 2 full days off over the weekend was tremendously helpful. So I did something like this:

Monday:lower
Tuesday:upper
Wednesday:lower
Thursday:upper
Friday:lower + upper

Friday's workout would combine the two routines, and I'd cut out some of the isolation-y movements as needed to make it managable.

Also, I scheduled lower body for m/w/f to make sure I didn't do back to back lower body days (which would have happened if I scheduled upper for m/w/f), as that seemed a bit much.

Worked like a charm.

Hey...happy to see you're back!

Yeah 15's what can I say? They are just a pain in the arse but a necessary one.

Guys (specially newbies) - do not try to do Brayn's routine if you have not been through a few HST cycles, he has been in the iron game forever and is being honest...waaaaay too much for begginers though.

Remember he has done all the tweaks in the business! And...as Quad says:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are The Bryan Haycock. You do not feel pain. You are ten feet tall and bulletproof.</div>
laugh.gif

i have not trained for 5wks due to doing double shifts at work,and taking a wk of to benidorm with my mates,so can you imagine the doms i am looking at when i start back.???  
sad.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Faz, you will be totally crippled!
biggrin.gif

I took a mate along to the gym the other day. He thought he was reasonably fit. I got him to do a set of 15s for deads and squats with a pretty light weight (a bit less than 100lbs). He nearly died! That was his workout over. He felt so sick and weak that he had to stop there. Thankfully, he managed to drive back from the gym but then he couldn't get out of the car as his legs had seized up! Call me cruel, but I don't think I've laughed so much in ages.
laugh.gif

Great routine Bryan...good to see I am not to far off base with my higher routine HST.

However if I would of posted this routine...everyone would of told me I was overtraining !
laugh.gif

Im off to the gym and pumped up now !!!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Oct. 12 2006,14:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">First week back after 2 weeks of SD. ARGH!!!!! The pain of it all.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Just hang in there, the dude that thought this sh*t up really knows his stuff.  It gets better.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

EDIT: Thanks for thinking this stuff up. I've progressed more in 3 months than the previous 3 years. Almost naturally too.

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Oct. 12 2006,22:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Needless to say my legs were on fire and I asked myself why I was doing this if I was never going to have quads like Ronnie Coleman.</div>
Even most top IFBB guys will never have quads like Ronnie Coleman! I know what you mean though Bryan, I will never have pecs like ol' Arnie either, but I try not to think about that when I am benching until it feels like my arm-pits are going to rip out!
wow.gif

I just aim for the biggest pecs possible. You know why you put yourself through quad torture...in the back of your mind, you know there exists the possibility of putting just one more inch of mass on your thighs, if you can just squeeze out that last bit of hypoertrophy....Ok one more set!!!
laugh.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 13 2006,15:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You know why you put yourself through quad torture...in the back of your mind, you know there exists the possibility of putting just one more inch of mass on your thighs, if you can just squeeze out that last bit of hypoertrophy....Ok one more set!!!
laugh.gif
</div>
High rep squats seperate the men from the boys!
tounge.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

got back to it today its suprising how much strength you lose after five weeks.
normally do 2 sets of 15s on everything some exercises i could only get 2 sets of 8 out
rock.gif

doms to come
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, this is cool, Bryan dropped by to remind us all that even the gods evidently feel pain during the 15's.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've been out of lifting for more than a week already (not a planned SD). Probably will start either midweek or just forget it and start again next week, but not from scratch. Maybe just back to the weights when the cycle got cut abruptly.

Painful or not (actually, very painful!), there's nothing cooler in my mind than having my muscles hurt BECAUSE I LIFT WEIGHTS, instead of being one of those out of shape friends who have varied body pains because they never bothered to exercise at all (like too fat and knees can't support them, or so thin and just unaccustomed to working out that carrying a few boxes makes their back hurt or whatever, sheesh!)

Back