best mass building for arms

jwbond

i am doing a cutting cycle of 6 days a week. it seems that 6 days a week will be awfully taxing on the arms. would it be better to do arms only 3 days a week and 6 days for the larger muscle groups?

i want to do what is best for maximum growth (who doesnt)

What your main focus should be on is going as heavy as possible on your other compound movements. You will get plenty of arm work if you are using the correct exercises for larger muscle groups. On top of that, you really shouldn't be looking for any growth at all if you are cutting right now anyways...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Aug. 02 2005,7:29)]What your main focus should be on is going as heavy as possible on your other compound movements.  You will get plenty of arm work if you are using the correct exercises for larger muscle groups.  On top of that, you really shouldn't be looking for any growth at all if you are cutting right now anyways...
yeah i am not expecting any gains since im cutting, actually i just want to maintain muscle and lose fat as my goal.

i guess i want to know more for when i do a bulking cycle. anyone have any thoughts on that? 3 or 6 days for arms?

I probably wouldn't do any direct arm work during a cut. Just keep going heavy on the compounds and that should spare your lean mass well enough, as long as you don't cut your calories too far down.

If you want to still do direct arm work, then yeah, I would go down to 3 days a week for arms and keep all your compounds at 6 times a week.

Significantly loading the muscle will lead you to be bigger, provided you eat properly. That being said, increase your weights in the flat bench press, standing military press, bentover row (parallel to floor), chinup, and deadlift. You'll have bigger arms. Worry not, about the isolations, my son.

Echo what everybody else has been saying. It's the compounds that will really make your arm swell.

Of course, being in cutting, don't expect to gain a lot of muscle; expect to lose a few, but not so much as long as you don't go crazy on the caloric deficit, still eat enough protein, and keep your exercises regular to provide muscle stimulation.

Regards,
-JV

ill cut down my arms to 2-3 days a week while im cutting and go heavy on the compounds.

should i do the same when bulking or can i increase arms to 6 times a week?

i get better results when adding iso work for arms - best results yet with moderate to high frequency and low volume

(usually around 5-6 sets per week for bic/tric)

good bic ex. dumbell curls on incline bench

tric. ex. dumbell skull crushers

wow.gif
4-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ Aug. 03 2005,9
wow.gif
4)]ill cut down my arms to 2-3 days a week while im cutting and go heavy on the compounds.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ Aug. 03 2005,9:04)]ill cut down my arms to 2-3 days a week while im cutting and go heavy on the compounds.
jwbond, i dont want to come off as mean, but you're not listening. granted you asked for advice and not to be put in slavery, but you are repeating yourself, just with different wording. (even though you've already been answered)

while cutting, STAY AWAY from isolations and focus on heavy compound movements. Also dont starve yourself. while bulking, minimal to moderate isolation work can be done, but you should still focus on those heavy compounds. Also, eat up, but healthy. now if you're an advanced weightlifter, then do what you want cuz obviously its working. but im guessing since your asking this question your not. So stick to the basics and keep things simple. dont copy cat the programs of "assisted" weightlifters if you're not assisted yourself. Ignore the bodybuilding magazines. good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Aug. 02 2005,11:26)]Echo what everybody else has been saying. It's the compounds that will really make your arm swell.
That being said, does that mean I can do (for Upper Body):
- Weighted Chins
- Bench
- Bent Over Row
- Military Press
and continue to grow my arms in proportion to torso muscles?

and if so why do we continue to add Curls and Triceps Exts to the routines?

Rakki, that will depend a bit on your genetics and what you consider to be "in proportion to torso muscles." But yes, you could get some good growth in your arms with that routine.
The thing is, most guys focus on their arms too much and want to add in way too many isolations for the arms. Some isolations are good, on a bulking cycle anyway.
I don't see much point in using isolations during a cut since you are not going to gain muscle. A lot of people think that maybe they will be the exception to the rule and will gain muscle while cutting, but there are people on steroids who still can't gain muscle while cutting, so you should never count on that to happen, especially if you are natural.

All that said - try it out some time. Weighted chins especially can induce some significant microtrauma in your arms, depending on which grip you use. But anyway, try out those exercises some time, without doing any direct arm work beforehand, and see how much it works your arms. I think you may be surprised.

wow.gif
5-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Aug. 03 2005,7
wow.gif
5)]But anyway, try out those exercises some time, without doing any direct arm work beforehand, and see how much it works your arms. I think you may be surprised.
I may give it a shot for my next cycle, I don't tink I got anything to lose

BTW - I'm strictly concerned with size for now though, no cutting yet

I'm at the tail end of a compounds-only (or compounds-mostly) cycle during which I didn't train arms with isolations. I've been training five or six days a week, alternating between two different workouts:

Workout A
Behind-the-neck presses
Front squats
Bent-over rows, mostly barbell
Incline bench presses

Workout B
Lateral raises or bent-over flyes
Stiff-legged deads
Pull-ups
Dips

I did two sets each of fifteens, three of tens, and three of fives and post-fives (two heavy and one metabolic).

My arms stayed almost exactly the same size (just shy of fifteen inches). I didn't lose any size, and two months later they still feel full and hard, but I didn't gain any, either. Same goes for calves. However, I gained everywhere else, especially my back, chest, and traps. I also like what all the pull-ups and deadlifts have done for my forearms. Same size but ropier.

I would definitely recommend that anyone try a higher-frequency cycle of all or mostly compounds. This was productive for me. I'm going to re-introduce arm isolations during my next cycle, but in a much more limited fashion than what I used to do--maybe one set each for bis and tris two times a week. You don't need to do as much as you might think if you're hitting the compounds heavy.

why not just cut isos out when you get to the 5s,use your ten and five rep range in the 15s and 10s then drop them altogether in the 5s..thats what i am doing ,i am only on the 15s at the moment let you know how it goes. :D

Hey Gripstrength,

Not sure if I've missed something in what you say, but if you haven't made any gains in your arms after a complete cycle of compounds I can't see how that's a good thing?! Or, are you saying that because you haven't made any gains in your arms this cycle that you will be doing some isolations for arms next time to ensure this doesn't happen again?

It does seem strange to me that you've made good gains in your back, chest and traps but nothing in your arms. I wouldn't have expected that. I can understand your calves not improving as they'll likely be much tougher to grow without lots of heavy direct work and lots of stretching.

I'm very interested in this as I am mid-15s on my first cycle and have included direct work for bis and tris. I'll continue to do bi and tri isolations when on 10s & 5s and let you know how I get on. My upper arms are 15" right now (15 1/2 when pumped) and I'm really hoping I can make some good gains this cycle. I'm really going to go for a good stretch in the arm muscles with the isos which I find much harder to do with upper-body compounds.

i have a quick question! is 3x a week of lifting heavy weights enough to spare muscle when cutting. or is higher frequency needed? :) thanks

skinnyman,
It has already been mentioned that cutting is not so different from bulking. I remember Vicious saying in an old thread that he considers cutting "a lousy bulking". In other words, nutrition is the key difference and not training itself. So, I would say that high frequency is not necessarily better than 3-4x a week (with sufficient volume) for preserving muscle, as our real goal is to keep protein synthesis levels elevated. As long as we are able to achieve this, either way should work fine.

On a personal note, however, I really like high frequency for cutting, as it reduces significantly the amount of cardio required.

Regards,
Dimitris

IMO, cutting should involve higher frequency 3x -> 6x or
6x->10x/12x etc.

The extra caloric requirements create the deficit required to lose weight, as opposed to removing cals. The workouts should be heavy (5s and 5RM range) in order to create the most intra-muscular anabolic stimulus. You'll be creating a systemic catabolic environment (starvation) so you want to maintain an anabolic environment in the muscle cells themselves.

My $0.02

Back