bodybuilders physique + celebrities

I get that this is a high protein diet, but what about veggies and carbs? Honestly that does not sound healthy. Your body sounds like it is in starvation mode and you are just metabolizing your muscle. You have gotten a lot of suggestions but you might be too fixated on your butt fat to put them into place.

I'll keep trying things but I can't drop cals by another 500. I have slowly reduced cals to the diet example above. I did it by reducing carbs. The diet above gives me 80g of carbs a day.

So we are similar weight but you're a bit taller. I am currently gaining weight (less than 1lb a week) over the last 6 weeks and here are my macros:

Calories: 2700
Fat: 60g (9 x 60 = 720 cal)
Carbs: 350g (4 x 350 = 1400 cal)
Protien: 160g (4 x 160 = 640 cal)

Due to my diet I find it hard to hit my Carbs macro and I am almost always under however I am almost always over with my Fats. Now my diet isn't (yet) following the e-books recommendations but it's closer than yours. Here are a few points from "eating for size":
1. Calories: "add 500 – 600 calories to that total [BMR] in order to figure out how much you need to eat to gain weight"
2. Fat: "A general rule for fat intake is 20-25%."
3. Carbs: "So after all the protein and fat, ... The only macro left is carbohydrates."
4. Protien: "A general rule of thumb is that you should get about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, or 2.2 grams per kilogram of body weight."

And for cutting:
1. "Remember, weight gain and loss are a function of diet, not training."
2. "You can figure your required calorie intake using the formulas outlined in the previous chapter. However, instead of adding 500-600 calories over your BMR, you want to subtractthat amount from your BMR."
3. "I actually prefer to jack protein up more during a cut than I do during a bulk. I prefer 1.5 grams per lb of body weight, or 3.3 grams per kg of body weight."

The first two weeks I was doing this I felt like I was eating all the time and felt like a cow. At one point I ate some crap that got me a little bloated and I freaked out a little. I didn't do anything too drastic but I dropped to 2500 calories, well after the food bloat went away I started noticing I was hungry all the time, so I am going back to 2700 (which I should have just stuck too). Now I am about 5-6lbs heavier than when I started but I look much better. I think you will have similar results if you apply these principles rather than trying to mimic a starving child's diet. If you are looking for suggestions, find your BMR, set up your macros and track your progress. Like it was mentioned above give your metabolism a few weeks to normal out and then either bulk or cut using the proper macros.

After 12 years of training, you should be seriously stacked with muscles. You are likely doing some poor training or dieting mistakes. Diet is the hardest part, I recommend getting some good dieting books like Lyle McDonald's books. If you can afford it, hire a personal nutritionist and a personal trainer, because your self-guided results have been a failure.

Still haven't seen a routine posted here. If you want to fix whatever mistake you've been making, we need to know what you are actually doing.

Hi Totentanz.

I have done a few routines over the last 2 years. All strength based. Started with stronglifts, Jason Ferruggia's, Chad waterbury. I've mostly done HST this year. 3 cycles. I've just started a new routine last week but haven't been on it long enough to make it worth mentioning yet.

My HST routine was below.
Squat * 2
Bench * 2
Bentover Row * 2
Barbell Press * 2
Wide grip pull up * 2
Close grip pull up * 1
Dip * 2
Chin * 1
Tricep press * 1-2
Barbell Curl * 2
Deadlift every other workout

As I mentioned I only ever seem to be in a state of gaining fat or losing fat without actually being lean or muscular.

Thanls

Last edited:
Yes. That was the routine I did. I guess you can count deadlifts towards legs also. I wanted to build my upper body and included squat because it is supposed to be the king.

The routine on the hst website has just as many upper body exercises compared to legs.

I just tried to include the most important exercise for each muscle group.

Lets - squat
chest - bench - dips
shoulders - barbell press
back deadlift - rows - pull ups

Last edited:
Do you have videos of any of your lifts? One of the things that can seriously hold back strength/mass potential is one's form in the basic exercises, at least on the training side. The diet side is more obvious - a failure to eat over or above maintenance, based on goals, and the failure of what you're eating to actually resemble a reasonably healthy diet (i.e. mostly whole foods, adequate protein and healthy fats, all that jazz).

Sounds like you have ruined your set point for whatever reason 1500 cals for a 6 footer is very low. You need a couple weeks at or above maintaince to restore leptin. Then start again.

re film stars: most of them are tiny IRL. I once sat next to Jason statham in the cinema he's was like a child next to me. He's obviously very lean but is actually a small guy . Most stars that look good are manlets that diet down for films. As for Hugh J has virtually no legs at all.

Its their job to look good they are totally irrelevant to real life and none of them walk around like that day in and out. If they do then they enjoy some chemical help

Do you have videos of any of your lifts? One of the things that can seriously hold back strength/mass potential is one's form in the basic exercises, at least on the training side. The diet side is more obvious - a failure to eat over or above maintenance, based on goals, and the failure of what you're eating to actually resemble a reasonably healthy diet (i.e. mostly whole foods, adequate protein and healthy fats, all that jazz).

I've never videoed my lifts. My diet is based around whole foods. I'm going to eat at higher cals as totentanz and grooveongreg suggested. I've used the ifcalc to workout my macros.

It's true that most guys with good bodies in movies are just really lean which makes them look bigger than what they are. Jason Statham has never really been big though.

Chris Hemsworth was big in thor and according to reading it only took 2 months.

Last edited:
This summer i got pretty lean. But couldn't maintain it. Clothes hung off me. Labido was next to nothing . And my life revolved around diet. Had zero social life. Was mean to my misus as I was so irritable.

Better off lifting heavy, eating big and diet down for events or holidays. That's what I do anyway otherwise life is a ballache.

forget anyone else do the best with the hand your delt. There will always be better and worse than yourself

I didnt notice any adverse effects. I felt more stable psychologically while dieting. Regular refeeds helped with the libido side of things, in my opinion. I feel much more sluggish while bulking.

To a point i felt great but pushing it to the next level I did suffer. Friend of mine does natty BB and after a show it takes him months to get libido back.

I've never videoed my lifts. My diet is based around whole foods. I'm going to eat at higher cals as totentanz and grooveongreg suggested. I've used the ifcalc to workout my macros.

It's true that most guys with good bodies in movies are just really lean which makes them look bigger than what they are. Jason Statham has never really been big though.

Chris Hemsworth was big in thor and according to reading it only took 2 months.

Brad Pitt was miniscule in Fight Club, but you'd struggle to find a female who isn't 'skirt off' if they ran into that Brad Pitt on the street ... lesbians included. Leanness is just a fantastic optical illusion, complement that with lighting, skin colour-tone and tautness etc. and you end up looking a lot bigger than you are.

Brad Pitt was miniscule in Fight Club, but you'd struggle to find a female who isn't 'skirt off' if they ran into that Brad Pitt on the street ... lesbians included. Leanness is just a fantastic optical illusion, complement that with lighting, skin colour-tone and tautness etc. and you end up looking a lot bigger than you are.

Thanks for the video link HDLou.

It's true that being super lean in films gives the illusion that they are bigger than what they are. Again I never thought brad pitt was big in fight club. He was alot bigger in Troy.

There are movie stars who have put on lots of size for roles though. Chris Hemsworth (thor) Henry Cavill (man of steel). Mark Whalberg (pain and gain) These guys got pretty big and I'm not sure I believe they are all on steroids.

It's true that being super lean in films gives the illusion that they are bigger than what they are. Again I never thought brad pitt was big in fight club. He was alot bigger in Troy.

There are movie stars who have put on lots of size for roles though. Chris Hemsworth (thor) Henry Cavill (man of steel). Mark Whalberg (pain and gain) These guys got pretty big and I'm not sure I believe they are all on steroids.

Do u really think someone like Walberg was able to put 40 solid lbs. on in 2 months time naturally?

Chaar,

If you are having this much trouble with your fat levels, it is highly likely you are hypo-thyroid. Go see a good endocrinologist. Whether or not he puts you on Synthroid (do NOT go on Armour), you should take this every day of your life:
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- .5 teaspoons of Ashwaghanda
- .5 teaspoons of ginseng (if adrenal fatigue is suspect)
- never go below 10% of maintenance calories (trashes your metabolism)
- sleep 9 hours every night, or 8 hours plus one hour nap
- 1.5 grams of protein per pound

Yes, life is not fair, sorry. But if you are diligent with the above, a hypo person can lead a normal life and still accomplish much.

The amount of muscle they had to add for those roles isn't even realistic for a natural. Not only that, but why would you assume that anyone in hollywood would even do it naturally anyway? Why would they not use assistance? You do realize that their pay depends on them being able to get those roles and keep them, obviously they are going to use whatever tools they need to in order to get to where they need to be for the role.
If you think that is possible for a natural to do while also staying lean at the same time, then I have some "tiger blood" I would like to sell you, only $999 dollars and guaranteed to make you hyoooge.

Back