_tim's Log

Deads: 4 x 6 @ 245
Raw, with the exception of chalk used in set 4. In general, the reps felt good with form under good control.

Squats: 135, 155, 175 x 12
Kept things very light here to keep stress largely off of my lumbar spine as I squat beltless as well. Regardless, I was huffing and puffing by the end of the 175 set. Knee sleeves are in my near future; it's time.

Dips: BW x 12
|
Cable Tricep Extension: 50 x 40

Two RPs in the extension set - rep 22 and 32, respectively, with both being 3 breath pauses. My energy and time were spent by this point, so I figured a simple tricep overload would work in place of the normal C cadence.

Good one...

Front Raise: 4 x 6 @ 85

Better control today across each of the sets. If the OHP work done earlier in the week is any indication, this deltoid cadence has done good things in ABC world.

SA Bent Cable Lateral Raise: 2 x 12 @ 40

WG Pulldown: 2 x 5 @ 165
|
SG Pulldown: 2 x 12 @ 130
|
Cable Row: 2 x 40 @ 65

Only RPs happened in the second row set; one at rep 15, and another at rep 26. Each were 3 breaths. Grip and overall fatigue were the reasons for the RPs; back was burning like crazy, but the lactic acid release wasn't as intense during the 40's as it was immediately after. Stretching was my friend today.

A conundrum of sorts arises...

BB Curl: 105? x 5; 95? x 5

then....

Cable Curl: 2 x 12 @ 90?

Something is very off here. One of the loads can't possibly be right. Next week, I'm going to weigh the barbells I use to validate the loads.

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 225
Last two sets were RP'd 5-1 each. I didn't have a spotter and this was a reach volume-wise. Regardless, I'm the furthest thing from disappointed.

Incline Bench: 165 x 12, 6
Both sets were RP'd. 10-2 and 4-2 respectively.

Battle Rope Work
2 sets, hard to quantify.

Nice to end the workout week on a good note.

Partial Success..

Deads: 2 x 5 @ 265
|
Squats: 195 x 12
|
GM: 45 x 40

I got through one complete round. I actually unracked the bar for my second squat set and could hardly stand. I was so out of breath after the GM set that I had to sit down. This was a fitness test greater than anything I have done in the past several months. Regardless, my form felt clean for all of the work sets.

I stretched more after this than I have probably for a couple years. Yay Monday!

Last workout of 38!

Rope Triceps Extension 4 x 6 @ 110

Front Raise: 2 x 5 @ 95
|
DB Lateral Raise: 2 x 12 @ 25
|
Machine Rear Delt Fly: 2 x 40 @ 70

The second set of DB work had several pauses, but I never put the weights down. The 40's had 4 & 3 RP's respectively, each no more than 2 breaths each.

A test and a conclusion...
BB Curl: 2 x 6 @ 95

SA DB Curl: 3 x 12 @ 45

Second set was RP'd 8-4 with 5 breaths, and 7-2-3 with at least 10 breaths between 7 and 2 and 5 breaths between 5 and 2.

WG Cable Curl: 90, 105 x 6

The conclusion - my small head is a ton weaker than my long head, and my hand position was the sole driver of the issue, despite it being a minimal change. Loads were confirmed.

This was my last workout at 38 years old. Pretty happy with where I'm at as I nudge closer to 40 tomorrow.

Last day of microcyle...
Bench: 235 x 5, 4
|
Incline Bench: 165 x 12, 5
|
Machine Fly: 90 x 40, 26

The second bench set was spotter assisted for the last rep almost entirely. This was the first chest C workout in a long time, and the first one that had the 40's set inline with the others. After the first round, I was cooked. The incline sets were RP'd 9-3 and 4-1, and the fly sets were RP'd 20-10-10, 18-4-4 respectively. This was all I had time for today, and it was brutal as is.

I have one more month in ABC world before changing to triples until January. I'm going to make a couple tweaks based on observations from this round so that the pattern is whole and functions as it should when I fire it up again.

9/1/12015

Cable Triceps Extensions: 4 x 6 @ 100

WG Pullups: BW x 6, 3+, 2+
|
Dips: 3 x 12 @ BW

NG Pullups: BW x 3

BW at workout time was 227. In general, the PU work was nothing but a test. I'm going to do much more non-pulldown work as the rest of this year goes and I wanted to see where things stood.

9/2/2015

Boxing

I'm going to infuse these boxing workouts (heavy bag, class-led) 1-2 times a week most likely. The conditioning aspect of my fitness is pathetic, and one go-round last night proved that. Only bad - I had a guy wrap my hands and he did it too loosely. So - my right wrist is complaining today and that likely means no workout today.

Wrist is finally feeling better - so....

Bench: 235 x 4; 2 x 6, 1 x 5 @ 225
Took me a bit to get warmed up. My second set at 225 felt the strongest.

Incline Bench: 155 x 12, 7
RPs: 9-3, 6-1. 5 breaths each.

WG Cable Curl: 90, 110, 125 x 12
125 set RP'd 6-4.

Good to lift again.

Boxing
Very cardio intensive today. Great test of cardio fitness that I cannot say that I passed.

Barnburner of a day...

Boxing

Look at this as 1 hour of HIIT whenever I post it. One of the coaches pointed that out that the session is essentially long HIIT segments.

Then....

Deadlift: 6 x 3 @ 265
Raw - socks only. Felt great form-wise.

Vanity...
Rope Triceps Extension/Cable Curl: 97.5; 125; 137.5 x 10

Great workout day.

16 days early.

Bench: 5 x 3 @ 225

Incline Bench: 5 x 3 @ 178

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 225
|
WG Cable Pulldown: 2 x 12 @ 130

SG Cable Pulldown: 150 x 12

So.... The change to strength has begun, with a bit of a twist. I'm shooting for a 3/2 split each week, with 3 workouts and 2 boxing sessions. So, the strength workouts are going to loosely follow Russ' triples template, but with some liberties. The 10 triple sets to kick things off can be split between common/related lifts. Plus, all rep ranges are extendable. The base volume will always be 10 x3; 4 x 6; 2 x 12. The 178 is an odd load; I weighed the bar and it was 48 pounds exactly. Hence the 3 pound oddity. Wrist straps were used on the bench sets and everything else was raw.

We'll see how this goes.

Boxing
Fun stuff - seeing improvements in technique and that's making the workouts much, much more intense.

(Standing) OHP: 10 x 3 @ 125
I know this is nothing to sneeze at load-wise, but it's the highest starting load ever for this lift. I maintained a shoulder-width hand position for the first five sets, and varied the last five. No RPs.

SA DB Row: 4 x 6 @ 85
This load was light intentionally. I focused on form 100% and made sure it was a decent starting load. Happy here.

Deads: 2 x 12 @ 205
Again - underwhelming load-wise, but intentionally so. I haven't done high-rep deads in a long time. These two sets were tests; I was soaking wet with sweat at the end.

So far so good in the new cadence.

WG Pullups: 5 x 3 @ BW
Chins: 5 x 3 @ BW

This was an intended split; the reps across every set were from a hang and form felt good. BW stands at 227 lbs.

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 205
This seemed like a logical starting point for the 6's.

Squats: 135, 185 x 12
Quads were very fatigued; this was never going to be loads that were notable.

Assistance/Finishing/Vanity
Cable Triceps Extension: 110 x 15; 125 x 15; 145 x 12; 165 x 10
|
Cable Curls: 110 x 15; 125 x 10; 145 x 6; 165 x 3

Next week I'm out of town for work, but the hotel I'm staying at has a gym. Looks like it is equipped enough that I can get something done, so we'll see. I'm figuring on lots of volume.

Pullups: BW x 5, 5, 3

NG Chin: BW x 5, 5, 4

I alternated sets between both lifts. RPs: Pullups set 2 & 3, 4-1 and 2-1 respectively; Chins: set 2 & 3, 4-1 and 3-1-x respectively.

SA Kroc Rows: 70 x 25
Left arm was RP'd 21-4 due largely to grip fatigue.

SA DB Rows: 85 x 5
Same theme - left was RP'd 4-1.

Supinated Grip Pulldowns: 125 x 10; 130 x 10
|
Cable Row: 130 x 10; 130 x 2, 110 x 8
|
Back Extension: BW x 15, 10

The first set of rows was RP'd 6-4. I was looking for a nice finish for the session, and this fit the bill.

I've been travelling a large portion of the last 7 weeks. As such, I've done a bunch of hotel gym volume work as the DB's there go up to 50 pounds. The same is true for next week and part of this one; come Thursday, I am out of pocket again until the week of November 9th. This is essentially why I am doing things as I am this week; I'm targeting body parts using an unsustainable model of overloading. So - strength work will be in chunks moving forward. I think that I'm going to move back to an adaptive model as a result, given the amount of travel I'm doing.

Hope y'all are well.

Late 10/27/2015

Bench: 4 x 5, 1 x 2 @ 225

On the last set, I set up too far on the bench and hit the pins on the first rep. I re-racked, reset and only had enough in me for one more rep.

Incline Bench: 155 x 8, 5
|
Dips: BW x 8, 2

The second set of inclines was RP'd 4-1. Triceps were cooked but good.

Cable 21's: 125 x 7/7/7
Little bit more bicep punishment; set up was wide grip.

Squats: 2 x 5 @ 275
First time using knee sleeves; felt good. Still no belt; not there yet.

Bulgarian Split Squats: 2 x 10 @ 50 (2 25lb DBs)
Low on time today, so I finished off with these. Good test of cardiovascular fitness!

@_tim,

Is there any particular reason you have started using sleeves (rather than wraps), the reason I ask is that I will be starting to use either sleeves or wraps but cannot decide on which yet, I like the sleeve option for convenience but think I may go for wraps as at the moment I am squatting daily up to 95% or more of current 1rm

Back