Bryan, What Are Your Thoughts On Higher Frequency Training?

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by Renky, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Renky

Renky Member

I cannot seem to find the post right now, but you made reference to higher frequency is better than lower frequency and higher volume.
    Can you please take a moment to unpack that comment a little more and share what this would look like?
    I have trained the HST style for a good number of years now and a little while ago incorporated "Myo Reps" (thanks O&G). It has been great! I think it was last year that I tried the higher frequency style training and I ended up crashing and burning. It was just too much on me, so I wondered if you can share what you have learned on this subject?
    Thanks!

2. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

You would only crash and burn on higher frequency training if the volume was too high.

3. Renky

Renky Member

Thanks O&G, but I understand this and feel that this is what happened to me a while back. I was hoping to generate some discussion on what a high frequency routine would look like. I know Blade (aka Borge) is now an advocate of higher frequency, but what does this look like?

4. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

I'd just start by equalizing your volume, then if you do well for 2-3weeks, add 10% volume. Once you figure out your Maximum Recoverable Volume (MRV) then you train that in a progressive manner. Mike Israetel has a lot of free info on this. And I haven't noticed any contradictions between HST and his methodologies so you can employ both.

5. Renky

Renky Member

@adpowah Big thumbs up dude. Thanks. I never heard of this guy before and it sounds like he has a strong background and history in exercise physiology.
    Next week I will just up the frequency on a couple of muscle groups and drop back frequency on a couple of muscle groups to see how it goes. I guess the only trap I fear is that I will fall for the trick of not feeling the volume is enough and then keep adding volume until BAM.

6. Renky

Renky Member

The higher frequency is going ok. I feel that there is still a trap with overdoing volume. For example, if you work a body part each day, a part of you thinks that you need to do more than just 2-3 sets. This is where you have to just cap it off and rack the weights.
    It is a different way of training when you are used to aiming for a minimum of 40 reps per body part in a traditional workout.