Balanced diet

The thing is... most aren't going to make gains and stay lean at the same time. Because even if you reduce how much weight you are gaining, you still will not make those gains into 100% muscle somehow, no matter what you do. A caloric surplus will always result in fat gain of some amount. A caloric surplus is necessary to gain muscle, therefore fat gain of some amount will always accompany muscle gains.

Dude, seriously, who cares about being lean year round anyway? When I finally stopped being all worried about not being fat is when I finally started making big gains. And guess what... a lot of the guys who I used to lift with, who didn't want to get fat are a fraction of my size now. I've known a lot of weight lifters and bodybuilders over the years. Do you know how many spun their wheels and made almost no progress due to wanting to minimize fat gain? Most of them. It's the classic example of ****arounditis. They start to bulk, then get freaked out by the fat gain and start cutting without any kind of adjustment period between bulking and cutting, start to get smaller and freak out because they think they are losing their muscles, and switch back to bulking again. The net result is that they typically end up never being especially big and never being especially lean either.
As I said, my best gains ever (aside from my noob gains the first year I started HST) were when I quit worrying about becoming a fat hog, and ate my way up over 20% bodyfat. My waist went from size 32 to a 38, which is the absolute fattest I have ever been. And when I finally cut down, I was almost 20 lbs heavier than before I started the bulk while at roughly the same bodyfat percentage. I bulked for about 9 months and cut in 4 months, so the whole process took about a year. 20 lbs of muscle gain in a year? Compare that to the year prior when I tried to stay lean and ended the year only 5 lbs heavier and not significantly leaner or fatter than the prior year? Hell yes I will take those kinds of results.

My point is... when you bulk, it is your chance to put on muscle. Fat is not permanent. You can always cut the fat later. People get scared that somehow the fat will stay forever. You know how to diet, it is not that hard to trim away the fat. It might take up to six months if you got especially fat, but there is no reason you can't just cut the fat later on, right?

Leangains works but as blade pointed out, a lot of the dudes doing leangains end up looking stringy, their muscles don't typically have a "full" look to them. I've done leangains during a cut and it worked great and I recommend IF to people all the time because of the ease of sticking to the diet. But even Martin himself has said that it is simply a means to an end. I don't do IF anymore because I can follow whatever diet and it is difficult to fit around my work and home schedule, so what's the point? When I can lose fat doing pretty much any diet, it is much easier to just trim back the calories. IF works better for people (in my opinion) who have a hard time with self-discipline because the feasting every night makes them feel like they are not dieting. For people who have self control and can stick to any diet, it is not necessary.
All that said, I do still keep the majority of my calories post-workout when I am on a diet, and I do cycle macros around my workouts when on a diet.

Don't get caught up on labels like "hard gainer" - do you know how small I was when I started out? I weighed around 140 lbs. I thought I was a hard gainer. A classic ectomorph. Eight years later, I've hit 250 while still under 15% bodyfat. Hard gainer, ectomorph... those terms are myths.

Last edited:
Very true, thanks for the thorough writing. I need to do something about my fat gains during bulking, I look as if I pooched my stomach out, yet I can't hold it flexed all day long - only in the vicinity of some chicks ;) It might be that the only way to get rid of that stubborn fat & visceral stuff is to run the leangains IF thing once, and then go on eating normal (no fasting) & maintain my macros. Coz even if I cut my carbs, weight would drop due to losing some water, true, but fat would still be around - tried that for 6 weeks. BTW Martin tends to keep his nutrition 20% pre- and 80% post workout. This is in contrast to IF where only 10 g BCAA are permitted pre-workout on a 16 hour fast.

You could also have mild IBS, which causes a decent bloating of the gut - not to jinx you or anything, but mightn't be just a 'fat' issue. Posture, mild/small genetic factor etc.

I read the definition of IBS here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001292/
Nothing like that, really, No constipation etc. I do have lactase deficiency, so I can only drink whole milk in small amounts. Lots of folks have it.

And they seem to be talking of some kind of acute bloating that has been present for at least 3 days a month for the last 3 month.
I have it permanently.

Last edited:
If it is visceral fat, I typically don't like cardio and I don't like HIIT but Lyle's Stubborn Fat Protocol seemed to work for me when I had significant visceral fat buildup that was being stubborn about going away while I was dieting. I combined the SFP with a Rapid Fat Loss diet and got rid of the bulging gut within a couple weeks of hell.

Yeah Berkemp has been training for 10 plus years. So don't use Marion Berkemp as your ultimate savior or anything.

Muscle raises metabolism more than fat does. So a 200 pound muscular person with 12% bodyfat can eat more calories than a 200 pound 30% BF person assuming that their exercise level is the same without gaining weight (fat). Exactly how many more is subject to too many individual genetic variables to accurately state. Not sure if that answers your question or not.

Yes, it pretty much does, thanks. I've been gaining some fat which is too obtrusive to be true, so I've been wondering if I can expect it to slowly melt away as I put on more muscle.

More muscle just makes you require more calories. That does not necessarily mean that fat is easier to manage.

But come on... we aren't regular people, fat management isn't even a concern. If you have gained too much fat, just go on a cut. We aren't talking about normal people here who if they gain fat, it is most likely permanent.

As for your hope that your fat will melt away you gain muscle... we've already told you this won't happen. You can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time unless you are a genetic freak, which you aren't, or are on a lot of drugs and doing some severe dietary manipulation at the same time, which you aren't.

My thinking was due to this part in HST FAQ, Ch. 22:
Without going into too much detail, the bigger you are the more calories you burn in a day.
Likewise, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. So the bigger and more
muscular you are, the easier it is to lose weight.

And also this:
CALORIES
At the simplest level, an excess of calories is required for the body to increase its fat-free/water-free mass. By excess we mean calories in excess of the body's daily caloric needs. Now, there are some of you who might have heard of people experiencing a simultaneous increase in muscle mass and loss of body fat. This DOES frequently happen while using HST, but it should not be your only measure of success. You will experience much more success by focusing your efforts either on gaining muscle, or losing body fat, rather than both at the same time. Trust me on this.
Taken from http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/HSreport/iss04/index.html#art_1

So I thought it might be something to expect.

First part - note how he says "without going into too much detail" - as I stated, more muscle will require more calories to maintain. This does not necessarily mean it is easier to lose weight.

Second part - That's a bit of an exaggeration. Also, hopefully he was talking about newbies there because it doesn't typically happen with normal people.

But come on... we aren't regular people, fat management isn't even a concern. If you have gained too much fat, just go on a cut. We aren't talking about normal people here who if they gain fat, it is most likely permanent.

Man this part had me cracking up. I try to explain to people that if I put on 30 lbs while lifting, some will be muscle and some will be fat. And that I can just lose the fat later. They just go, " Yea, but you looked better with a six pack."

I look at it like there are very few people who are in it for the long haul, and just want some 8-12 week magic way to gain muscle or lose fat. And when they don't see results from the crap they read in a magazine, they quit. These people are soon to be flooding the gym and curling in my squat rack.

Yes, that's one thing I hate about working out in a commercial gym. Come new years suddenly there are tons of people there and 95% of them will be gone within a month or two.

Most people I know have gotten used to seeing me start getting fat steadily over a few months then start getting thinner over a few months. Who cares about fat gain? The guys who do care too much about fat gain are the ones who stay little.

Yeah, January is a tough time to belong to a commercial gym. However, the resolutioners usually last maybe two weeks and are gone. The next wave hits in late May when the college party types come home and want to "get in shape" for the beach. They are usually "toned up" and back in the bars by mid June and then we get our squat racks back and can dead lift again without people whispering and smirking at us...but only behind our backs. :cool:

Fat is fat, you know. It's not what most of us are in bodybuilding for. Some bulkiness looks no worse or sometimes even better than being lean. But a big or flabby stomach is a whole other issue :(

Fat is fat, you know. It's not what most of us are in bodybuilding for. Some bulkiness looks no worse or sometimes even better than being lean. But a big or flabby stomach is a whole other issue :(

Totentanz' point is that the fat isn't permanent, it's merely a part of the means that brings you to a big&lend end. In the last 4-6 weeks, he has probably paraphrased 'the guys who are scared of fat are the ones who don't get anywhere' about 30 times. And look at him, his progression. He isn't genetically 'gifted' or a naturally lean motherf****r ... he's telling you what worked.

Besides, with your #'s, I'd say you only 2-3 bulk&cuts away from having a similar look, if not near there already (accounting for height etc).

Fat is not fat. There is the increase in each individual fat cell and then there is the increase in the number of fat cells. The former can be dieted off rather easily. The latter is there forever although you can still shrink the size of them, there is just more of them to shrink.

Although most body builders would probably disagree, my personal philosophy is to stay within 10 pounds of my lean body weight. Yo-yo dieting is not good for people in general, including body builders. It makes it tougher to stay lean when you want to. Just my 1/2 cent.

I've bulked up to almost 25% bodyfat, and I can still diet down to sub-10% without issue. I can stay lean if I want to. So apparently bulking up to significantly more than my lean weight has done nothing to make it harder to stay lean.

Back