A few queries I have...

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by SameOldSameOld, Jul 12, 2007.

1. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

This has nothing to do with what I wrote. See the warming up quote.

Adequately spaced warm-up sets up to 90% increase your potential to lift more weight.

I can't seem to find the source of the figures right now, but you and your ass may want to take a look at this article.

This phenomenal strength shown at times of stress or risk to life is irrelevant, and it doesn't mean folks showing it don't undergo any risk of breaking or tearing something. Probably golgi tendon organs suppress themselves temporarily.

The quoted passage of not paying much attention to volume was probably from the time when Bryan based his theories on older research involving untrained subjects. Quoting the man:
    http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?18580-Strategic-Deconditioning&p=92250#post92250

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

I'm sure you do realize that 2 minutes is volume, much greater than one or two sets of 5's?

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not really ... a set of 5's takes what, 10-30 seconds, depending on the exercise and form? 2 sets 40 seconds. And I'm guestimating how long it took to carry a fridge-freezer combo up 10 stairs. Maybe it took 60 seconds, maybe it took 90, maybe 180.

You're still making the mistake of confusing volume's relevance instead of focusing on the relevance of load. If I had asked Bryan about carrying a new Playstation around for 35 minutes whilst shopping or something, do you think he would have recommended I SD right away ... ? Of course not. Load, load, load. Volume is ALWAYS a secondary calculation based on the load.

The relevant stimulus for hypertrophy is load. It has always been load, it will continue to be load. Volume merely function to consolidate the effect of load. It's still important, but it should always be a secondary consideration to load - assuming getting bigger is what you are interested in. For endurance ala military style training, professional sports training ala AFL, NBA, Rugby, long distance swimming etc, you want to train with higher volume because that is the nature of the task at hand.

Golgi tendon organs do not suppress themselves ... what happens in fight or flight situations (which is the definition of a car trapping a person etc) is simply an uninhibited neural pathway from the brain to the relevant musculature. Adrenaline also plays a role. 2nd year neuroscience subjects will cover this in depth, it's just the sympathetic nervous system taking over. Similar scenarios would include 'running for your life' in literal and untrained sense (the unfortunate aspect of military training is that moderates the strength of this neuro-reflex in the people who need it most; soldiers ... /tangent), spontaneous danger ala bar fight, street fight etc.

It's merely the sympathetic nervous system taking over. The relevance here is that it validates the assertion that most trainees impair themselves, almost certainly psychologically from lifting at their relevant capability (no, this doesn't refer to 1RM // upper strength only).

Any meditation expert or psychology coach worth their salt would be able to assist you in working through your mental barriers. Amusingly, I wonder if your (misguided) fanaticism towards volume-centric philosophy won't accidentally do the same thing, which would unfortunately reinforce the philosophy :/ ... time will tell, perhaps.

4. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Of course not. And nothing I said implied that it would. Combination of load+volume matters.

It still seems incorrect to assume that only load is important as long as hypertrophy is concerned, and volume can be very limited. There's this minimum amount of work that needs to be done for any measurable effects. And that changes over time depending on how conditioned muscles are. See Bryan's post I linked to in my previous reply to Totentanz.

I was simply quoting an explanation that I cannot link to right now. You may as well be right, but this isn't important as we generally can't willingly control ourselves to get into that "no-brakes" state and lift more.

Please don't get that weird idea cemented that I'm only after volume. In a nutshell, all I said was to try and shoot for 3x5/3' RM and let that volume decide when to add more weight. All in all, it is load progression: I always add load first, and then wait till I can do 3x5/3'. If absolute load keeps growing over time, then I'll still be following principles.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Volume is only ever a function of load. Your incrementation should be designed and applied in this fashion.

As relative load increases, volume should decrease. And load should always be increased in a progressive fashion (for anyone wanting to get bigger).

By the way, 'absolute load' doesn't mean total work done//total tonnage moved. Absolute load means the mass in terms of kg, and not as an expression of your strength - ala % of 1RM.

6. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

I'm decreasing volume from 20-40 total reps per MG during 10s to 15-30 reps during 5's

Sure. Exactly what I meant. If the absolute load (the weight I'm working with) grows over time doing 3x5/3', all is cool.