Alternative to PWO Shake

david_diesel

I recently got over a stomach infection that lasted close to a week and my doc has advised me to cool it with the shakes for a bit. I've always suspected that I'm allergic or intolerant of whey as shakes have always bloated me and quite often give me that full feeling.

I need to come up with an alternative to my PWO shake which usually consists of 50g whey 50g dextrose and 50g maltodextrin. I was thinking of just having some chicken breat with some dextrose-spiked kool aid, but what about the maltodextrin. Would another type of slow carb like beans work? Or maybe since malto is just corn starch, would corn work?

This sux but for now it's what I need to do. Ideas or similar stories are welcome. Help a brutha' out
biggrin.gif

Hi David,

Firstly, there's so many different types of protein powders available nowadays - the usual milk and egg powder, hemp protein, soya protein, pea protein, brown rice protein... and god knows what else
Got to be something there you can try?

For carbs, the old standby was always a couple of bananas. Plenty of carbs in that?
Fine blended Oats seem to be quite popular too?

All worth a try, but what works for some, might not be so good for others?

I'm currently on a no-carb diet, so my PWO shake is just whey isolate, BCAA and glutamine peptides, but I always used to use either a standard brand recovery drink (mainly whey iso and maltodex mix) or whey iso and bananas....

I used to eat about 10 bananas a day... but thats me!
(Miss that now I'm on this 'new fangled' ketogenic plan!)

Good luck

Brix

Don't forget the reason for using shakes. If you're eating enough proteins, you merely need the carbs for energy - some eat fruit before working out and fruit for recovery. Question is, is it the whey that is the problem or what? I can't imagine the sugars being the problem.

Guys
I appreciate your responses.
Brix...I've given thought to maybe trying an egg protein. I looked at TrueProtein.com the other day and was floored by all the new types of protein out there. I'm going to try and use an isolate and only drink the shakes on the three days that I lift during the week. I'm hoping I can tolerate that. Good luck on the Keto diet. I did that diet as my very first diet back in 2001. It was brutal and I got tired of pissin' on a stick after 6 weeks. But I sure dropped bodyfat quick.

Quad...I dont know for a fact that it's the shakes...although I always feel extremely bloated in the gut after I drink them. I can only speculate. I'm wondering if it's the lactose since after eating cottage cheese I get the same feeling. I don't think it's the sugars.

David, you should try to isolate the problem. If it is lactose intolerance I might be completely wrong but lactose is a carb present in milk, if you have pure whey protein there should be no lactose. Are you having your shake with water or milk? If it IS the whey, as Brix mentioned there are options like Albumin, the egg white protein. You could also get a egg white omelet but then the powder is way more practical. In my experience albumin is much harder to mix and has a strange eggy taste (wonder why).
Before discarding this you could try some tests to determine what's going on. Have a pure whey + water shake and see if that gets you bloated. Try pure water + dex and a water + malto shakes and see what happens. Get a different protein powder like albumin and try again.
And in any case apart from post workout try to get the rest of your protein for the day from whole food.

Thanks for the input Electric. I've been using IsoPure Lo-Carb protein with water for years as my PWO shake. I'm determined to make this work one way or another. I've done a lot of reading up on the topic and the consensus seems to be that a shake is the most efficient way to get protein absorbed PWO. I've already resorted to giving up the shakes outside of PWO. If I can swig three of those a week hopefully I'll be in good shape.

I usually have a gut of iron but I'm tellin you fellas, last week I literally thought I was going to pass my gut thru my backside. The lower abdominal cramping was severe. Now granted this was due to a GI infection but still my position for the days of that sickness was such that I swore off anything that has caused my gut irritation in the past. Perhaps I'm being too hasty in that decision and I need to experiment more. I've thought about using the Isopure bottles too. That stuff is clear and already mixed and has more of a water consistency than the grainy/clumpiness of powder in water.

I begin HST again on Monday so I'll see what happens then.

With the plethora of new combinations, marketing hype, processing and so forth, we often forget where we originated. I've watched things like "pumping Iron" and other videos on the old timers, read a lot about Sandow and his followers.
Remember the "muscle beach" movies and all the Venice bodybuilding movement of the '60's? Those guys would live on eggs and milk a lot and even stop a workout to go out and eat, then returning to finish the workouts. And they made muscle before the new compounds, before juice was really taking off, before shakes were actually palatable, since they tasted like chalk.
End rant.
biggrin.gif

"AB"solutely! I mean, without drugs, it's all about going up to your genetic limits of nutrition, training time and style, and rest. I've always said that guys who look like that are probably naturals, but if a guy is freaky, is juicing.
But as you can see, very nearly freaky bods can be built naturally. I do wonder what some of those guys looked like off-season. I'll have to subscribe and look for some pics.

How do you prepare your shakes? I found that doing mine in my brand new blender was making me really bloated suddenly. Once I started making them with a spoon instead, it went away. Seems my blender was putting too much air into the shake or something.

Yeah, I found that if I let my shake stand for about 5 mins a lot of the air comes out. Also, for my pre w/o drink I don't bother with a blender or a shaker anymore. I just use a small amount of neat fruit juice and use a spoon to mix in around 30g whey powder. It turns into a thickish paste but it pours ok so it's downable. No bloated feeling at all from that.

I simply add water and stir with a spoon. I've gone the blender route before ad all it did was add air.

Lol...not a bad idea with the paste. I'll let you all know on Monday what happens

<div>
(quadancer @ Aug. 15 2009,8:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thot we quit eating paste back when we were kids...
rock.gif
</div>
old habits die hard ;-P

You might do well lowering the levels a bit and just having another shake later. That would reduce the strain on the GI. e.g. 20 grams protein + 50 grams carbs.

Back