Can Protein Convert to Fat?

Aaron is right.
Fat is stored continously and is also burned continously.
When you eat fat its almost always stored immediately, but it also increases fat oxidation. (lots of fat fuel availabe -> lots of fat fuel to burn)
When you eat carbs its almost always stored as glycogen, but it decreases fat oxidation as well.
Lots of carb fuel available, lots of carbs to burn, why would the body burn a lot of fat when carbs are present?
That will increase the chance/risk that the storage of fat (from fat) will become bigger than the fat burning.

So its true that carbs dont often get stored as fat but it can contribute to make you fatter by reducing fat oxidation.

Again, after all advanced calculations are made, its calories in / calories out that decide.

<div>
(Sniggel @ Feb. 27 2007,12:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fat is stored continously and is also burned continously.
When you eat fat its almost always stored immediately, but it also increases fat oxidation. (lots of fat fuel availabe -&gt; lots of fat fuel to burn)
Lots of carb fuel available, lots of carbs to burn, why would the body burn a lot of fat when carbs are present?
That will increase the chance/risk that the storage of fat (from fat) will become bigger than the fat burning.</div>
Mind elaborating on those?
As far as I know, increased fat intake does not affect fat oxidation in any significant manner(take that, Atkins
smile.gif
), only the absence of carbs does that.

And, to piss Berardi off, you can have some glucose with some olive or corn-oil in the same meal(though that may be retarded, but I`m not one to argue about taste and how to combine different dishes in order to get a satisfactory meal) and it won`t go through magic to fat-storage...as long as you`re in a caloric deficit.

Basically, what I`m saying is that you can have any ammount of fat or/and carbs in your diet, as long as you get at least 1g/lb of protein and EFAs(if that sounds familiar, it should, because that`s what Lyle reccomends, and I happen to think it`s a great reccomendation), as long as you count your calories and adjust them to your goals.

Lowering carbs may have some advantages in terms of stubborn fat mobilization, but otherwise, unless you`re a rat, there are no advantages in terms of fatloss/fatgain(when on a bulk).

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Feb. 27 2007,12:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But let's look again at his question, actually questions

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am wondering if protein can convert to fat in a similar fashion as carbs do.

If you answer yes or no, please explain and cite journals if possible.

Thanks</div>

Looking at part 1, it got answered. IE yes it can

Looking at part 2, <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you answer yes or no, please explain and cite journals if possible.</div> When Aaron tried to explain he was told or rather we were all told, just shut up and lift. How did this explain or elaborate or even address Maximuscrates second part of the question?

I absolutely agree, eat more lift more = get big, eat less move more = get leaner but also remember that this forum was a open discussion forum with many of it's principles founded in scientific literature and hence many topics of discussion were of the scientific nature which has/have bearing to practical application.</div>
Then I must apologize. I missed the &quot;cite journals if possible&quot; part. I was tired when I read the original post and didn't read it completely.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't read the journals. I did read my endocrinology textbooks, understand the process, and went from there.

However, what is being stated is completely wrong. All that we eat and digest that doesn't go towards metabolic processes or get used for synthesis of tissue in the body is stored as glycogen - including the fat we eat, the protein we eat, and the carbs we eat. Only the simplest carbs (dextrose) can move directly to the cells and it doesn't move to the fat cells directly. Then when our glycogen storage is exceeded, the excess is stored as body fat. Nothing goes directly into fat storage...ever.

And &quot;shut up and lift&quot;. That's what I finally had to do. I was over analyzing everything to extreme detail and getting nowhere. I was told by this really big guy those exact words. They helped me a great deal. The science is great, but one must also remember not to read too much into it...just eat and lift. The process going on at the cellular level or the understanding of it doesn't really change anything. And it's a good reminder at times that we can analyze until absolutely nothing happens. Or we can move some iron and things will happen. Good things that involve growth.

Food goes in, work goes out, if the work is against resistance, muscles grow.

<div>
(vagrant @ Feb. 28 2007,10:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't read the journals.  I did read my endocrinology textbooks,  understand the process, and went from there.</div>
heres the problem, and it relates to what I wrote origonally

which was
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
The body can turn carbs into fat, and can turn amino acids to fat, it just doesnt happen except under very specific cicumstances</div>

Endocrin texts show the pathway, not the actual utilization of this pathway.

Denovolipogenesis is the pathway that is less traveled.

The body can use this pathway, its just that it doesnt use it a whole lot, as it is energetically worthless to do so, and the body loves conserving as much energy as possible.

Carbohydrates blunt fat oxidation, blunt lipolysis and increase esterification in the adipocytes. So if you burn less fat, and you eat more fat, the fat you are eating gets stored. Eat enough carbs and every piece of fat you eat will be stored, and you get fatter. This does require a positive energetic balance as well.

When providing the body with a large bolus of monosachharides or similar, de novo lipogenesis starts to raise, but even with 500g of malto your talking around 4-5g of fat produced, hardly measureable in the whole body. And to lead to a increase in body fat mass, this has to totalled into an overall fat balance (as 4-5g produced can be lost to the postprandial periods energy requirements) and ultimately bodyweight. 4-5g is well below the theoretical energetic efficiency of carbs-&gt;fat with is 10g carb = 3g fat)

Typically the situations that DNL start getting higher are within massive carbohydrate overfeeding (some trials look at something like 1500+grams of carbs per day, but typically overfeeding subjects with around 500grams of extra carbs). Extreme low fat, high carb diets can increase carbohydrate -&gt; fat lipogenic pathways, but within modern society with 30+% fat/total energy tis not a reality.

To quote Hellerstien from his piece &quot;No common energy currency: de novo lipogenesis as the road less traveled&quot;

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Because storage of energy as lipid is much more efficient
than storage as carbohydrate, the presumption has been that animals use de novo lipogenesis as a metabolic safety valve for storage of carbohydrate energy present in excess of carbohydrate oxidative needs (ie, carbohydrate energy surplus). On the basis of this presumed role, inhibitors of de novo lipogenesis
[such as (–)hydroxycitrate, an inhibitor of ATP citrate (pro-S)- lyase] have received attention as potential therapeutic agents for obesity and hyperlipidemia.
Most experimental data in humans, however, contradict this view of the function of de novo lipogenesis. Initial studies in which indirect calorimetry was used showed little or no net de novo lipogenesis after short-term carbohydrate overfeeding (1). Subsequent isotopic studies confirmed the absence of quantitatively significant flux through hepatic de novo lipogenesis under most conditions of carbohydrate energy surplus (2, 3).</div>

and the fun piece

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">First, these results do not mean that extra carbohydrate energy represents “free” energy in terms of body fatness. By sparing fat in the body’s fuel mixture, surplus carbohydrate energy will make people fatter, even though it is not directly converted to fat.</div>

oh, and if I train 2 hours per day, 4 days per week that allows me 160 other hours to eat, sleep, read and work, especially in the area that my job requires me to, ie nutrition which is based in the understanding of physiology and biochemistry as it relates to humans.

If I told my boss, ahh just shut up and lift, that wouldnt work.

<div>
(vagrant @ Feb. 27 2007,16:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And &quot;shut up and lift&quot;.  That's what I finally had to do.  I was over analyzing everything to extreme detail and getting nowhere.  I was told by this really big guy those exact words.

Food goes in, work goes out, if the work is against resistance, muscles grow.</div>
And this is exactly why I even posted in this thread,

Let's say you go to 10 gyms and pick out 10 of the largest guys you find, ask each one what is needed to grow and you'll get 10 different answers.

Looking at the shut up and lift mentality; again go ask each one of these big guys what to lift and you'll get 10 different answers.

How about the &quot;eat&quot; part; again ask these 10 guys what to eat and how much........well you get my point.

Vagrant, I get your point as well but if science was so unimportant or rather if &quot;bro Logic&quot; was so important why are you even here, obviously something attracted you to HST, a system designed out of Bryan's scrutiny of scientific literature and years of practical experience and application of the scientific scrutiny.

Aaron, good stuff my friend and I'm glad you didn't decide to say ahhhhhhhhh F*ck it.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Feb. 28 2007,08:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Vagrant, I get your point as well but if science was so unimportant or rather if &quot;bro Logic&quot; was so important why are you even here, obviously something attracted you to HST, a system designed out of Bryan's scrutiny of scientific literature and years of practical experience and application of the scientific scrutiny.</div>
Did I say it's &quot;so unimportant&quot;. No. I said we tend to read too much into it too often and over analzye things.

The question was can protein convert to fat.

Aaron's answer was, &quot;rarely happens in humans&quot;. Again - look around. See all the fat people? Yeah, it happens.

If we eat more protein than we can utilize it will be converted to carbohydrate (glucose/glycogen), once glycogen stores are full and there is no more storage space it has no where to go. So it's stored as body fat.

A simple concept really. No studies needed. It's been understood for many years.

I still say, understand the basic metabolic process so you can figure out how much of what you as an individual should be eating.

Then lift some damn weights.

It's not rocket science - it's building muscle and burning fat. Nothing complicated about it really.

What attracted me here in the first place? Simple. I was injured and started lifting higher reps with very light weight, gradually increasing. As I healed I went with more weight and less reps. As I healed even more, more weight and less reps still. Someone said, &quot;oh, you're doing HST&quot;. So I thought I'd check it out since I'd never heard of it.

No question about it it works. But guess what? I don't care why. Just that it does. There is science behind pretty much every successful program. And they all work. For my body and my abilities...this one seems to add mass the best. Why do I take part in the forum? Because when folks ask me for a simple answer to how I changed myself so much I send them here. It would be hypocritical of me not to be here if I'm sending folks here and telling them to do HST if I don't believe in it and support it myself. I even do it when I'm wanting to add size.

I used the term &quot;Bro Logic&quot; because I've seen it here so often and it seems to be used as a derogatory term for anecdotal evidence. Sorry, but anecdotal evidence cannot be discounted. It goes along with experience.

An example. In my work there is one drug that was taken to the very bottom of resuscitation protocols all over the world, it almost ceased to be used because the evidence didn't show that it actually did anything. However, I've seen with my own use that it does work in the right situation. I kept giving it when I felt it was appropriate. I had the highest successful resuscitation rate of anyone due to this. This means that more of my patients went home and got to live versus others who didn't get that medication. Guess what? It's now back up there where it belongs. More studies were done to see why those of us who were still using it were more successful than those who weren't. They showed that the first one was wrong and that the anecdotal evidence was actually correct.

So yeah, when someone with 60lbs more muscle than I have tells me something in the gym...I'm going to listen. May even try it to see if it works for me.

Well my friend (good friend, too), you're wrong on one point of your brologic. The people you look at on the streets with innertubes for bellies are not that way from eating too much protein.
90% of your grocery shelves are packed with packaged processed carbs. Look in their (the fat guys) carts and you won't see more than 10-20% proteins.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 28 2007,09:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well my friend (good friend, too), you're wrong on one point of your brologic. The people you look at on the streets with innertubes for bellies are not that way from eating too much protein.
90% of your grocery shelves are packed with packaged processed carbs. Look in their (the fat guys) carts and you won't see more than 10-20% proteins.</div>
I wish beef jerky was cheaper.
wow.gif
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wish beef jerky was cheaper</div>

You got that right. I also wish they would skip the msg. I have been buying the &quot;World Kitchen&quot; old fashion jerky from Wal-mart. It's about $8/lb which is not too bad. I have a recipe to make my own but what a pain in the *ass that is as well as time consuming. I love the jerky though.

Keystone

Got an oven or food dehydrator?

Make your own jerky.

200 degrees for 24 hours I think...but check the recipe to be sure on that. Venison jerky is good too.

<div>
(vagrant @ Mar. 01 2007,02:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aaron's answer was, &quot;rarely happens in humans&quot;. Again - look around. See all the fat people? Yeah, it happens.</div>
I see logic is not your strong suit.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's not rocket science - it's building muscle and burning fat. Nothing complicated about it really.</div>
Its not rocket science at all, its biochemistry.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I used the term &quot;Bro Logic&quot; because I've seen it here so often and it seems to be used as a derogatory term for anecdotal evidence. Sorry, but anecdotal evidence cannot be discounted. It goes along with experience.
</div>

When emperical evidence is provided, anecdotes become worthless garbage.

&quot;bro logic&quot; is a term for a typical meat head who believes something because thats what meatheads beleive.

Meatheads beleive People eat carbs
Meatheads believe People are fat

So the meathead devleops some Bro-logic to support his concept. It doesnt matter if its not physiologically sound or even relevant, he just says it.

So he decides that carbs convert to fat.

Something that has been happening in bbing for years.

In so creating a false correlation

Now you can believe whatever you want, but if you make a claim based upon a biochemical process, back it with some research.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So yeah, when someone with 60lbs more muscle than I have tells me something in the gym...I'm going to listen. May even try it to see if it works for me.</div>

then maybe you should go visit Ronnie coleman becuase obviously he is not trraining HST, adn he is bigger than us all?

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Mar. 01 2007,03:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aaron, is Hellerstien`s piece you mentioned freely available?</div>
Send me an email and I can send it to you. it is 100Kb so I can´t up load it.

Vagrant, you might not be thinking things through when you're arguing your position concerning protein.  As Quad said, too many diets are extremely high in carbs (especially simple carbs) and low in protein.  When I tried the Atkins diet years ago, I lost a great deal of weight, and I gorged constantly on protein, and had very little carbs.  I don't know what my caloric intake was, but even though I ate a huge amount of meat, my diet was probably lower in calories than a typical guy who eats alot of processed carbs all day.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No question about it it works.  But guess what?  I don't care why.  Just that it does.  There is science behind pretty much every successful program.  And they all work.  For my body and my abilities...this one seems to add mass the best.  Why do I take part in the forum?  Because when folks ask me for a simple answer to how I changed myself so much I send them here.  It would be hypocritical of me not to be here if I'm sending folks here and telling them to do HST if I don't believe in it and support it myself.  I even do it when I'm wanting to add size.</div>

I'll have to give that statement a huge Amen, and I'm not even religious !  We are so fortunate to be living in this technological age where we have such a huge amount of information about bbing at our fingertips.  I wish the internet and all these bbing forums had been around when I was 16 yrs old.  I wouldn't have got so frustrated with practically my only source of information (m&amp;f magazine) and given up on bbing. There are many great programs available on the internet (not just HST).  Some of them are the result of pure science, and some from on an athlete's or coach's personal experience; but most of them seem to be from both sources.  

The great thing about this is that you don't need to know much about the science to work a program or construct a good diet.  Just as a race car driver doesn't need to know much about his car's engine, an athlete doesn't need to know much about his body to perform. If you're an athlete all you have to do is a little studying about a program, check references, work the program, and closely monitor your progress. The internet makes it so easy. All it takes is common sense. So, if the science behind bbing interests you, then by all means study it, but all that will accomplish is to make you either a better professional or amateur scientist, not a better bber.  What you learn should depend on what you want to achieve, so stay focused on your ambition.

I spoke anecdotally but scientifically by census: I've had a near lifetime habit of looking at what people put in their grocery carts. Sort of like people who slow way down to look at an accident, thinking they're going to see something new. It's a sickness, I'll admit!

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 01 2007,11:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's a sickness, I'll admit!</div>
That's always the first step, recognizing your problem. Keep at it you'll be just fine
biggrin.gif

Back