6ft woman to add muscle/lose fat

<div>
(dogmama @ Aug. 25 2006,22:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why not do both?</div>
My thoughts exactly. I don't think one or the other is the optimal solution here.

Of course weights are better then cardio because when you think about it weights ARE cardio. I think weights are like HIIT training in many ways. The effects go on for ages after.

But of course cardio has its place so she should do both like dogmama said
smile.gif

I usually do bench dips for triceps but I've been told they are somewhat of a compound because they work back, shoulders and chest too. 1 set. and 1 set of shoulder press as they are already warmed up.

I thought I'd mention a workout i did at a personal training studio:

It was bench press. 1 warmup set (8 reps easy) 1 working set. 1 set of 3 reps with negatives.

Lat pulldowns. 1 warmup set( 8 reps easy). 1 working set. then trainer made me pull bar to chest and hold it while he pushed down on weight stack and I resisted. just 1 rep on that.

Leg Press: 1 warmup set (6 reps easy). 1 working set heavy. Then straight onto 1 set of stationary lunges.

Finish 1 set of as many pushups as possible. Stretch.

I have to say it was a great workout!

When I mentioned deadlifts I meant the ones that really target your hamstrings also, they are a trouble spot for me also...need to get that nice curve in there. i was thinking 1 set warmup squats plus 1 working set then 1 set of deadlifts.

Then do the other deadlifts in place of squats other days.

Maybe I will post before and afters...AFTER I complete the cycle ha ha
biggrin.gif

Decided to wait a few weeks before i start as I have been training pretty hard and so will take SD first and then just lift twice a week fullbody before going into the cycle.

Really need the rest and to ease back into it all...

<div>
(style @ Aug. 25 2006,12:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ladies, do you feel that HST 3x a week is a more effective fat loss tool than 3x weekly sessions of cardio?

My friends mother is overweight and she has hired a personal trainer who has her doing all sorts of aerobic stuff, I advised her that she would lose more fat with a very simple compound HST routine, providied calories were the same.

What do you think?

C</div>
hst or infact most weight training routines dont hold a candle to cardio for fat loss,bad suggestion.sure you might lose some if you are way over weight as any physical exercise would accomplish this.

id suggest 3x a week (for a lady)hst with 1 effective set depending on how much muscle and intensity you want maybe 2 sets,then on the off days use an eliptical trainer/cross trainer for 30-45 mins at least 3x per week
this will do it just fine.

alternativley you could pick cardio for 6 months and come back to a weight program once the disired body fat has been reached. good luck.

my weight while weight training has mostly remained constant,but add cardio to the mix or indead seperatley(for cutting) and boom you have weight loss.nothing touches fat like a good diet and some cardio.but for the perposes of cutting and building id suggest having very short breaks between sets,as this can &quot;promote&quot; fat loss through increased igf-1 levels,elevated heart rate and motabolism.

The best situation would be to have both, but if you have to choose one resistance exercise will be far more beneficial to fatloss than aerobic exercise. There have been more than enough studies comparing the two which show resistance exercise to have a much greater effect on EPOC lasting for even up to two days, cardio doesnt have close to this effect. Lifting weights is obviously also far more beneficial to holding onto muscle mass which keeps resting metabolic rates higher.

Theres some information on it here:
http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/epoc.html

Lcars if your weight remained the same whilst weight training it was because you simply werent burning more calories than you were eating, adding cardio worked because you increased the amount of calories you burnt...cardio isnt a magical fatloss tool it just helps to increase energy expenditure just as weight lifting does..but high intensity weight lifting does it better.

Angel

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When I mentioned deadlifts I meant the ones that really target your hamstrings also, they are a trouble spot for me also...need to get that nice curve in there.</div>

You're talking about Stiff legged dead lifts, they work very well.

Yeah i like the stiff legged deadlift...when you get good form! I also like stepping onto a really high platform/ bench like i do it hits in much the same way.

I think that both weights and cardio play an integral part in any program so it definately should include both. Anyone who simply does cardio is losing an important part in changing their bodies.
Overweight or not!

<div>
(Angel Rising @ Aug. 29 2006,07:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah i like the stiff legged deadlift...when you get good form! I also like stepping onto a really high platform/ bench like i do it hits in much the same way.

I think that both weights and cardio play an integral part in any program so it definately should include both. Anyone who simply does cardio is losing an important part in changing their bodies.
Overweight or not!</div>
Angel,

Just a thought re the SLDLs: I performed these for a while trying to maximise the ROM I used as I thought it would give me the greatest benefit. I did as you say and stood on a bench so that my feet were forced to be close together. I was able to lower the bar to my feet this way which I thought was a good thing.

However, once the loads went above 225lbs or so I started to experience some pretty unpleasant pains in my hip joints. After several helpful suggestions from folks here I stopped doing SLDLs on a platform of any kind and began doing them standing on the floor. Allowing the weights to touch the floor reduced my ROM somewhat but within a couple of weeks of using this technique my hip pain went away.

Doing SLDLs this way means I can ensure that my lowerback remains tight throughout the whole movement.

I think you will find, if you do SLDLs on a platform, that at the deepest point your lowerback will have to lose some of its tightness. By keeping the movement to rotation around your hip joints only, you will give your hammies plenty of work to do whilst keeping your back tight and hence in a very strong position throughout the movement. This will allow you to lift more weight safely without compromising form.

So, if you are trying to hit your hammies optimally, don't think that you have to go as deep as possible when performing SLDLs. I think you will make better progress (and be able to increase your loads further) using a range of motion through which your lowerback can remain tight.

Sorry, i meant to say that i like doing step ups onto a really high bench. I don't do SLDL on a bench at all. But thanks for the tip.

I have to admit I feel like I keep going in circles at the moment. I really want to put on muscle but i also have some fat to lose.

i know it's been suggested that I eat 4 maintenance or maybe just over to gain muscle but i am worried i won't lose any fat or that i will even gain it. But on the flipside i don't want to eat into any muscle as i can't afford too.

Aargh! Sorry just had to say that.....

We guys face the exact same problem, altough maybe we don't care as much about body fat as women do.

Remember that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even at rest. So put on muscle first, and you will find you can lose weight easier. Its not impossible to put on muscle and lose fat by eating a lot of protein, and doing a lot of cardio.

Re: SLDL's - I like Romanian deadlifts to hit the hamstrings. They are easier on my lower back because you bend your knees.

Regarding losing fat &amp; gaining muscle - it's hard to know what eating at maintenance really is. I agree with the other poster - muscle first. It will make losing fat easier.

<div>
(dogmama @ Aug. 30 2006,06:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Re: SLDL's - I like Romanian deadlifts to hit the hamstrings.  They are easier on my lower back because you bend your knees.</div>
ah Dogmama, Romanian deadlifts are &quot;stiff-legged&quot; deadlifts, normal deadlifts are the ones where you bend your knees.

I would never recommend stiff-legged deadlifts to anyone, too risky for the lower back. Same with the good-morning exercise

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Aug. 30 2006,23:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would never recommend stiff-legged deadlifts to anyone, too risky for the lower back. Same with the good-morning exercise.</div>
Hey PP, why you say what you say? SLDLs and Good Mornings when performed correctly have a very positive effect on the strength of your lower back (amongst other things). As I pointed out in my previous post, form is very important. Get that right and SLDLs are a great addition to your arsenal of exercises.

Agreed when done correctly, but the risks if done incorrectly, or with too heavy a weight... I just wouldn't want to be the one who recommended them. Back extensions are safer imo because they carry no extra weight, just bodyweight, and can be done on a swiss ball or even on the ground.

Strengthening the lower back is more about posture, than about hypertrophy, and HST requires ever increasing weights. I just wouldn't recommend them.

Hmmm.... not sure I agree with you there PP. I actually find that normal deads stress my lowerback more than SLDLs due to the increased loading. So should I stop recommending those too?

I was very much under the impression that my lowerback strength was all about the hypertrophy of those particular muscles (spinal erectors etc.) along with neural learning to some degree. Yes, there is always some danger with any form of exercise but I feel very strongly that if you use good form then you have very little to worry about. With the above in mind, I can't see how SLDLs are any more 'dangerous' than normal deads or squats.

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Aug. 30 2006,15:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(dogmama @ Aug. 30 2006,06:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Re: SLDL's - I like Romanian deadlifts to hit the hamstrings.  They are easier on my lower back because you bend your knees.</div>
ah Dogmama, Romanian deadlifts are &quot;stiff-legged&quot; deadlifts, normal deadlifts are the ones where you bend your knees.

I would never recommend stiff-legged deadlifts to anyone, too risky for the lower back. Same with the good-morning exercise</div>
Nope. There is a difference between RDL's and SLDL's. Check it out here.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=250heavy2

I respect your position Lol, and I suppose that the erector spinae muscles can grow just like any other muscle, but so many people have lower back problems now days, I just think there's a difference between doing an exercise, and recommending them on the net without being there to properly instruct and correct techique.

Dogmama, can you explain the difference? The article didn't make it very clear, and the pictures don't show any difference...

Back