Still using SS deadlift cues?

Yeah pretty much, although I allow my hips to drop a little lower than they would following the "5 step setup" as I find I am a bit stronger as it allows me to get the quads a little more involved off the floor.

Yeah pretty much, although I allow my hips to drop a little lower than they would following the "5 step setup" as I find I am a bit stronger as it allows me to get the quads a little more involved off the floor.

Same here. Every time I’ve tried that set-up texhnique, I feel like I’m doing SLDLs instead.

And you get no tension on the glutes, and a very slow break.

I’m sure it’s great for some, but Alan Thrall (who’s great) and Barbell Medicine have been spamming SS everything for six months now.

I think there are a lot of good things in starting strength, especially when learning the movements but they are very much “our way or the wrong way”

Comp prep session 4
https://instagram.com/p/BeIA3t0BjCI/

19/1/18

Beltless Pause Deadlift
180kg x5 @ 7
180kg x5 @ 8
170kg x5 @ 7

RDLs Beltless
140 x6
160 x6 @6
160 x6 @6
160 x6 @7

Chest supported row (close grip)
68kg x 10
68kg x 10
73kg x 10
73kg x 10

French press seated
40kg x10
40kg x10
40kg x10

12 Weeks Out

Comp Prep Session 5
https://www.instagram.com/p/BePjJAXhRJ7/

Was supposed to hit hit 3 sets of 5 on squats this morning around 80% put a stressful few days + a shit nights sleep meant I just couldnt face sets of 5. So used the same weight for 5 sets of 3 instead as at least it was the same volume.
Might move my heavy squat day to a different day of the week as Monday mornings i'm always pretty sluggish.

Squat w/belt
170kg x3x5 @7

Comp Bench
127.5 x5x3 @7-8

Lat Pull Down
70kg x6x3

23/1/18
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeSMXa8B5Tf/?taken-by=moose_lifts

Squat w/belt
140kg x3
160kg x2
172.5kg x1
182.5kg x2 @7

Deadlift w/belt
220kg x2x3 @7

Comp Bench
100kg x3
120kg x2
130kg x1x2
145kg x3x2 (also 3 rep PR)

Chest Supported Row
78kg x15x2

Kind of gone off program a bit and loosely doing Gegg Nuckolls Bulgarian method. We have our 2nd child due any day soon so thought it might be a bit hard getting consistent training in for the first few weeks after his arrival so thought I would just have a bit of fun in the gym until he gets here, then knuckle back down on the comp prep when things have settled down a bit.

I would definitely stick to singles, and only add reps via backoff sets once the gains stall. It’s a fantastic 4-6 week block to run from time to time.

I would definitely stick to singles, and only add reps via backoff sets once the gains stall. It’s a fantastic 4-6 week block to run from time to time.

After reading a bit this morning I now realise that they are supposed to be back off sets rather than doubles and triples with the daily max. How did you run deadlifts on it? Gregg recommends only using sub maximal singles at 70-80% for 1-2 days of the week. What I might do is have one day doing the singles the other maybe do 2-3 sets of 3 so the volume is the same as 6 singles

After reading a bit this morning I now realise that they are supposed to be back off sets rather than doubles and triples with the daily max. How did you run deadlifts on it? Gregg recommends only using sub maximal singles at 70-80% for 1-2 days of the week. What I might do is have one day doing the singles the other maybe do 2-3 sets of 3 so the volume is the same as 6 singles

That would be fine for deadlifts.

I actually kept my normal deadlift programming and worked the Bulgarian method around deadlifts.

10 singles x2 per week at 80% will keep things moving along.

24/1/18
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeUuVV6hjdE/

Squats
160kg x2
175kg x1
185kg x1 @7
160kg x3

OHP - Should pay more attention to my overhead press. Although this was a PR my bench to OHP ratio is shocking!
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
90kg x1 @10 (PR )
80kg x2

Chin ups
BW x5x3

Hammer Curls
12.5kg x12
12.5kg x12
12.5kg x20

Definitely leave the back-off sets until you need them if you are doing 5+ sessions per week.

I would aim for RPE 8 for daily minimum, and on the good days try to limit it to a 9.5. On your best day ever, a 10 is acceptable from time to time.

Back