Back to Basics

I'm not really worried about pecs anyway. I think my triceps are what is holding me back from benching more. Plus my arms are small, so tricep specialization it is.

I'm not really worried about pecs anyway. I think my triceps are what is holding me back from benching more. Plus my arms are small, so tricep specialization it is.

I think it is generally underestimated how much of an important role tris play in benching.

I think it is generally underestimated how much of an important role tris play in benching.

I agree. Anecdotally, I feel my triceps a lot after sets of benching and they are typically what starts to burn out first. This can dependent on hand spacing on the bar I suppose, becoming more tricep dependent the closer the grip.

I agree. Anecdotally, I feel my triceps a lot after sets of benching and they are typically what starts to burn out first. This can dependent on hand spacing on the bar I suppose, becoming more tricep dependent the closer the grip.

I have had this same feeling before but in my triceps and front deltoids.

I was thinking...and maybe I am wrong but this just meant that the triceps and delts were bearing the majority of the load and not the pecs.

My thinking was if this is whats happening my pec growth is going to lag b/c my delts and triceps are doing the majority of the work?

Am I right or wrong?

It would only limit the amount of work done. If you feel that your triceps and delts do the majority of the work on bench, it would seem prudent to use a different or additional exercise for pecs. For example, I've almost always used some variation of the loaded dip.

Once I widened my grip ( really wide!). My pecs became heavily strained during bench press. now I always bench really wide, since my pecs are a weak area and not my triceps.

Also, with dips they seem to strain both my pecs and triceps really hard, and less shoulder pain so I am making dips my primary chest and Tricep movement, and using bench as secondary only.

Last edited:
Once I widened my grip ( really wide!). My pecs became heavily strained during bench press. now I always bench really wide, since my pecs are a weak area and not my triceps.

Also, with dips they seem to strain both my pecs and triceps really hard, and less shoulder pain so I am making dips my primary chest and Tricep movement, and using bench as secondary only.

Be careful benching wide especially if you are prone to shoulder problems. Wide grip places a lot of strain on the shoulders. Unless you have very unusual shoulders it's a matter of when not if you will develop shoulder problems, especially if you don’t do enough upper/mid trap and rear delt work to balance things out.

Be careful benching wide especially if you are prone to shoulder problems. Wide grip places a lot of strain on the shoulders. Unless you have very unusual shoulders it's a matter of when not if you will develop shoulder problems, especially if you don’t do enough upper/mid trap and rear delt work to balance things out.

Well aware. But it is opposite for me. Narrow grip hurts my shoulder, wide is ok, Dips are even better with no pain at all. I do have unusual shoulders though.

I feel strain on my wrists, so gotta keep an eye on that. None in my shoulders so far.

I’m not sure if you have access to one but a Swiss or Football Bar, allowing a neutral grip would likely help with the wrist pain and also reduces the strain on the shoulders even with a wider grip.

Hey Tot, you ever try lying pullovers or extensions? Getting a good stretch on triceps really emphasizes the larger, long head. Of course you'll probably do plenty with your proposed routine.

Yep, I don't like them as a heavy exercise because it is too hard on the elbows, in my opinion. I like them as metabolic work better. I prefer heavy tricep dips or close grip bench as the main heavy work first. But that's just because I'm cautious with the elbows.

Same here. That is my approach as well. I tried some more isolation stuff, but always fall back on dips and presses. Dips especially are insanely good on triceps, for me anyway.

Same here. That is my approach as well. I tried some more isolation stuff, but always fall back on dips and presses. Dips especially are insanely good on triceps, for me anyway.

Dips really rock. Too bad my shoulders don´t like them (anymore)

Otherwise its a real save and good builder for the triceps and save the joints!

Joined the local gym finally today. I was kind of surprised at the deal I got, the guy took almost $200 off what I was supposed to have paid, and gave me a massively discounted monthly rate. Since it is January and tons of people are joining anyway, I wasn't expecting them to do a whole lot to persuade me to join.

Looks like a good place. Tons of hammer strength equipment, a lot that I've never used before. Tons of weights, the only thing that made me nervous was only one power rack, one squat rack and a smith machine, but it looks like everyone uses the hammer strength and all the stack machines, so I should have the rack to myself when I want it.
I'll be going in tomorrow for my first workout of this cycle. I'm not testing RMs, just estimating. It's been over a month since any serious lifting, so I will consider that an extended SD, I'd rather not spoil that by testing maxes.

Tot,

Just curious you have been lifting a while now.

As for total reps. What do you try to use for a guidelines during 15s,10s and 5s.

Joined the local gym finally today. I was kind of surprised at the deal I got, the guy took almost $200 off what I was supposed to have paid, and gave me a massively discounted monthly rate.

Tons of weights, the only thing that made me nervous was only one power rack, one squat rack and a smith machine, but it looks like everyone uses the hammer strength and all the stack machines, so I should have the rack to myself when I want it.

Sounds good to me. $200 off too! :cool: The last two commercial gyms I went to only had the one power rack each. I never had to wait to use them. I think I worked in with other people once or twice. That was over a two year period!

Hope it all goes well. Try not to bend too many of their bars! :)

Yeah yesterday I was doing close grip bench, had my earbuds in, listening to music and as I'm loading one side of the bar, I look up and some dude is loading the other side for me. That was a little weird. I don't really like talking much during my workouts though so I just nodded and said thanks, then continued on.

Back