Back to Basics

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Totentanz, Aug 17, 2012.

1. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

OK found some of your logs, I can't find one way back like when you went from 140lbs on up, is there one? If not, how did you train during that period?

2. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

I did just basic HST for a long time. Pretty sure I used the Bryan cookie cutter routine for my first few cycles and followed the eating for size article for diet. Then did 5x5 for a while, then other HST variants like DC.
    But always followed HST principles no matter what I was doing. I do firmly believe that HST principles are the framework one should always follow. Though I don't SD after every cycle.

My weight is a bit misleading due to my bone density thing, (which lifting has only served to exacerbate that issue) so I weigh more than a similarly sized person.

Re: overhead press and lateral raises - is that a lot of weight? Seems like overhead press loads should at least start to approach bench press loads, I'm not quite there yet.
    Admittedly, I do use versa gripps when I do the lateral raises because sometimes the grip starts to give out.

3. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

oh wow so you did basic 3x a week HST for a few cycles at first? How much did you gain during that time? (sorry sparked my curiosity big time on this).

OK cool, so always the loading like HST (hst principles)?

Man but still you added 113 lbs???????????????? egads!

250 OHP is that a lot? A little bit!! usually OHP is some percentage of bench for most, not that close, dang. Do you have a letter S on your chest like superman? lol dang amazing.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

DB between the feet/ankle, or load up a backpack with plates - belt replacement.

_Simon_ likes this.
  5. Totentanz

Today:

Squat - 225 x 10, 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 445 x 8 x 3
    Leg Press - 495 x 15 x 2
    Leg Ext - 255 x 25 +5, 5, 5, 5, 5
    Leg Curl - 255 x 25 +5, 5, 5, 5, 5
    Calf Raise (using leg press) - 585 x 15 x 2
    Weighted Situp/Crunch machine - 140 x 20 x 2

I'm getting kind of tired of doing squats and we only have one rack to do them in. Half the time, this guy who looks like Murr from Impractical Jokers is monopolizing the rack the whole time I'm there. Seems like a good enough excuse to stop doing them. We have a hack squat machine I could use instead but it's a stack loaded machine... too many machines using stacks instead of being plate loaded. I've maxed out the stack on the leg extension and leg curl machines so I'm going to switch to single leg on each then progress from there once I figure out what load to use.

Jak1537 and NWlifter like this.
  6. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

Man your too strong for the equipment, I'll never have that 'problem' lol Awesome...

What HST principles are your current program? Do you do blocks of increasing RM's with this?

7. Totentanz

I'm basically following the myo-reps template (with some small changes) which is more or less an optimization or derivative of HST anyway. So in a nutshell, heavier work that is progressed normally alongside lighter work done myo-reps style (that is also progressed) - however, I only do the myo-reps stuff on certain days. If I'm not feeling it a particular day, then I just do a 1-4 sets of 12-20 reps instead. I've found with myo-reps that I end up doing a lot of what I call "edging" - essentially riding the edge of almost doing too much, so I have to be careful not to overdo it.

For the regular heavy work, I don't stick to specific rep blocks. I just do whatever volume I feel like I can handle that day while continually increasing the loads I'm using. It can range from 2-5 sets of 5-12 reps. Progression ends up being slower than a real HST cycle because I only increase when I feel like it. For example, today I was feeling lazy so I stopped at 8 reps. I also kept the same load as last time. But next time I might do sets of 10 with the same load if I stick with squats. I probably won't increase the load, because I don't really want to. Squats are one of those lifts where shit feels heavy once you get over 315, pretty much no matter what.

The app I use to track my workouts shows me the total amount of weight I moved each workout. Depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day, it can range from 20,000 lbs to 60,000 lbs moved during a workout. I don't really care too much about total tonnage though. I definitely don't recommend everyone playing as fast and loose with things as I do. I generally tell people not to base anything on how they feel and to just stick to their plan. I don't think most people are in tune with their bodies to the point where they can be successful doing things the way I do. It's not just the way my body feels though, my mood is important too. If I'm just fucking pissed off at having to wake up on a particular day, I might only do the heavy work and skip the light stuff, or vice versa.

Jak1537, NWlifter and _Simon_ like this.
  8. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

OK cool, nice setup!

So not sure if you saw, but how much did you gain when you started HST at about 140 something lbs and did a few cycles 'as written'?

9. Totentanz

I gained like 20-30 lbs my first year, if I recall correctly. Obviously newbie gains.

NWlifter likes this.
  10. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

Oh ok, thanks!

11. Totentanz

The big thing for me is that I've been able to sustain gains, albeit a lot slower as time progresses, for years. Which is exactly what HST promises and seems to be delivering on.

Jak1537 and NWlifter like this.
  12. Totentanz

Kinda tired today so I just did 45 minutes on the elliptical

13. Jak1537

Jak1537 Member

I love that way of thinking about training. Looking at steady progression over your lifting career is the way to go!

Totentanz likes this.
  14. Totentanz

Definitely thinking of the long term is important. Many people change things up way too frequently. Most of those people find themselves looking basically basically the same year in and year out. Ive seen that a lot over the years.
    That's why with any big changes to programming, I always give it at least 3 or 4 months at a minimum to see if it's working or not. Ideally 6 months.
    Patience is one of the most important parts of this game.

Sci and _Simon_ like this.
  15. Jak1537

Jak1537 Member

That’s a very common trap to fall into. Every year since I started lifting I have been tempted with so many new/latest training programs. These days the internet and social media are full of fitness influencers pushing their “optimum” program. The best realisation I had was that there is actually no such thing l!

Really loving how HST is principle based and can be flexible with any workout split/routine.

16. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

4-5 days a week makes a huge difference. You look great man

Totentanz likes this.
  17. Totentanz

Went ahead and swapped squats out for leg press. At least the leg press is usually unoccupied. Did a bunch of warm ups then topped out at 685 x 10 x 2. Didn't put on knee sleeves til the last set. Pretty sure I could handle a lot more weight if I used the damn sleeves

Calf raise 585 x 15 x 3 just for the heck of it
    Leg ext 255 x 25 +5, 5, 5, 5, 5
    Leg curl 255 x 25 +5, 5, 5, 5, 5
    Weighted sit ups 140 x 20 x 3

I think I can keep going with the leg extensions and curls like this since I'm doing them myoreps style. Just don't feel like switching to single leg for them just yet.
    Bodyweight holding steady at 250. Appetite hasn't been as strong lately.

18. Jak1537

Jak1537 Member

Leg extensions for myo reps...what a savage idea haha! Only ever done myo reps on bis and tris!

19. Totentanz

Tbh the leg curls myoreps style suck worse...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  20. Jak1537

Jak1537 Member

Haha that’s one way to look at it!