_tim's Log

Not sure what else to call it, Tot... Do the concentric portion of a chin, and on the eccentric portion of the movement stop half way, pause and go back up. Hence - a "bounce".

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 215

NG Chin: BW x 5
|
SA DB Row: 80 x 12
|
Pulldowns: 130 x 12
|
WG Cable Row: 65 x 40

The PD's were RP'd 9-3.

This was a "C" routine for my back. I only did one set each and though the rest periods between each were short, there should not have been rest periods at all. In general, I thought this approach made sense to challenge myself and get things moving again.

The squats felt solid - no lower back pain. I think that knee sleeves are a must in the near term to invest in, and likely a new belt too.

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 185

BB Curl: 85 x 5, 5
|
SA DB Curl: 35 x 12, 12
|
Cable Curl: 50 x 40, 40

Front Raise: 4 x 6 @ 75

DB Fly: 3 x 12 @ 25

Semi-Complex
RDL: 45 x 10; 95 x 4
|
Hang Clean: 45 x 10; 95 x 4
|
Standing Press: 45 x 10
|
Ab BB Rollout: 95 x 7

Grip was a major factor in the hang cleans.

In general, this was a fun one. It was Chest A; Biceps C; Shoulders B and conditioning.

Yesterday...

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 205

I backed off the load a bit and really focused on form. I had fronts on the schedule too and wanted to be very cautious of my back.

Skullz: 4 x 6 @ 95
I needed chalk badly for these and was too lazy to go get it.

Front Squats: 95 x 12; 2 x 12 @ 115
Kept things light and worked form. Showed me how much that the core is involved in the form of this lift.

Reverse Hypers: 3 x 12 @ 20
Figured a bit more work for my low back wouldn't hurt.

4/7/2015 Night

Pulldowns: 3 x 6 @ 145
|
Cable Rows: 3 x 6 @ 145

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 195; 135 x 8P

Machine Fly (Chest): 3 x 12 @ 110

The back superset was completely due to two things - time and the fact that I'm looking at a minimum of about 6 days off due to schedule so a bit of overload seemed like a good idea. The time aspect - it was after 9:00 at night and I was not super psyched about working out until 10:00. The bench work felt more solid than it has in a while, and that was nice.

Last thing - I know there are a ton of folks here who despise iso work. I gotta say - the DOMS in my arms are amazing. I haven't felt this in years, and that alone is quite nice. Aside from that, the benefit that I'm seeing in my core lifts suggests that the extra attention is helping there too.

Skullz: 4 x 6 @ 95
|
SA DB Row: 4 x 6 @ 90

Pulldowns: 2 x 12 @ 125, 125 x 10; 110 x 4
|
Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 145

Fun little sort-of complimentary supersets to get the blood moving. The pulldowns were heavily RP'd - set two was 9-3 and set three was 6-2-2. The challenge was intended, so I didn't mind the need for the RP segments (which never went beyond 5 breaths).

Good to be back.

Hi again.

Deads: 4 x 6 @ 225

BB Curls: 4 x 6 @ 85?

So. I've once again been away, this time due to a bout with bronchitis. Doc actually told me to rest, so I listened. Today's session was to e two B's but it turned into two A's due to time primarily and the very untrained lumbar region I currently have. I'm not risking another 6 weeks away for anything. The curl form was changed too based on an article I read on constant tension. Big difference!

Fingers crossed that this was not my sole trip to the gym this week...

4/29/2015 late

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 185

Skullz: 4 x 6 @ 85?
|
SA DB Row: 85 x 6; 3 x 6 @ 90

Pulldowns: 110 x 12; 2 x 12 @ 125
|
Rope Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 125

The last set of PD's was RP'd 7-5 and the last set of extensions was RP'd 9-3.

4/30/2015 late - strict form everywhere

Paused Bench: 4 x 6 @ 175

BB Front Raise: 4 x 6 @ 65

BB Curl: 4 x 6 @ 75

Last set RP'd 4-2.

DB Lateral Raise: 3 x 12 @ 25
Last set RP'd 8-4.

DB Curl: 3 x 12 @ 35

First time in a while that I was still feeling the workout about an hour later.

5/1/2015

Squats: 4 x 6 @225

Heavy focus on form - raw.

Bench Abs: 2 x 10 @ 135
I again counted the reps as 1 rep = 3 movements.

Rollout: 2 x 10
Second set was RP'd 7-3.

K2C: 2 x 20

Front Squats: 45 x 12; 2 x 12 @ 95

More form work. My flexibility is something that really needs work.

Reverse Hypers: 2 x 15 @ 20

Good One...

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 205

Incline Bench: 3 x 12 @ 135

Last set was RP'd 8-3-1.

Pullups BW x 5
|
SA DB Rows: 75 x 12
|
NG Pulldown: 130 x 12
|
OHG Cable Row: 111.5 x 7

One round was all I had in me today for a back C. At that, I likely went way too heavy for the last two lifts as the PD's were RP'd 8-4 and the Cable Rows, for the first time, were actually done properly - slow for both eccentric and concentric movements, with no break between reps. I've been lax in the last of the C's and should have known that the load for this was much too high. I think I got the desired oomph for my lats, but my next go-round with a Back C will be done bearing the above lessons.

Long Rope Conditioning: Short Waves + 4 Slams; Short Waves + 3 Slams
These are new to the gym and are amazing conditioning tools. I googled some variations to play with and after the upper body blitz today, two rounds was plenty to finish things off.

Quick Lunchtime Fun

BB Curls: 4 x 6 @ 85

BB Front Raise: 2 x 5 @ 75
|
SA Cable Reverse Fly: 2 x 12 @ 30
|
Machine Chicken Wing Raises: 2 x 40 @ 20

No, the damn lift is not called a "Chicken Wing Raise", but calling it a "Lateral Raise" conflicts with how I've been doing the DB version. This was the first successfully completed C routine without RP'ing, and it's ironic to me that it happened for delts given how weak they are for me.

SA DB Seated Curls: 3 x 12 @ 40

Medicine Ball Exchangers: 10 x 10

My abs are still sore from the last ab work I did. That is insane to me.

In general, this go-round with ABC is finally doing what I was hoping it would do: it's giving the attention to smaller muscles that I need for my bigger compounds. I know that most iso work is looked at with an air of negativity, but I've proven that for me, just doing heavy compounds doesn't work well for the whole year. A good friend used to flip to SST in the winter, but all the other months he lived in BB land. This is a thought I'm giving some serious credence to.

Breath-Stealing Quad Death

Rope Pushdowns: 4 x 6 @ 110

Light, not intended to be intense or anything close. Stretching was integrated between sets.

Squats: 2 x 5 @ 245
|
Bulgarian Split Squats: 2 x 12 @ BW
|
BW Squats 2 x 40

A dreaded Leg C routine. The squats were done raw, and the BSSs were so taxing on my warm up that I kept things at BW only. The BW Squats were torture. This was fun in the not so fun sense.

Battle Ropes: Short Waves: 20 count + slam; 15 count + slam; 5 count + slam
The "count" here was time, not repetition and the cadence was as fast as I could move the ropes. I figured that I was out of breath, so why not make it worse? The naming change is in concert with the vid I watched; apologies if my last post in this regard led anyone astray.

Reverse Roman Chair Raises: 2 x 12 @ BW
Reverse Hyper machine was without a strap for some reason and thus unusable.

Good week. Cannot wait for the DOMS in me quads... (Irish accent and inflections intended)

Finally found a gap in my schedule...

BB Curls: 4 x 6 @ 95

Last set was RP'd 5-1. I knew this would be a challenge, and did not think I'd get through three complete sets before RP'ing. The main reason for the RP was grip fatigue, not bicep fatigue. I was more than a little happy about that.

Hang K2C: 12, 12
I did these after curl sets 1 and 3. This was a poor excuse for Ab work, but I was on the clock and it took back seat today.

Bench: 2 x 5 @ 215
|
Incline Bench: 2 x 12 @ 135
|
Machine Fly: 50, 55 x 40

The second set of the Inclines were RP'd 7-3-2. Overall, I'm very happy with this. My bench load was heavier than anything I've done in a while, aside from doubles work, and the sets were solid. The fly sets may have been a bit light, but the pump was amazing. I'm giving myself a pass on the inclines simply because they haven't been a big part of my repertoire. I'm finding I love the movement, and plan on keeping this in as a big part of my chest work.

Seated DB Curl: 45 x 12, 6

Cable Curl: 90 x 18

My form in my second set of DB work was pretty bad, so I flipped to the cable and did one big set to complete the rep count.

Battle Rope - counted short waves: 15, 15, 10 + 3 slams
Explanation: the count here was a slow timed count, not a rep count. I'd hoped to get 3 x 15, but I didn't have it in me, so the slams were as much a way to end the session as they were an expression of frustration.

Pulldowns: 4 x 6 @ 125

Cable Row: 4 x 6 @ 130

Skullz: 4 x 6 @ 105

Rope PD: 3 x 12 @ 110

Last set was RP'd 10-2.

So I am switching things up a little bit. Today was Back A and Tricep B. For both Back A & B I am increasing the scope to account for both vertical and horizontal pulling movements for the intended rep ranges. A's are med-light 4 x 6 sets - hence the pair of back 4 x 6's.

For the heavy-ish Skullz, I weighed the bar and ensured that what I was moving was what I thought load-wise. A buddy in the gym said that some of the E-Z Curl bars were 20's and there even is a 15 floating around. The one I used was 25 pounds, and the grip was wider for a much more natural movement.

5/19/2015 Late

Deads: 4 x 6 @ 225

Thick bar - wanted grip to be a challenge last night. Focused on form like a fiend; abs were mighty taxed.

SA DB Lateral Raise: 4 x 6 @ 30
I use @Lol standards for these - pour the bottle out. I love the deltoid progress thus far.

NG Pullups: 4 x 6 @ BW
Last two sets were RP'd 5-1 and 4-2 respectively. My this was a surprise; last time I tried to do do these I managed a single set of 3. Getting two complete sets with good form (from hang) was not expected.

SA DB Row: 2 x 6 @ 85
My warm up sets were insanely hard, and that was telling. I went to form breakdown of any kind, and that was set 2.

Pulldowns: 130 x 12
|
WG Cable Row: 145 x 6, 130 x 6

By this point, I was spent. Grip was cooked, biceps and lats were fatigued.

This was my re-do experiment on the adjustment for back. Lesson learned: I need to ease into the volume. The pullup sets set the tone and none of the other lat lifts matched. I'll reduce volume across the board and will add it back as needed.

Bench: 2 x 6 @ 225; 2 x 6 @ 205
The second set at 225 was clustered 4-1-1. I am beyond happy that I got one solid set at 225. I've not been that heavy for 6's in a very long time, and though it was just one set, I have proof that my performance in this lift is very much improving.

Chest Rapers: 135 x 12, 10
I'm not sure where @mikeynov has gone, but I give him credit for this. Essentially, this was the same idea of Leg Rapers. Insane pump, and a great challenge.

Rollout: 10, 10

Hang K2C: 10; K2C: 10

Plank: 1 x (time?)

All in all, I'm very happy with this.

5/26/2015

Deads: 225 x 6; 3 x 6 @ 245

I'm being insanely cautious with loading here. I've never really progressed smartly from a form perspective, and I'm very aware of that.

Skullz: 2 x 5 @ 115
|
Dips: BW x 12, BW x 5, BW x 7
|
Cable Tricep Extension: 2 x 40 @ 30

I got one giant set in, but the second was very fragmented. My second set of dips was RP'd 2-3, and my fatigue was such that I went back to the skullz bar and tore it down before going back to the dip bar. The extension sets were RP'd like crazy - 1-2 breaths between when I stalled. Got all reps.

Leg Rapers: 2 x 12 @ 135
I was out of time and was very fatigued. These were supposed to be squat sets, but I didn't have the energy for them.

5/27/2015

Front Raise: 4 x 6 @ 75

SA Cable Lateral Raise: 3 x 12 @ 37.5

Pullups: BW x 5; NG Chins x 5
|
DB Row: 2 x 12 @ 75
|
Face Pulls: 2 x 40 @ 50

This was a bit of an experiment. I've been mostly focusing on lat development for back work, and though that is important, it's not the only part of the back that needs attention. I read an article that laid out this pattern as a "complete, balanced" back workout, and it fit into the C template nicely.

Plank: 2 (30, 20 count holds)
|
Russian Twist: 6 x 30, 15

Back