Any science behind 50/50 dextrose/malto?

kynn

I've come across a few times the recommendation of a 50/50 (or 40/60) mix of dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin for the carbs in a post-workout shake. Is there any scientific basis for this recommendation, or is it an bodybuilding old-wives tale?
kynn
P.S. I understand why maltodextrin is recommended for workout shakes; it's the mixing it with an equal part of dextrose that I don't understand.

I have never seen any research on this. I wouldn't think that it would make any difference at all because dextrose and maltodextrin are very similar structurally.

There has been some controversy about which type of carbohydrate is best for the replenishing carbs. Some argue that simple sugars such as dextrose are best. Others say that drinks with glucose polymers are best. Still others say that there is no need to buy fancy sports drinks and that simply eating a meal high in carbohydrates such as pasta or rice is sufficient. Studies have shown that during the first several hours immediately after exercise, a high glycemic index carbohydrate such as glucose or a glucose polymer is best. (1,2)

However, studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten after the first 24 hours on the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (3). Even when the post exercise meal contains other macronutrients such as proteins and fats, the rate of glycogen replenishment is not hindered, given there is sufficient carbohydrate in the meal as well. These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24-hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important.

References:
1. Burke, LM, Collier GR, and Hargreaves M. Muscle glycogen storage after prolonged exercise: effect of the glycemic index of carbohydrate feedings. Journal of Applied Physiology 75: 1019-1023, 1993

2. Bowtell JL, Gelly K, Jackman ML, Patel A, Simeoni M, Rennie MJ. Effect of different carbohydrate drinks on whole body carbohydrate storage after exhaustive exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2000 May;88(5):1529-36.

3. Burke LM. Nutrition for post-exercise recovery. Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. Mar;29(1):3-10, 1997

Bryan, you are DA MAN!!!
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
That last post is a gem. Thank you!

Back