200, 300, 400, 500 - A quest for greatness

Hook Grip Deadlift PR - 405 x 1

Other PR's today:

Pause Bench - 245 x 3.5 (tried a 4th, but no go)

Chins - me + 135 x 2 (technically a PR at this bodyweight)
1-Finger Assist: 5 reps per side

Bulgarian Split Squats - 135 for a triple on each side.  Could have done 5 on the left, but balance issues on the right, so, yah.

I would have liked to triple 135 in the chin, but I just did not have the mojo in me today. I probably could have managed it on Sunday, but I'll take the 160 single, so it's all good.

Nice dead Mike. How did your thumbs feel and did you feel like you could hang on at the top?  It looked a bit like you needed to put it down pretty quickly.

I'm getting the lads I train to put up with the discomfort while learning to hook-grip. I think it's well worth it in the long run especially if Oly lifts are in your future.

How do you like the Vibram's? Are they Classics? I was thinking of getting some of the KSO shoes for water sports. Never thought of using some Vibram's for deads.

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 19 2009,10:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice dead Mike. How did your thumbs feel and did you feel like you could hang on at the top?  It looked a bit like you needed to put it down pretty quickly.

I'm getting the lads I train to put up with the discomfort while learning to hook-grip. I think it's well worth it in the long run especially if Oly lifts are in your future.

How do you like the Vibram's? Are they Classics? I was thinking of getting some of the KSO shoes for water sports. Never thought of using some Classics for deads.</div>
Thumbs felt fine, and I definitely didn't NEED to set it down quickly, it didn't feel like it was going to fall out or anything.  Honestly not sure what you're talking about there?  I.e. I locked it out then set it down...why would I hang onto it at the top for an extended period?
tounge.gif
 It does hurt, so I was done with it at that point...

The shoes are Vibram KSO's, and they are good stuff.

edit: you're also the second person to ask about this...weird. All right, I'm going to hold it for like 10 seconds at the top next time for you form nazis
tounge.gif

It's just that you hang on to your chins for longer so I thought perhaps Aaron might be on to something.
tounge.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 20 2009,7:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's just that you hang on to your chins for longer so I thought perhaps Aaron might be on to something.
tounge.gif
</div>
The hook grip is interesting. I'm not sure the pain ever truly goes away, and I admit I find myself inclined to not hold onto the bar quite as long as with an alternate grip. Looking at the video again, I can see the fact that I didn't lock it out for that long, so I suppose I'll try to be conscious of this the next time and hold it longer.

Other than that, though, I actually do dig the hook grip. It's nice to be able to pull ~405+ again but now in the context of an actually symmetric/safer grip.

New lifting cycle. What's up this time?

Another 4 week cycle, but only three days per week...

Week 1 = 3 sets of 5
Week 2 = 5 sets of 5
Week 3 = 1 set of 5
Week 4 = deload/test maxes

Total weekly volume will be similar, but acute volume per session will be a bit higher. We'll see how this goes.

Pause Squats (low bar, Vibram's, no belt)

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 85 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
210 x 5
210 x 5
210 x 5

Prehab Stuff

Press - 45 x 15
Seated Cable Rows - 90 x 15

<div>
(mikeynov @ Nov. 20 2009,7:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The hook grip is interesting.  I'm not sure the pain ever truly goes away, and I admit I find myself inclined to not hold onto the bar quite as long as with an alternate grip.  Looking at the video again, I can see the fact that I didn't lock it out for that long, so I suppose I'll try to be conscious of this the next time and hold it longer.

Other than that, though, I actually do dig the hook grip.  It's nice to be able to pull ~405+ again but now in the context of an actually symmetric/safer grip.</div>
The discomfort definitely seems to diminish with conditioning. To toughen up my thumbs I did static holds using a hook grip working up to heavier loads than I would use for my regular deads. (Also tried a few single-arm deads with more than half the load of my best regular deadlift.) Seemed to help quite a lot as my thumbs never felt too bothered by regular deads afterwards unless I was doing a lot of reps and forgot to tape them first.

I read an article by Bill Star where he said he used a hook grip for deads as well as the Oly lifts; when he was still competing, he would find himself holding the steering wheel of his car with a hook grip because it had become second nature.

This was his advice:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To ease the discomfort, wrap strips of training tape around your thumbs at the joints below the ones with nails. A half strip is about right for most, and only wrap it around twice. More than that causes the tape to bunch up, which only makes matters worse.</div>
I haven't actually tried using training tapes but I have used some masking tape (that's what we Brits call the tough, papery tape used in decorating) and some PVC tape, both of which worked well enough.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x 5 (loose belt)
225 x 5 (loose belt)
225 x 5 (loose belt)

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 85 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
215 x 5 (maybe 4 on accident?)
215 x 5
215 x 5

Accessory Stuff

Press - 45 x 15
Bodyweight Rows - Me x 12
1-Leg Calf Raises - Me x 12/side

A tough turkey day workout...energy a little low.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Pauses better this time around.

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 85 x 5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5

Hook Grip Deadlifts

135 x warmup
225 x warmup
275 x warmup
295 x warmup
315 x 1 (no belt)
315 x 10 (loose belt)

Reps 1-8 all felt really solid. Rep 9 felt like I started to lose my form. So I tried to redouble my efforts, but instead, I rounded the **** out of rep #10.

Still, all competition legal, and this is a PR in hook grip by a country mile. I'll take it.

Man, I forgot how tiring 5 sets of 5 can be...my fatigue from last week may also be bleeding over into today.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x 5,5,5,5,5

This felt pretty good, though actually started a little high. At this point I am mostly focusing on staying comparatively upright via shoving my knees out a little more at the bottom.

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
215 x 5
205 x 5,5,5,5

Tried these slower/as tight as possible today, and as a consequence, had to scale down the weight.

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 45 x 3
Me + 85 x 5
Me + 80 x 5,5,5,5

Similar to bench, these took a bit of a dive in performance by trying to stay as tight as possible for my shoulder's sake.

I missed the chance to congratulate you on all of the PR's when they happened, Mike. Amazing progress - I hope like hell you're happy with the strength increases.

<div>
(_tim @ Nov. 30 2009,11:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I missed the chance to congratulate you on all of the PR's when they happened, Mike.  Amazing progress - I hope like hell you're happy with the strength increases.</div>
Very much appreciated, Tim.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
230 x 5,5,5,5,5

I took some videos of these. While my depth has become borderline, these look about as symmetric as they ever have. Good deal.

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 80 x 5,5,5,5,5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
210 x 5,5,5,5,5

Most tiring lifting day in recent memory...

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x warmup
235 x 5,5,5,5,5

Ouch.

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 85 x 5,5,5,5,5

Pause Bench

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
215 x 5,5,5,5,5

Almost failed the last rep of the last set.

Hook Grip Deadlifts

At this point, I was just ******.

225 x warmup
275 x warmup
315 x warmup
330 x 5 (loose belt)

I probably could have ground out another rep or two, but I just stopped, this wasn't going to be a PR effort and I didn't feel like pushing failure again.

I am thinking doing pulls for high reps does not agree with me so much, particularly after other high volume stuff.

Felt decent after my extra day off over the weekend...intensification week.

Pause Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup (band)
185 x warmup (band)
205 x warmup
225 x warmup
240 x 5 (loose belt)

Chins

Me x 5
Me + 45 x 3
Me + 90 x 5

Pause Bench