A New Idea About Hst?

I have no idea. I eat the regular diet with a lot of protein (I'm not thin, so I don't starve myself).
But it should not really matter if my goal is to get stronger since strength is a
neurological adaptation that does not require you to eat more.

Millions of people get stronger without forcing themselves to eat more.

Even when I train with the Captains of Crush grippers, I don't get any stronger although they
say it's very easy to get stronger using them.

Last edited:
You do have to eat more to gain strength. Being on a diet and being on a surplus is a difference of 10kg on my 5 rep bench press for example. There is an immediate difference.

I also don't think you fully understand hst. You should go back to the main website and read it several times until you get a proper grasp of the principals

If strength is a question about neurological adaptation, then why would I have to eat more...?

I understand HST perfectly, but I've noticed some here don't. For example you don't have to "give
your all"/"do as many reps as possible" while in the different rep ranges. You do 10 reps for 6
sessions, although you can do more on the first 5 sessions.

If strength is a question about neurological adaptation, then why would I have to eat more...?

You are aware that this is a hypertrophy based programme and while you will get stronger it is not a 'strength' programme and therefore strength increases will be less than that achieved following a strength programme, if strength is what you are after then you should be looking at strength based programmes. If it is hypertrophy you are after then this is ideal but to build muscle you will need to be in caloric surplus unless you are a complete newbie, which based on your direct message to me you are not.

I understand HST perfectly, but I've noticed some here don't. For example you don't have to "give
your all"/"do as many reps as possible" while in the different rep ranges. You do 10 reps for 6 sessions, although you can do more on the first 5 sessions.

Why not post your intended routine including how you want to set up the progression for each rep block with number of sets and reps etc as I am still a little confused by what you originally proposed, which was just doing 1 rep at significantly lower than your 1 rep max (you confirmed on post #5 that you would be doing 1 rep at 40 kgs where 60 kgs is your 1rm) which in my opinion will not work!!

Last edited:
If you understood how HST works you wouldn't be asking if you could just do 1 rep at sub maximal weights

Regardless of what rep range you are using, you will still need to do enough volume to trigger significant muscle growth. Just doing 1 rep of an exercise isn't going to give you enough volume.

Now, if you were to rest between reps and do maybe 15 reps total with that load, then you would probably get enough volume in. However, working with such heavy loads consistently can lead to problems.

I'm at the end of this block, and am resting for one week.
After that I will start another block and see if I can raise
the weights.

If it doesn't work, I'll try a more regular HST routine.

Thank you.

I'm at the end of this block, and am resting for one week.
After that I will start another block and see if I can raise
the weights.

If it doesn't work, I'll try a more regular HST routine.

Thank you.
How will you know if your system is working over such a short period of time, you need to stick with any system you use for at least 6 months before assessing success.

I had a guy that thought his strength wasn't increasing at all. Finally, we did a workout together where I was able to watch him. He was holding back too much. Maybe he was scared to push harder or just didn't know how. Anyway, with me there to push him, he added 50 lbs to his bench and squat. Turned out he was getting stronger.

Could be your problem, or you aren't eating. Of course, prior to all this, he wasn't getting much stronger at all, but he was also changing programs every fifteen minutes or so.

I'd guess you should be able to add 2.5kg to your max in 8 weeks even with just doing a single rep per workout. I'd also imagine you could probably put on 10kg on your max if you trained properly but whatevs.

Back