Haha, fair enough.

Mine are slack/bend the bar/heavy hands, and floor away.

Dragging the bar up the shins has become kind of intrinsic now, most of the time anyway.
I’ve found since going to hook grip dragging up the shins is automatic. Used to windmill a little bit with mixed grip

Over Christmas I’ve just been winging it, and pretty much just been doing whatever I feel like it. I need a deload Week, during that week I’ll sit down and write myself a new program.

I’m not a big fan of block orientated periodisation, ala pretty much anything that’s on the Internet right now.

If I had more than 60 odd minutes in the morning to train, I’d probably run something along the lines of massthetics style conjugate method, and if a meet was on the horizon just turn it into a Bulgarian set up for the two weeks prior.

I find that block style programs are solid B-B+, but the idea that you’re gaining relevant, statistically significant muscle mass during 4-8 week ‘hypertrophy’ blocks and then magically gaining strength for 4-6 weeks as you taper and peak is kind of laughable to me.

Greg Knuckols has a few good programs in his ‘28 free programs’, and the best ones all resemble a max effort and volume day per week for the comp lifts, with relevant accessories comprising the hypertrophic work.

Given the time restraints, I stick to a DUP style with Norwegian frequency ideas thrown in.

I’m not a big fan of block orientated periodisation, ala pretty much anything that’s on the Internet right now.

If I had more than 60 odd minutes in the morning to train, I’d probably run something along the lines of massthetics style conjugate method, and if a meet was on the horizon just turn it into a Bulgarian set up for the two weeks prior.

I find that block style programs are solid B-B+, but the idea that you’re gaining relevant, statistically significant muscle mass during 4-8 week ‘hypertrophy’ blocks and then magically gaining strength for 4-6 weeks as you taper and peak is kind of laughable to me.

Greg Knuckols has a few good programs in his ‘28 free programs’, and the best ones all resemble a max effort and volume day per week for the comp lifts, with relevant accessories comprising the hypertrophic work.

Given the time restraints, I stick to a DUP style with Norwegian frequency ideas thrown in.

Before Christmas I basically just went basic linear progression. Real simple just try to increase the weight a little bit each week. Seemed to work quite nicely and led me to both some rep PRs and some new 1rm PRs.

Probably going to do something similar again in the new year.

I’m not really a fan of the block stuff either. I think you either try and concentrate on hypertrophy or strength, not both.

I do like having a week to two weeks now and again away from the comp movements, but that’s more than a mental break than anything.

I’ll have a look into the gregg nuckols programs. I’ve seen his version of the Bulgarian method which I may give a go at some point.

Last edited:
Happy new year all!

Deload week for me this week. A bit of quad tendinitis around the knee, general aches and pains and overall tiredness so time for a deload.

This morning

Squats
150kg x4x2

Bench
112.5kg x5x2

Face Pulls
40kg x15 x2

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdcDDVshAsa/?taken-by=moose_lifts

For my deloads I like to keep the intensity moderately high (around 70% of 1rm) but reduce the volume and frequency

Happy new year all!

Deload week for me this week. A bit of quad tendinitis around the knee, general aches and pains and overall tiredness so time for a deload.

This morning

Squats
150kg x4x2

Bench
112.5kg x5x2

Face Pulls
40kg x15 x2

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdcDDVshAsa/?taken-by=moose_lifts

For my deloads I like to keep the intensity moderately high (around 70% of 1rm) but reduce the volume and frequency
Happy New Year bud :). All the best for the new year, hopefully no more hospital visits for either of us hehe.

Yep also starting my deload soon (or SD moreso..), starting to feel it too. Gonna do 11 days of no lifting, and also moving house on weekend so good timing.

Happy New Year bud :). All the best for the new year, hopefully no more hospital visits for either of us hehe.

Yep also starting my deload soon (or SD moreso..), starting to feel it too. Gonna do 11 days of no lifting, and also moving house on weekend so good timing.

Happy new year pal! Good luck with the house move.

The SD is great for hypertrophy but If i took 11 days off lifting I would become very detrained in that time. I find 1 week of reduced volume and frequency helps me to dissipate fatigue enough to get a near on full recovery.

Finished writing the new program to start next week after the deload.

After this 3 weeks return to the week 1 but increase the starting intensity. I have moved my comp dead lift day to the last day of the week, reason for this is 1) gives me more recovery time over the weekend and 2) As the deadlift is always the final lift on comp days thought i would experiment with going into my heavy deadlift day slightly fatigued from the previous 3 days training.

I have replaced my usual pause DLs with RDLs, I am hoping this will help with my sticking point which is around the knee

If I can I will try and include a GPP day which will be some light cardio, bicep curls (these help keep the tendinitis at bay), some isometric ab work and maybe some mobility.

Or do I run Gregg Nuckolls Bulgarian method? what do you reckon @Jester?
upload_2018-1-2_10-38-10.png

Last edited:
Happy new year pal! Good luck with the house move.

The SD is great for hypertrophy but If i took 11 days off lifting I would become very detrained in that time. I find 1 week of reduced volume and frequency helps me to dissipate fatigue enough to get a near on full recovery.

Cheers mate. Yeah fair enough. New program sounds good! Love RDLs, not sure if I can do them again but will try work up to them. Yeah a GPP day sounds good, I wanna include something like that, focusing on flexibility, trigger point release and mobility work, my overhead shoulder flexibility is absolutely shocking :S

Cheers mate. Yeah fair enough. New program sounds good! Love RDLs, not sure if I can do them again but will try work up to them. Yeah a GPP day sounds good, I wanna include something like that, focusing on flexibility, trigger point release and mobility work, my overhead shoulder flexibility is absolutely shocking :S

I try not to overthink the mobility, and I am skeptical about the "trigger point" or "myofascial release" stuff as there is a lack of scientific evidence to show its effectiveness. If something is feeling a little "tight" i'll stretch it out a bit thats pretty much it.

My GPP day tends to look something like this;

Rows - AMRAP in 5-7 minutes
Ab work (planks, dead bugs)
Bicep curls (AMRAP in 5 minutes)
Cardio 10 -15 mins, either intervals or steady state
Mobility - 10mins. Just stretch anything that feels particularly tight.

You can improve flexibility from movements themselves. For example if you want better flexibility in a squat then squat. Pause squats (i find) are great for flexibility. Also my overhead flexibility improves, as does my shoulder health in general when I incorporate overhead barbell pressing in my program. start light and progressively load over the weeks/months.

I try not to overthink the mobility, and I am skeptical about the "trigger point" or "myofascial release" stuff as there is a lack of scientific evidence to show its effectiveness. If something is feeling a little "tight" i'll stretch it out a bit thats pretty much it.

My GPP day tends to look something like this;

Rows - AMRAP in 5-7 minutes
Ab work (planks, dead bugs)
Bicep curls (AMRAP in 5 minutes)
Cardio 10 -15 mins, either intervals or steady state
Mobility - 10mins. Just stretch anything that feels particularly tight.

You can improve flexibility from movements themselves. For example if you want better flexibility in a squat then squat. Pause squats (i find) are great for flexibility. Also my overhead flexibility improves, as does my shoulder health in general when I incorporate overhead barbell pressing in my program. start light and progressively load over the weeks/months.

Ah cheers will keep that in mind for sure. Ah yeah fair enough, trigger point work definitely works in my experience, the knots are noticable, and it can release those tight bundles of constriction, but then again if the cause of the constriction isn't that very muscle itself (but caused by an imbalance/or tightness in another muscle group), then releasing that original one probably won't be enough to convince it to stay relaxed.

Yeah true I might do some more overhead stuff. It's like if I lift my arms above my head slowly, it reaches a point (probably not much further than 45 degrees from horizontal) where it just 'locks' and won't go any further. Bizarre!

Back