A question I've always wanted to know

Here is a question to get things back on track:

"What are free form amino acids able to do that a complete protein is unable to do?"

There could be lots of answers to this question, depending on the aminoacid, etc. The vast majority of specific free-form aminoacid actions would be related to intestinal absorption and its mechanism, since in the portal circulation we can find only free amino acids (unless you are a baby < 48h and other special cases). For example, local consumption of glutamine etc. Other interesting actions might occur by taking a great dose of a specific amino acid, a dose that would be difficult to obtain with food (for example, 10gr of carnitine, if we include it in amino acids). And everything would have to do with the four basic amino acid transport systems of the intestines etc... lengthy subject...

Ok, lets narrow it down to muscle growth then.

Question #2
Does the ingestion of free form amino acids lead to greater increases in protein synthesis than whole proteins (i.e. complete amino acid profile)?

From everything that Tipton has published, and what he has quoted in several discussions. He cant see a difference between whey and free form EAA, its just you need more time (and not a lot more) to see the rise in plasma amino acids/protein synthesis.

Me, lyle and others already have had a large 'discussion' about this over at Avant :)
it was fun

If we're talking about giving a certain protein vs its exact profile as free-form aminos, I wouldn't expect any difference.

Ok, if there wouldn't theoretically be any difference (aside from the impact of fast vs. slow absorption) what would be the criteria for a person to decide whether to not to pay double the price for individual amino acids?

Back