135 x warmup
185 x warmup
215 x 5 (video below)

High Rep Stuff

Pushups - me x 25
Wide Grip Pulldowns - 80 x 25
Bulgarian Split Squats (high bar) - me + 20 x 25/side

Discussion

It's weird how you slip into old habits.  Despite my cervical spine no longer being in hyperextension, I had gotten back into the habit of doing a sort of reflexive cervical extension that, somehow mysteriously, seemed to be causing a bit of the old asymmetry in terms of lateral hip shift.  By focusing on separating hip movement from that reflexive neck extension on the way down today, I was able to eliminate some of that.

I tried experimenting with various things, I kept the foot angle the same as yesterday, which still feels reasonable, maybe a ~5-10 degree difference between sides.  I also played around with "shoving the knees out" on the way up, and while it may have actually eliminated some of the hip hike, it also seemed to exaggerate the asymmetry at the bottom and didn't do anything to the lateral hip shifting.  Being a mutant is weird.

Bulgarians went much, much better today - using a bar and placing it on the traps seems to take care of the back rounding. Note to self.

As above, I snagged a video of the bench, just to show what this looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3NyvB1cWQ

Hoping to get this up to 225 in this style in the near-ish future.

You can also see the effort sort of typical of my sets lately in all of my exercises, i.e. I had at least another rep, maybe 2 if I really pushed it.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x 5 (second rep wasn't really "paused" per se)

Chins

Me x 3/side (2 finger assist)
Me x 1/side (1 finger assist)
Me + 85 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
215 x 5

Ab Wheel Rollouts

Me x 15

Discussion

Playing with squat form more, this time concentrating on really "keeping the knees out" on the way up. It seemed to help my asymmetry, also made the movement feel harder, which I suppose goes hand in hand. My last set at 225 was a little shaky, but more symmetric than it's been recently.

Oh yah, and I appear to have another cold, but I'm ignoring it and lifting anyways.

Decent session...

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup (band)
185 x warmup (band)
205 x warmup (no band)
225 x 5 (no band, concentrated on NOT GMing it)

Chins

Me x 1/side (1 finger assist)
Me + 85 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
215 x 5

Hook Grip Deadlifts

135 x warmup
225 x warmup
275 x warmup
295 x warmup
315 x 5

High Rep Stuff

Pushups - me x 26
Overhand Pulldowns - 80 x 26
Back Extensions (pause at top) - me x 20

Discussion

The main thing I concentrated on today in squats was a vertical trajectory on the way up, i.e. NOT gming it.  By my eye it looks reasonable.  Not sure I'll ever fully get rid of these various compensations, due to the asymmetry in my hips, but I do have some control over my GM-y tendencies, particularly late in a set.  In fairness, I think a low bar squat will almost always lend itself to a slightly GM-y performance at heavy for you/me weights, but one can still minimize this tendency to SOME degree.

Deadlifts I felt ambitious, so tried 315 for the set of 5.  It worked, though I was slightly round-y.  For a near maximal set of 5, I'll call this a reasonable set, and it was my original goal, so cool.

High rep observation - by only doing "static" work for my lower back in the form of squats and deadlifts the past couple of months, my dynamic lower back strength has been noticeably deconditioned.  I.e. even by rep 10 during back extensions I was getting an overwhelming burny sensation in my hamstrings and lower back.  Lesson of the day - include exercise which takes the spinal extensors through some range of motion, contrary to the Mcgill cult's claims.

After spending all day/night studying for an exam, I came home and lifted at ~2 am, because I am crazy.

Pause Squats

135 x warmup (band)
185 x warmup (band)
205 x warmup (band)
225 x warmup (band)
235 x 5 (belt, no band)

Chins

Me + 90 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
220 x 5 (all time PR in this style)

Discussion

Not a ton to say here. My squats were pretty symmetric in terms of lack of lateral hip drift, though my hip hike was going pretty strong. Why? No idea. On the plus side, this was very controlled with every rep ferreal paused.

Chins felt okay, and bench is getting closer to the limit but hopefully I can make it up to 225 in this style in the near-ish future.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 13 2009,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">After spending all day/night studying for an exam, I came home and lifted at ~2 am, because I am crazy.

Pause Bench
220 x 5 (all time PR in this style)</div>
Nice PR. You inspired me to try paused reps for bench and I'm really liking it.

Being a night bird, I often find myself training in the wee hours. I was still training at 2 am last night, although I would normally be done before that.

Hope your exam goes well.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 13 2009,11:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 13 2009,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">After spending all day/night studying for an exam, I came home and lifted at ~2 am, because I am crazy.

Pause Bench
220 x 5 (all time PR in this style)</div>
Nice PR. You inspired me to try paused reps for bench and I'm really liking it.

Being a night bird, I often find myself training in the wee hours. I was still training at 2 am last night, although I would normally be done before that.

Hope your exam goes well.</div>
I am a big fan of the paused reps. I like the feeling of absolute mastery over the weight, and I think it develops more of a constancy of form from one rep to the next.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x 5 (band)
185 x 3 (band)
205 x 3 (band)
225 x 1 (no band)
235 x 5 (belt, no band)

Chins

Me x 2/side (1 finger assist)
Me + 90 x 5 (video below)

Pause Bench

135 x 5
185 x 3
220 x 5

Discussion

Squats went more or less pretty well, and the last set of 235 was shaping up to be much superior to yesterday.  The second to last rep was a little GM-y, and the last rep was definitely a bit GM-y.  Perhaps I should just take longer between reps.  Not sure what's up with my squat strength here - unlike the last go around, my belted strength ain't much above my unbelted strength, and I don't really appear to be ahead strength-wise vs. last cycle.  Well, my UNBELTED squat was better, but belted, not so much.

Chins and bench went well enough.  Chins in particular felt pretty easy - I snagged a video of this today to show off how my form looks as late, and to try to get an interesting angle on it:

Weighted chins - me (165) + 90 x 5

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup (band)
185 x warmup (band)
205 x warmup (no band)
225 x warmup (no band)
235 x 5 (belt, no band)

Chins

Me + 90 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
220 x 5

Discussion

Man, some days are just discouraging for squats. This being one of those days.

Honestly, strength was okay, but symmetry was just kind of ******. It's amazing how easily this goes astray, and I'm not sure I've done much to make this look that much better over time. I suppose two things I have done are 1) created a more consistent, symmetric bottom position in general and 2) control the movement on the way down much better. The way up? Not so much.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 15 2009,1:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Video of a paused bench 220 x 5 set.</div>
Man, it is enviable the way you make all your lifts LOOK easy specially chins, bench and dips. What would you say is your true 5RM for bench now if you go on an all out effort?
From this angle it seems I use a wider grip for bench then you are using. What's your take on that, are you using a narrower grip intentionally or am I probably the one using a grip too wide?

<div>
(electric @ Oct. 15 2009,10:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 15 2009,1:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Video of a paused bench 220 x 5 set.</div>
Man, it is enviable the way you make all your lifts LOOK easy specially chins, bench and dips. What would you say is your true 5RM for bench now if you go on an all out effort?
From this angle it seems I use a wider grip for bench then you are using. What's your take on that, are you using a narrower grip intentionally or am I probably the one using a grip too wide?</div>
True 5 RM like touch and go? Not honestly sure, though I'm hoping my 1 RM is ~280+ at this point.

As far as grip width, unless you have competition aspirations, I would use the rule I'm employing, where your forearms are perpendicular to the ground at the bottom of your rep (i.e. bar contacting the chest). You'll notice in my video that my forearms are pretty much straight up and down there, which an &quot;average&quot; framed person will more or less get by making the tip of their thumbs border the smooth/rough border on the inside of a normal olympic bar.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 15 2009,2:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(electric @ Oct. 15 2009,10:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
From this angle it seems I use a wider grip for bench then you are using. What's your take on that, are you using a narrower grip intentionally or am I probably the one using a grip too wide?</div>
True 5 RM like touch and go?  Not honestly sure, though I'm hoping my 1 RM is ~280+ at this point.</div>
Mike, what I meant was that since you make those 5 reps look so easy how much more weight could you put and still manage those 5 paused reps but on a really all out effort. I am asking that because a 5RM lift for me looks a whole lot different and you make that bench look like a submax effort.

<div>
(electric @ Oct. 15 2009,2:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 15 2009,2:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
True 5 RM like touch and go?  Not honestly sure, though I'm hoping my 1 RM is ~280+ at this point.</div>
Mike, what I meant was that since you make those 5 reps look so easy how much more weight could you put and still manage those 5 paused reps but on a really all out effort. I am asking that because a 5RM lift for me looks a whole lot different and you make that bench look like a submax effort.</div>
Gotcha. For 5 paused reps, on a good day, I am guessing/hoping I could probably manage 225.

Decent day...

Pause Squats (modified form)

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup (band)
205 x warmup (band)
225 x 2
235 x 5 (belt, no band)
235 x 5 (belt, no band)

Chins

Me + 90 x 5
Me + 90 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
220 x 5 (normal grip)
220 x 5 (wider grip)

Hook Grip Deadlifts

135 x 1
225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1 (belt)
365 x 1 (belt)

Discussion

So, I tried experimenting a bit with squats, using Rippetoe's advice verbatim. &quot;Reach back with your *** and reach OUT and FORWARD with your knees.&quot; The net effect is &quot;evenly balanced&quot; but, by the very last set, it actually felt pretty good, and looked a little different than usual. More &quot;hip drive,&quot; seemingly, in terms of actually seeing my *** lead the movement, even without GMing it. Interesting. Some asymmetry, but whatever.

Chins/bench were fine. Wider grip is definitely weaker for me now, the forearms perpendicular to the floor is my strongest form now.

Hook grip deads went well. Stopped at 365, as it was hard but I didn't lose back position. Though it's worth noting that wearing a belt seems to make the arch BELOW where the belt is kind of go away. Like, I can't physically arch it while wearing the belt, no matter how hard I arch. Hip/upper back position is largely the same, but, dunno why that is.

I will test some conservative maxes this Sunday with a friend. Otherwise, this 6 week block is over.

Mike, I have a sneaking suspicion that you would have been a good Oly lifter (maybe really good); you have a great power-to-weight ratio. You're such a keen lifter too: disciplined, a bit of a perfectionist, and you have some powerlifting under your belt (ha!). Yet no Oly? Heck, you've even started using a hook grip! Obviously, I am aware of your hip situation which might make things difficult. Any thoughts?

Have a good blast on Sunday. I'm interested to hear how you get on.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 16 2009,5:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Mike, I have a sneaking suspicion that you would have been a good Oly lifter (maybe really good); you have a great power-to-weight ratio. You're such a keen lifter too: disciplined, a bit of a perfectionist, and you have some powerlifting under your belt (ha!). Yet no Oly? Heck, you've even started using a hook grip! Obviously, I am aware of your hip situation which might make things difficult. Any thoughts?

Have a good blast on Sunday. I'm interested to hear how you get on.</div>
I definitely intend on learning the oly lifts at some point. Probably odd that I've lifted this long without learning them...

I appreciate the kind words, though I'm not certain how good of an oly lifter I'd be. My upper body strength is pretty decent considering, my lower body strength is only mostly alright, perhaps in part (excuse forthcoming) due to my congenital hip weirdness.

Speaking of which, I actually got it x-rayed, and sure as ****, my hips are weird. Actually a variety of asymmetries, not just confined the the femur, some of the hip bones themselves are shaped a little differently. Oh well.

I had a decent day today.  Bench was a little awkward, but I'll live.

Pause Squats

135 x 5 (band)
185 x 3 (band)
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
285 x 1 (belt)
300 x 1 (belt, video)

Pause Bench

135 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1 (sloppy)

Chins

Me + 90 x 1
Me + 115 x 1
Me + 135 x 1
Me + 145 x 1
Me + 155 x 1
Me + 160 x 1 (all time PR, both absolutely and relatively, ~325 lbs total, video)

Hook Grip Deadlifts

225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
335 x 1
365 x 1 (belt)
385 x 1 (belt, all time PR, video)

Discussion

Squats - things felt pretty even today, really concentrated on hips back, knees out, and had a good groove overall.  Looking at the video, I was definitely good for more, but decided to play it safe.

Bench - I felt strong, but things felt awkward, since my bench setup at home is so atypical.  265 literally flew up, and I assumed 275 would be no problemo, but this was an ugly, ugly lift.  It literally looks like my *** has a seizure on video, though I don't think I ever lost contact with the bench, and fully paused it.  Not my best work by far, so I'll save a video for something less offensive looking. Edit: I see part of the problem - grip was way too narrow, forearms INSIDE of perpendicular at the bottom. On the plus side, I nearly close gripped 275? lul

Chins - this felt strong, and I peaked out higher than ever.  I even have video evidence!

Hook Grip Deads - while squared off plates are horrible for reps, they're actually quite nice for singles, since the bar couldn't roll away from me at  the start, a common problem I had.  Worked up to 385 and it felt pretty strict.  Video in this later, too.

Note: I'll post vids later, when I get them from my buddy's camera (he has to send them to me via the interwebs).

Monster! (albeit a small one
wink.gif
) Some great lifts there. A paused 275 for bench and a bw+160 chin?! Sheesh. I suck.

Back